5 Hours of Music from 1971

JF-30

Reaction score
Yes form '71 till '77 were almost perfect. Tales should have been a single LP with the some of the fat cut, but that is about it.

I just rocked Going For The One yesterday.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yes form '71 till '77 were almost perfect. Tales should have been a single LP with the some of the fat cut, but that is about it.

I just rocked Going For The One yesterday.

They were one of those bands I never really warmed up to for several years even though my 2 best buddies were hardcore fans.
It was the Wakeman thing, he was too "busy" for my tastes, and if I had to decide where to put the hard-earned shekels it was Jeff Beck and other euro bands at that time.
The first one I ever bought was Relayer, loved the new keyboardist and the overall sound of "Gates of Delirium".
A couple of years later realized I really dug "Siberian Khatru" and started expanding the collection backwards.
Also really loved 90125's "Owner of a Lonely Heart" after coming to see the '80's as the best era since the '60's for a "pop renaissance" with Talking Heads and Police, Simple Minds, even (gasp!) Duran Duran's Seven and the Ragged Tiger, and U2, and the Bangles, and...gosh maybe that'd be a good topic for another thread...
:friendly_wink:

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Also really loved 90125's "Owner of a Lonely Heart" after coming to see the '80's as the best era since the '60's for a "pop renaissance" with Talking Heads and Police, Simple Minds, even (gasp!) Duran Duran's Seven and the Ragged Tiger, and U2, and the Bangles, and...gosh maybe that'd be a good topic for another thread...
:friendly_wink:

Well then, you'll be glad to hear that after taking week off for the Xponential Music Festival, 50/50 will be back on Saturday, 08/02 with music from 1982.

Brucebubs

Reaction score
Great call, I was trying to remember what else came out in '71, although to be fair Yes wasn't getting any play on AM radio here until "Roundabout" hit, and I actually remembered it as '72.
Oh, I was right, single released January '72 in US.
But yes a revolutionary sound.

The previously mentioned Allman Bros At Fillmore East featuring "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed", was another revolutionary sound for the era, no AM play, though, you had to have FM to hear 'em.

LOL!.
Yep.

Maybe we were lucky down here in Australia -a single version of 'I've Seen All Good People/Your Move' from The Yes Album got airplay here before 'Roundabout'

In fact that led to me becoming a huge Yes fan after discussing this great song we were hearing on the radio a High School classmate lent me The Yes Album and as soon as 'Yours Is No Disgrace' began playing ... I was hooked!

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Maybe we were lucky down here in Australia -a single version of 'I've Seen All Good People/Your Move' from The Yes Album got airplay here before 'Roundabout'

In fact that led to me becoming a huge Yes fan after discussing this great song we were hearing on the radio a High School classmate lent me The Yes Album and as soon as 'Yours Is No Disgrace' began playing ... I was hooked!

Agreed, The Yes Album is another great album - "Starship Trooper"!

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, after studying release dates for awhile now, it's obvious US companies frequently used different from their UK (and I assume Commonwealth) counterparts.
I always assumed it was at least partially simply logistic but it's also obvious US marketing execs may select entirely different offerings for the US market (and vice versa).
Interestingly Wiki does show a March '71 release date for it and says it actually made the US top 40, but I'm here to tell you it sure as hell didn't get any airplay on the San Jose or San Franciso AM stations... and it didn't show up on the site I used to revisit the '71 top 40 by week, but I did notice some glitches on that site.
Listed "debuted this week" more than once for some tunes, for example.

Yeah, that was part of the magic, wasn't it.
That and cruising and debating the merits of each tune as it came on the radio.
And the occasional "WOW who IS that?!?!? " for a new tune...
Oh yeah, funny story:
The very first concert I ever had a chance to go see was Black Sabbath headlining over a band I'd never heard of called Yes.
(Graham used to book some odd combos back in the day. :glee:)
Oh yes at the time I was loving that Sabbath heavy metal vibe.
My folks wouldn't let my sophomore self go up to the evil drug-infested Fillmore in the city of San Francisco with a group of other high-school boys even if the driver was a senior who only dealt a little weed occasionally to cover his costs, and was looking to sell a spare ticket. (Of course I only told 'em he was a senior.)
No doubt the ticket was available because somebody else's parents had the same reservations.
:glee:
All these years later and I still like "Paranoid" but Ozzie gags me and I own a few Yes albums.

