A New Hartford-built Fender Kingman

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
LMG attendees may remember seeing "Antigua" Fender Kingman guitars being built in the New Hartford factory in the Ren Ferguson days. This appears to be a later (and better-looking) edition of that guitar. The less-than-stellar reputation of Fender-branded acoustic guitars in general has likely depressed it's resale value (my opinion only) but I'd bet that it's a super-nice guitar for the money.

https://reverb.com/item/24947248-fe...ild-d-55-engelmann-honduran-rosewood-12-of-25

And, I don't care for the headstock, either!

Last edited:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Pretty nice looking guitar with interesting appointments. I'm not in the market for something like this but would really like to hear what it sounds like. I've only ever owned 2 Fender acoustics and they were way back in the day. Both were lousy but I know they've built some decent ones in recent years. A couple members here have them I think and if memory serves me right they are happy with them.

F312

Reaction score
I never had that type of headstock like that before on a acoustic, but it's not a deal breaker for me. The run out on top is what I don't like. I'm going to contact the seller, I think I'm interested in this one, and I have too many guitars as it is.

Ralph

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
That head on acoustic just wrongs me.

Same for lotsa folks. But I recall talking with a factory employee and the target audience was a Strat or Tele player who wanted thensize/feel of the electric neck, Fender brand and a nice acoustic sound. There was definitely a suggestion that anyone who wanted a fine acoustic guitar could do better with other instruments from the same factory.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

I remember that in 60-70 that Fender headstock on acoustic guitar looked quite fancy - because of Fender - but after that time it is more and more downright uglier - or more peculiar or grotesque or . . .

GuildInAtlanta

Reaction score
I stumbled across a few NOS Fenders made in the New Hartford factory when looking for New Hartford Guilds. A shop owner who had both at one time told me the Fenders do not sound like Guilds, regardless of what the Reverb poster implies in his description. Below are some videos where you can get the general idea of the different tones.

Video of a Fender - with Rosewood Back & Sides
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci18ntReONI

Video of the Fender Master Builds - Maple Back & Sides
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of9aapRLhAs

Video of Guilds (A D55/Rosewood is included in this demo)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJARCV6z-2U

I couldn't find a video of the exact Fender for sale, but I think you can get the general idea. Who knows? It might be your cup of tea? I just thought I would pass along some information in case you're considering it and want to make an informed decision.

- Robert

Last edited:

F312

Reaction score
Does anyone know about the prominent lines in the grain he speaks of, will it split or is it just the look of the grain? Does anyone have experience with such grain lines?

Ralph

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Does anyone know about the prominent lines in the grain he speaks of, will it split or is it just the look of the grain?
Looking at those two pictures it is impossible to tell what this is. Only on inspection against light you could see if those are lacquer cracks or wood cracks or none of them. The seller mentions them but says they are not in the lacquer. Maybe no concern.

https://images.reverb.com/image/upl...upersize/v1559432303/qszznz91qkidpxia5ssi.jpg

https://images.reverb.com/image/upl...upersize/v1559432408/iw5i9fwkp3rbdaf7v43z.jpg

Ralf

F312

Reaction score
Hard to tell but looks like the lines are in the same place on both sides, which makes it seem it would be the wood grain. Could've been a wet, or dry year to stress the wood.

beecee

Reaction score
Headstock aside I find the bridge reminds me of a barbershop quartet singer's mustasch.

Kinda bad Gibson-lite-ish

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
At least they had certificates with date and serial number, not like the Guild certificate without serial number.
Here's a picture of another one I found on the internet:

1685107700743.png

Ralf

Last edited:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Looks like I may be in the minority yet again but I think this guitar looks pretty nice. Yup, the headstock doesn't have the "usual" shape you'd expect to see on an acoustic headstock but that wouldn't bother me really provided the guitar sounded wonderful.

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Slight veer. On one of the LMG tours there were a number of Fender acoustics, dread shape IIRC, in bright colors. It made me think that if I had some extra money (yeah, right) it would be worth it to get one and take it to a Bluegrass jam, just to see the looks on the Martin guys faces. Some have looked askance when I showed up to one with a D-50. They might get apoplectic if they saw a pastel Fender!

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looks like the guitar Merle Travis used to play, but what did he know...lol