Just bough a 73' F40 Blonde

Reaction score
Hello , this is my first time here. I have bought and sold dozens of electric's and a few acoustics but have never ownered a Guild. I sold all my guitars and amps but wanted to have an acoustic so I bought a Gibson slope shoulder Walnut J-15. It is an amazing guitar. The I found this F-40 and pulled the trigger. I have always wanted a Blonde Guild Jumbo and I bought one yesterday. I am impatiently waiting for it to arrive!
Are the older F40's as good s what I have read?

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome to LTG! I'm sure some F40 owners will chime in shortly!

walrus

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

I'm thinking that's going to be a gem. Yes, those walnut J-15s are just darn good, but you gotta have a jumbo too, man! Good score! And welcome to the boards!

bobouz

Reaction score
The '70s F-40 has always been one of my favorite guitars, and I currently own a '74. In case you didn't realize, it's not a full size 17" jumbo, but rather a 16" small-jumbo. The small waist makes it a very comfortable instrument to play while seated, and I love the neck profile on mine.

Tone can of course vary from guitar to guitar, but generally you'll find maple bodies to have more of a dry & percussive tone, with very good note separation.

Congrats & enjoy!

X-170AB

Reaction score
Welcome Stradibarrius!

Glad you're enjoying your new F-40.

Forgive me for saying so, but I think this thread belongs in the Acoustic section of the forum–maybe one of the mods could move it there?

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome! Stick around, it is great group of folks here.

I lucked into my '61 and it is one of my guitars that my heirs will have to figure out what to do with. Play yours in good health.

We love photos. Here's mine:

o2aIHohl.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, "Strad".
The last time I did a tally, the F40 body/outline has yielded more variations on a type than any other Guild model (43), even dreadnoughts.
And I probably missed a couple.
I like to say "Read between those lines".

Edited 9/16/19:
Member Ralf (SFIV1967) finally came up with a tally of dreadnought bodies that exceeded my own last count of 47/48 total:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?199814-Which-model-did-Guild-build-the-most-of

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome aboard, "Strad".
The last time I did a tally, the F40 body/outline has yielded more variations on a type than any other Guild model (43), even dreadnoughts.

Wow Al, that's a fact I wouldn't have guessed.

Beautiful guitar GJ!

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I have three F 40's. One is the new Oxnard build which is really a Jumbo unlike the original F 40. The 2nd is a NH built F 40 GSR in Cocobolo and it is just flat out superb. The last is an old '72 Westerly F 40 beat to hell (but I got at a nice price) and it has turned into my go to guitar. The one I take down off the wall when I have a new idea for a song or just feel like playing a bit. I'm a fan of all of them and am willing to bet you will be as well.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Wow Al, that's a fact I wouldn't have guessed.
:friendly_wink:
"F40 owners will chime in shortly!"
That's a chorus I'd like to hear ;)

The origin of my crusade for Oxnard to bring back "the one true F40":
F40 Lovers Unite!

Hopefully, Doyle Dykes will help push things along, since the Doyle Dykes models from New Hartford were derived from the F47 (and are counted in my 43 variations tally), and according toSFIV1967 he said DD6Mce is the best guitar he's ever played, post #3, here:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?199519-Sweetwater-Music-Gear-Fest

bobouz

Reaction score
I have three F 40's. One is the new Oxnard build which is really a Jumbo unlike the original F 40. The 2nd is a NH built F 40 GSR in Cocobolo and it is just flat out superb. The last is an old '72 Westerly F 40 beat to hell (but I got at a nice price) and it has turned into my go to guitar. The one I take down off the wall when I have a new idea for a song or just feel like playing a bit. I'm a fan of all of them and am willing to bet you will be as well.

Richard, I thought the F-40 was reintroduced in 1973.

Does your serial number indicate it was made towards the end of '72?

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Richard, I thought the F-40 was reintroduced in 1973.

Does your serial number indicate it was made towards the end of '72?

Hello bobouz,

1973 was the first year that the F-40 was listed again in the price list, but quite a few were made during 1972.
That's usually how these things work out; you don't wait with production till the new price list or catalog is out!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Last edited:

bobouz

Reaction score
Thanks Hans - Thought that probably was the case, but wanted to confirm.

Reaction score
Guild Total
I bought a 72 F40 last year. Maple back and sides. Beautiful. From what I understand, they began producing them in 72 even though it didn't appear in their catalog until 73.