GSR serial number?

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I have a big NGD post in the works, but before I post it, there's one question nagging the back of my mind. My understanding is that acoustic GSR models followed the standard New Hartford serial number scheme: N, then a letter for the year, then the serial number (so a 2010 would be NN-----). Here's an example from an old Reverb listing, the same model that I bought:

GSR-reverb-serial.jpg

And this is what I got, with no introductory letters:

GSR-serial.jpg

Anyone seen anything like this? I can't imagine the guitar is a counterfeit--it would take a heck of a lot of work to fake the numerous fine touches. But I've never seen a serial number like this.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
First time I have seen a New Hartford Soundhole Label without the 2 letter prefix. It could have been left off by accident as it looks to be a legit label. All of my GSR Acoustics I have owned followed the regular New Hartford serial number setup with the only difference from a production model label being the Handwritten "GSR" Designation. Have you tried looking at the inside of the top with a mirror or putting your Cell Phone in the soundhole to take a photo? Sometimes the tops were signed and dated with the finish date of the top.

Also if it came with the original Paperwork there should be an inspection card in the case that has the original serial number written on it. Since there were no more than 20 of each model made you can try to find other examples from past for sale ads of your model and pin down the year it was made from the rest of them as there were only certain models made each year. Hope this info helps and look forward to your NGD Post!

TX

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi Jeff,
since I also own an original bought GSR F-30 Rosewood I had created a serial number list for all 20 of them but there are a few white spots in my list and I had not seen 311001 before. The youngest number I had was NN222003, so a day 311 made one is a late one. Who knows why they missed the NN on the label. Is this the one coming from Barkhamsted, CT? Was this a former Guild employee selling it?

Looking at the handwriting, the pen seems to be the same used for the NH labels, however the person who wrote the numbers was not the "normal person" writing them as for instance the style is slightly different how the number "3" or the "GSR" was written and also the script leans to the left, usually it leans to the right on most labls I have seen in pictures.

The guitar however is definitely a NH made GSR F-30 Rosewood as I can see from all the features visible if it is the one from Barkhamsted, CT.

However the more interesting thing is that day 311 in 2010 was a Sunday (7th of November)! That's odd! So I was initially thinking maybe an early one made in 2009 already? But I don't think that is a 2009 one as the earliest S/N of a GSR F-30 R in my records is NN104002, so 2009 is impossible. I guess only the seller could tell you... When did he buy her and where? He claimed to be the original buyer, right?

Ralf

Last edited:

geoguy

Reaction score
And it appears that 11/7/09 was a Saturday, so also not likely.

But 11/7/11 was a Monday, so that's maybe a possibility? Or the label writer was confused about more than just the s/n prefix . . .

By the way, Ralf, what is the next-to-oldest GSR F-30 R s/n in your list?

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
11/7/11 was a Monday, so that's maybe a possibility?...By the way, Ralf, what is the next-to-oldest GSR F-30 R s/n in your list?
I think as the youngest in my list is NN222003 it is highly unlikely that one was made more than one year later in November 2011. The oldest (or earliest S/N) in my list is NN104002 and the second oldest is NN104005, so at least 2 left the factory on that same day. However I only have 10 of the 20 serial numbers, and know of 15 sold and 5 unaccounted for so far. I don't think many were made earlier than NN104. The early ones sold from Union Music, Street Sounds and Mandolin Brothers. At least 3 each sold in Germany and UK, 2 in Canada, one in Japan, so I am only missing one of the ten shipped overseas but 4 sold in the US.

Ralf

Last edited:

geoguy

Reaction score
Ok, so most likely all of the GSR F30 R models were produced in 2010.

And one of the two oldest might have been the one we enjoyed at the first LMG factory event in New Hartford.

Thanks.

@jeffcoop: I hope you are enjoying your new-to-you guitar! Be sure to post more photos when you have time.:eek:nthego: