Sweetwater Music Gear Fest

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Me and a friend are headed to Ft. Wayne tomorrow morning for the Gear Fest, lots of exhibitors plus Doyle Dykes and Ricky Skaggs will be there.

Guild will have a booth there, I'll grab some photos.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was watching Doyle live on the internet at 10:15am EST today.

The 55 minutes live stream was recorded, so you can watch the whole concert at this link.
Scroll down on the sweetwater page and search for the "Fingerstyle Acoustic Workshop: Doyle Dykes" video, 4th row first one on my screen.
Just mind that you need to go to about minute 5 in the video, as the first 5 minutes is just a "Starting soon" screen!

https://www.sweetwater.com/gearfest...91-Rn0EsobaJ62MbruhjjeaHojzeZ8xX3mRNabgZ0PMdA

He was playing following Guilds today:

DD-6MCE
D-55 (I assume an Oxnard one, without pickup, he played her unplugged)
DD-12MCE
Starfire III (his 1961 emerald green one with DeArmonds)

He said the DD-6MCE with L.R. Baggs Stagepro LB6 System Ren Fergusson designed for him is the best guitar he played in his whole life!

And he said "I'm so glad to be back with Guild! This will be the last venture in the music business I will do in my life!"

ojG6Z5G.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Green Starfire with Bigsby, bucket list guitar...
I really wonder if Guild will bring out a Starfire III with DeArmond pickups again, Doyle seems to love them, he has at least 3 in different colors (emerald, black and cherry).
Ralf

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I only played the F-40 Traditional on the left, it was so loud around there that you couldn't really appreciate the nuances of an acoustic guitar. But they were all beautiful, workmanship was impeccable.

KYukW9X.jpg

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
and a tip of the hat to the D'Addario folks for re-stringing my mandolin for free! I told them I switched to their guitar strings when they quit making Nashville Straights, it's true. That had to have been 30 years ago.

I also got a free set of phosphor bronze mediums for my guitar at the LaBella booth, I will try these at some point in the future as well.

I lusted after many guitars there, including a sweet Martin D-41 and a D-42 they had on display. Interestingly, no D-45 there. Of course, I think those go for about $10K now.

There was a like brand new old (95?) Rickenbacher Fireglo 6-string with OSC and all original case candy in the swap meet tent for $1,600.00, that was real tempting but I
resisted.

I also had to resist buying the vintage '69 Kustom 500 head and tall cabinet, black padded, $600.00. Wouldn't have fit in the car, LOL. If it were blue I might have strapped the cab to the top of the car, LOL.

What a huge place! And they have another even bigger warehouse under construction on-site right now. They're hiring like crazy, and what's not to like about more jobs?

And kudos to Sweetwater for providing multiple stations with free bottled water on ice. And nice, inexpensive lunches, 6-8 bucks.

I think I shall go back next year.

PittPastor

Reaction score
Man that looks like such a great time! Thanks for the report Dread! Livin' vicariously through you! Ralf, as usual you have the eyes of an eagle and the recall of an elephant... [EDIT: What I meant by that is there is an old legend that an elephant never forgets. I have no idea where that comes from...]