Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy B-Day Sir Paul

Happy B-Day Sir Paul

Sir Paul McCartney is 77 today. Happy birthday Walrus!!!

Busted out in SoFlo waiting on a Guild,
    Scott
    '66 MKII "Marketta
    '76 D-25M-E "Donna"
    '78 D-50 "Dharma"
    '98 Starfire 4 "Summer"

"Well done is better than well said"-Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by CA-35 View Post
    Sir Paul McCartney is 77 today. Happy birthday Walrus!!!

It's not my birthday today, only Paul's!

walrus
    1958 Gibson ES-225T
    2011 Guild F-30RCE

Gone but not forgotten (Guilds only): 1963 A-50, 1965 X-50BL, 1967 T-100D, 1968 Mark II, 1960's Baritone Ukulele, 1977 S-60, 1984 D-64, 1997 SFII, 1998 SFIV, 1998 Bluesbird Cherry Sunburst, 2001 Bluesbird P90 Natural

He seems to have taken care of himself well. Good on him!!! George was always my favorite but loved the entire group for sure. Great memories.
    '18 D 40T Cust. X 2
    '64 D 50 Braz. RW
    '98 D 60
    '81 D 70
    '94 DV 72
    '94 DV 73
    '13 DD6 MCE
    '10 F 40 GSR Coco.
    '12 F 47 GSR KC
    '08 F 50R
    '74 D 55-12
    '65 F 312
    '07 F 412
    '95 JF 100 NT CRV
    '97 Deco #3
    '99 Finesse
    '13 Orph. Jumbo
    45th/50th/60th Anniv.
    '94 CR01
    '01 Peregrine
    '64 S 50
    '60 T 100 C
    '74 M-75 CS
    '55-X 50
    '65 X 50
    '00 X 170
    '57 X 175
    '70's M 75 CS
    '68 St 301
    '69 St 402
    '98 SF 2
    '65 SF 3
    '81 SF 4
    '67 SF 5
    '67 SF 12
    Blues 90X2
    '60 X 150

Geez, seems like only a short time ago I was listening to a local radio program celebrating Macca's 70th. Not surprised he's still going strong.

-Dave-
    1962 F-20 Troubadour
    1970 M-75 Bluesbird
    1971 S-100 "Black Cherry"
    1973 S-100 "Nature Boy"
    1990 Nightbird Custom
    1999 X-170T
    2013 NS M-75 Aristocrat
    2016 NS S-200 T-bird

c. 1971 Foxey Lady

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Strummer View Post
    Geez, seems like only a short time ago I was listening to a local radio program celebrating Macca's 70th. Not surprised he's still going strong.

-Dave-
    He's getting secret transfusions of Keith Richards' blood.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

and to think the Beatles broke up nearly 50 years ago. He would have been like 27 at the time, something like that, which is still so young, and the greatest band just totally ended it all.
    Wood

down to just the Br ('71 D25) again...

