Reissue Starfire II scarf joint?

prairietelecaster

Reaction score
A store in my area has a new recent issue Starfire II that has a scarf joint on the neck/headstock. Isn't this an unusual feature?

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
First I thought the Starfire II might come from a different factory. The Starfire III is produced at SPG in Korea. It has Grover Sta-Tite tuners and a normal truss rod and it doesn not have that scarf joint in the neck.
Now as you saw, the Starfire II ST has a different construction and different features. It has no name tuners for instance and that odd scarf joint in the neck. Also a different and unusual triangle truss rod cover with 3 screws. Hence I assumed it comes form a different Asian factory, but I saw one at Thomann with a normal label coming from SPG in Korea as well. I have no idea why they choose to make the Starfire II St so different from the Starfire III coming out of the same factory. Maybe they wanted to produce the Starfire II ST at a much lower pricepoint.

starfire_II_st_hs_back_redo-1.jpg
starfire_II_st_hs_side_redo-1.jpg

Ralf

prairietelecaster

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I know scarf joints are fine but as stated above the look has always put me off. Makes me wonder about any solid painted guitar I have owned. Ha!

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
GScarf joints are fairly standard on luthier built custom instruments; especially with concerns about wasting valuable diminishing resources. It also can be stronger than a pure solid neck/headstock, since you’re able to get straight grain on both parts.
If done well, and correctly, you’ll never know it’s there. (The one shown in the pic was not done correctly. It looks like they were try to use too short neck stock rather than creating the headstock angle with it.)

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The one shown in the pic was not done correctly. It looks like they were try to use too short neck stock rather than creating the headstock angle with it.
They are all like this on the Starfire II ST ! Seems to be a "feature". They are actually 3 pieces necks as the 3rd piece is the neck heel. To compare with, the Starfire III seems to have a one piece neck.

Here's another Starfire II ST: https://bdbo2.thomann.de/thumb/bdb3000/pics/bdbo/10940799.jpg

Actually a lot of Asian guitars come like this, here another example of another manufacturer: https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/att...oint-why-so-many-cheap-guitars-scarfjoint-jpg
an an Epiphone from Unsung China (UC): http://i.imgur.com/KAgu1Tl.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
They are all like this on the Starfire II ST ! Seems to be a "feature". They are actually 3 pieces necks as the 3rd piece is the neck heel.
Yes, very common for custom instruments too. It allows the best use of materials. But where they put the scarf joint is questionable. Typically, the scarf joint is right at the headstock, either over or, my preference, under. (I feel under produces the strongest joint since the over- and under-lays, as well as the side wings, all go together to reinforce the joint. But, on both of these, the joint is right at the headstock and, usually, covered up.

The way Guild is doing it, they’re putting it further down the neck, for no good reason other than they don’t use mahogany that’s long enough.

Here’s a demo on how I do it.
https://acornhouseworkshop.com/2012/10/15/getting-ahead/

bobouz

Reaction score
I've always been put off by scarf joints near the peghead, and that one is particularly unattractive.

It just kinda screams "cheaply done."

theonemanband

Reaction score
Apologies for crashing the thread, but.........I recently bought a Newark Street Starfire 1V 12 string (fantastic instrument)!

It has a three piece neck (Mahogany with centre Maple strip). I assume this means there is no neck join (scarf or otherwise), as the three piece construction is much more stable for a 12string........correct?

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I recently bought a Newark Street Starfire 1V 12 string (fantastic instrument)!...I assume this means there is no neck join (scarf or otherwise).
Correct, the discussed construction is only on the new Starfire II Stoptail guitars. They also have this not typical truss rod cover with the 3 screws. The Starfire III, IV and VI have a different traditional construction.
Ralf