Folk Strings And Things, D35, F30 Updates.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I did finally put GHS Silk & Bronze strings on the old standby '73 D35 to match the strings on the more recent acquisition '71 D35 and;

The '71 was still much bassier than the '73, which has a lot less bass overall, but also really barks out an A chord, whereas the '71 doesn't cut through anywhere the same in the mids, like the A chord.

I then restrung the '71 with John Pearse Silk and Bronze because of slippage issues with the perfectly good GHS Silk & Bronze strings on it, learning curve with these weird Kluson Safty Post tuners (hole down the center like Fender tuners). First I'd cut some of the strings too long, too much wind, then slightly too short and on a couple strings, especially the B, the string kept slipping. The magic number for anyone who has to deal with these particular tuners is 1 1/2 tuners spacing of extra string past the post, tuck in and wind, leaving just over two wraps, perfect.

Sometime else a little odd about the new D35, sucker rings for a long time. I actually timed it, and when guys say "sustains for days", I'm seeing about ten seconds average decent sustain. But the '73, listening carefully in a quiet house, 20 seconds till al fade out, like wow!

Right here I have to say that I probably won't be putting anything but JP Silk & Bronze strings on any of my guitars from now on, clearly superior, and now I can't wait to put a set on the '73, on the '96 D5CE and maybe even on the '71 F30, even tho it sounds flabbergastingly good with the GHS Silk & Steels that are on it. Maybe that one needs the slightly tinnier tone of the Silk & Steels to balance out the bass rather than the Silk & Bronze?

So here I am, spending a coupe hours restringing, playing, recording these two D35's, and then after dinner, I get the F30 out of the case (tired of D35's), take it over to the bed, sit there in the dark and start playing it, and damnitall but it suddenly dawns on me, this guitar sounds freaking TERRIFIC, and the action is great. This is after a few months of ownership, tender loving care and constant use of damp sponges in the case. The guitar was a mess when I got it, and it has evolved into such a fine guitar.

The guitar has come around to the point where not only it has fine action, but I could very well be upstaging the D sound for me at this time.

The stuff I heard from this guitar last night, some I just had to record, was astounding. The ringing of the old standby chords, especially E, is awesome. Chords that ring like that just make me want to play on and on and on...

Another realization, now that I have a '71 F212, is that the angelic tone of the 12 comes through in the F30, it's got that chime, really beautiful. Must be an EQ that comes from the Jumbo body shape.

The F212 is coming along also. I now have the bone nut and bridge saddle I needed to make it play right, but even with a very compromised saddle (too low on the low E causing wretched buzzing, too high on the G causing sharp fretted notes), I have been able to tune it to where I'm in standard pitch capo'd at the second fret to make a backing track for electric guitar and bass, and it sounded so good, absolutely word class.

I can only imagine where that one is headed eventually, but recovery can only sound sweeter.

Now I just need to figure out a good external mike and preamp for recording, or some kind of a p'up I can move from instrument to instrument that actually does the instrument justice.

Is there such an animal, and a particular pre-amp y'all like?

Last edited:

Br1ck

Reaction score
Are you looking for a dedicated mic pre, or a recording interface with good built in pres? How much money do you have?

A moderately priced condenser mic I like is the Shure SM 81. My MOTU Track 16 is my interface and the pre's in that sound good.

A friend has three or four channel strips from a studio console, Apogee I think. Then again, he has some Manley pres and mics if you don't need to buy a car instead.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I just want something that goes into a Ditto and comes back with enough volume so I don't have to turn my amp way up to get decent playback volume.

I have an old Barcus Berry preamp, but it seems to function a lot better as a white noise generator than it does a preamp....

Basically I just want to be able to "plug in" with a variety of acoustic guitars without modding them, and get good sounding amplification, through an electric guitar amp usually.