Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are large guitars called Dreadnoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    Final trivia tidbit:
    I think it must have been within my first couple of months after I first registered when I posted in a thread questioning the spelling of the term.
    LOL, so Al. I am surprised you waited 2 months Al, come on now...:) Now that is patience.
    Wood

down to just the Br ('71 D25) again...

https://soundcloud.com/woody-adams/sets/not-metal

Quote Originally Posted by Guildedagain View Post
    In earlier times, they called it a Man O' War.

And then flash forward, from Bunga Bunga to Cowabunga ;)

The Chief and the star of the show he appeared on:
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

I'm guessing "The Chief" would not be as popular today...

walrus
    1958 Gibson ES-225T
    2011 Guild F-30RCE

Gone but not forgotten (Guilds only): 1963 A-50, 1965 X-50BL, 1967 T-100D, 1968 Mark II, 1960's Baritone Ukulele, 1977 S-60, 1984 D-64, 1997 SFII, 1998 SFIV, 1998 Bluesbird Cherry Sunburst, 2001 Bluesbird P90 Natural

Hm. As most of us know, dread nought and dread naught both mean fear nothing. So for years I assumed name for the guitar size was in honor of those big, fearless warships, too.

We can't blame Martin's marketing department for invoking the glamorous connection to big, domineering ships. But I've read that there was a more practical reason for calling those big guitars dreadnaughts and dreadnoughts.

Dread is also an old word for four. Four zeros - four naughts - originally simply meant that it was a bigger model than a Martin 00 and 000 - or any other guitar around.

A minor problem was that quadruple-oh is a mouthful. But - fear not! Dreadnought is easier to say - and clever, too, because of the big boats with the loud cannons.

But fast forward to a new century. Now Martin has guitars it calls 0000s, which are also bigger than 00s and 000s. If you want one, you have to be ready to cough up that even bigger word: quadruple-oh.

It's probably worth the effort.
    Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 06-21-2019 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Dread is also an old word for four.
    The problem I'm having with this one is that absolutely nowhere do I find any confirmation of that, nor have I ever come across it in a lifetime of voracious reading.
    Can your source cite a source for that?
    Al
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    The problem I'm having with this one is that absolutely nowhere do I find any confirmation of that, nor have I ever come across it in a lifetime of voracious reading.
    Can your source cite a source for that?
    Nope! Been looking around for it, myself. Damned if I can remember where I read it. If I find something, I'll be back here with the goods. Dread not!

I'm just glad the nautical ship class / guitar size naming convention ended at dreadnought. Hey guys, has anyone played a pre-war Martin dinghy (uke)?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Nope! Been looking around for it, myself. Damned if I can remember where I read it. If I find something, I'll be back here with the goods. Dread not!

But,
    I smell myth based on the fallacious contention that "dread" was an old word for "four".
    But hey I'll gladly see the evidence if you ever find it!
    But don't get too Ditsy when looking.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike1100 View Post
    I'm just glad the nautical ship class / guitar size naming convention ended at dreadnought. Hey guys, has anyone played a pre-war Martin dinghy (uke)?
    I'd probably be more interested in a catamaran:
    Last edited by adorshki; 06-21-2019 at 08:29 PM.
    Al
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by mike1100 View Post

Perhaps someone in the orchestra of Dinghy Song

First good guitar - GUILD Duane Eddy 400 - I was 3rd owner - still regret letting it go 25 years ago - used to have Artist Award and Starfire - no regrets here.
    Present guitars - all bought new - F50R 1975 - F512 1977 - F212CSB 1979 - OM-240CE 2018 - Schecter Startocaster
    Bought secondhand - B30SB fretless - RED Songbird - White Songbird - S-60D - D-125 - Gibson 3/4-size acoustic 1957 - Carmelo Gonzales nylon string - old Levin Lute

Nuuska - Ruth Wallis, now she's one saucy dish.