https://soundcloud.com/woody-adams/sets/not-metal

Quote Originally Posted by Westerly Wood View Post
    and to think the Beatles broke up nearly 50 years ago.
    "Officially" announced by Paul in April '70 but rumors had been rife for months (in the industry, I guess, because everything seemed rosy to an 8th grader hearing the singles and even album cuts from Abbey Road on top-40 AM radio in the fall of '69 to spring of '70).
    Apparently he kind of mis-judged how to make the announcement, according to the Beatles Bible:
    "The world reaction was like 'The Beatles Have Broken Up – It's Official' – we'd known it for months. So that was that, really. I think it was the press who misunderstood. The record had come with this weird explanation on a questionnaire of what I was doing. It was actually only for them. I think a few people thought it was some weird move of me to get publicity, but it was really to avoid having to do the press."
    Quote Originally Posted by Westerly Wood View Post
    He would have been like 27 at the time, something like that, which is still so young, and the greatest band just totally ended it all.
    As you may be aware, tensions had actually been simmering even as far back as the White Album sessions and were brought to a boil by the battle over who the new manager should be:
    "Klein contacted John Lennon after reading his press comment that the Beatles would be "broke in six months" if things continued as they were.[80] On January 26, 1969, he met with Lennon, who retained Klein as his financial representative, and the next day met with the other Beatles. Paul McCartney preferred to be represented by Lee and John Eastman, the father and brother respectively of McCartney's girlfriend Linda, whom he married on March 12. Given a choice between Klein and the Eastmans, George Harrison and Ringo Starr preferred Klein. Following rancorous London meetings with both Eastmans, in April Klein was appointed as the Beatles' manager on an interim basis, with the Eastmans being appointed as their attorneys. Continued conflict between Klein and the Eastmans made this arrangement unworkable. The Eastmans were dismissed as the Beatles' attorneys, and on May 8 Klein was given a three-year contract as the business manager of the Beatles. McCartney refused to sign the contract but was out-voted by the other Beatles.[81][82]"
    I can imagine the meetings were about as much fun as a messy divorce.
    If a reminder is needed, Allen Klein was still managing and was the man responsible for making the Rolling Stones the most well-compensated band in the world at the time.
    Apparently during Abbey Road session things were actually a lot like "the good old days", atmosphere-wise, and I don't recall anybody making a big deal out of John's "side projects" like the Bed-in and the Live Peace in Toronto concert in '69, or "Instant Karma" coming out as a Lennon solo single.
    Indeed I'd hazard that in my neck of the woods at least, the release of Woodstock (March '70) and its accompanying soundtrack was getting a lot more attention than what was going on with the Beatles.
    Led Zeppelin II, released in fall '69 was still making huge waves too, presaging a changing of the guard in the music world in general:
    CSNY was following up the monster Crosby Stills and Nash with Deja Vu at the same time, with similar effect.
    And oh yeah, even though they largely gagged me, Creedence Clearwater Revival were a huge radio presence at the time as well: Cosmo's Factory topped charts in 6 countries.
    I was kind of surprised to realize just now that in terms of "radio-friendly" solo albums, Ringo was actually first to release one!
    Sentimental Journey, March 27 '70
    (And if you grant Live Peace in Toronto the technicality that it's credited as a Plastic Ono Band album not a Lennon solo album).
    And Ringo even had a hit with "It Don't Come Easy" which I liked very much.
    But still didn't see it as writing on the wall.
    Anyway, by the time Paul's "press release" came out it was almost a yawner, like "So you're finally making it official?".
    Although yes at the time I did feel pangs of regret.
    I still wanted to hear more of my favorite "Lennon Beatles" stuff like "Hey Bulldog" from Yellow Submarine (and George's tunes on that album too), but since he'd given us "Instant Karma" I wasn't too worried, he was still my favorite Beatle.
    I've only come to give Paul his just respects in the last few years, so yes, Happy Birthday, Paul!
    Last edited by adorshki; 06-19-2019 at 07:34 PM.
    Al
    All bought new!

Give George Harrison credit for "It Don't Come Easy" - he basically wrote it, and gave the sole credit to Ringo to help him financially. Very similar riff to George's riff in Cream's "Badge".

Here's George's version, notice the "Hare Krishna"'s in the chorus!

walrus
    1958 Gibson ES-225T
    2011 Guild F-30RCE

Gone but not forgotten (Guilds only): 1963 A-50, 1965 X-50BL, 1967 T-100D, 1968 Mark II, 1960's Baritone Ukulele, 1977 S-60, 1984 D-64, 1997 SFII, 1998 SFIV, 1998 Bluesbird Cherry Sunburst, 2001 Bluesbird P90 Natural

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Give George Harrison credit for "It Don't Come Easy" - he basically wrote it, and gave the sole credit to Ringo to help him financially. Very similar riff to George's riff in Cream's "Badge".
    walrus
    Right, it was the tune that made me read the credits on Goodbye very closely, discovering the presence of one "L'Angelo Mysterioso" on that tune.
    And the light went on.
    'Cause I thought it was Clapton on "It Don't Come Easy" when I first heard it because of the tone.

Still, point was that it was actually Ringo who got the first "radio ready" solo album out under his own name.
    Last edited by adorshki; 06-19-2019 at 07:50 PM.
    Al
    All bought new!

It does come easy, "by George"

Ralph