Last edited:

Brucebubs

Reaction score
Black Sabbath and Yes ... boy that was some concert!

The schoolmate that lent me The Yes Album had an early morning job delivering newspapers on his bicycle - it gave him enough funds to join a 'record club'! Remember those?

JF-30

Reaction score
Sadly as big of a Yes fan as I am, I only got to see the 80's Yes. Close To The Edge is one of my top 5 favorite albums. I loved on 901253824 (or what ever it was) the way they did the vocals and a few songs were decent, but to me it was not YES. No Howe, No Bruford, No Wakeman. White, Anderson, and Squire were there, and the okay Tony Kaye was back, but he was no Wakeman. Sadly, Yes is still touring, and with no members of the original group. This trend of dinosaurs touring needs to go. The Stones are still touring, is this what we need. Grandpa Mick prancing around looking like he is gonna brake a hip at any moment. What was the last Stones album any of us bought. Some Girls for me. Over, I can't count how many years ago that was. 40ish maybe.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Black Sabbath and Yes ... boy that was some concert!

The schoolmate that lent me The Yes Album had an early morning job delivering newspapers on his bicycle - it gave him enough funds to join a 'record club'! Remember those?

Yep we had 'em. I was always somewhat skeptical about the vinyl quality and the fact they were printed on club labels, not the original, over here. Only ever knew one other person who had joined one while they wer still viable.
Think I was also leery of the "We'll send you a new one every month/return it if you don't like it" pitch.
Also seem to recall Fresh Cream actually had a different track listing as an example of I didn't understand: it was the original UK listing not the US listing, something I was ignorant about at the time.
But I was aware of collectability (Had been collecting Marvel Comics/collateral for about 3 years) and was pretty sure that "club" label would always carry a knock on value and that sealed the deal.
Now I see that some of the vinyl I have is more valuable as original pressings/labels.
I have the first 45 by Big Brother and the Holding Company
big-brother-and-the-holding-company-all-is-loneliness-1967-s.jpg

and my original pressing of Cheap Thrills is signed by everybody but Janis (it was signed in '87)
Coming full circle, that take of "All is Loneliness" is a classic example of early raga rock sound by the way, with droning guitar and a bass beat that can give my turntable resonant feedback if I'm not careful with volume.
:glee:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9npO4UKIbI
One of my top favorite BB&tHC cuts, and the reverse, "Blind Man", was reworked into "Oh Sweet Mary" on Cheap Thrills; one of my other top 5 BB cuts, in fact was the favorite for many years:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lDfHs5FP0Y
Oh waitaminnit think I got this thread mixed up with the Seeds thread..oh well.
:smile:

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
What was the last Stones album any of us bought. Some Girls for me. Over, I can't count how many years ago that was. 40ish maybe.

I thought Blue and Lonesome (recorded over three days in 2015, released in 2016) was a surprisingly good and welcome return to their bluesy roots.

Brucebubs

Reaction score
Sadly as big of a Yes fan as I am, I only got to see the 80's Yes. Close To The Edge is one of my top 5 favorite albums. I loved on 901253824 (or what ever it was) the way they did the vocals and a few songs were decent, but to me it was not YES. No Howe, No Bruford, No Wakeman. White, Anderson, and Squire were there, and the okay Tony Kaye was back, but he was no Wakeman. Sadly, Yes is still touring, and with no members of the original group. This trend of dinosaurs touring needs to go. The Stones are still touring, is this what we need. Grandpa Mick prancing around looking like he is gonna brake a hip at any moment. What was the last Stones album any of us bought. Some Girls for me. Over, I can't count how many years ago that was. 40ish maybe.

I've seen Yes twice here in Australia - without Jon Anderson both times, which was a pity but the last concert here in Melbourne was the end of a world tour with only Japan to go. They played the entire 'Fragile' and 'Close To The Edge' albums in the correct track sequence. It was Chris Squire's last tour - and he was fantastic. You could hear a pin drop when Steve Howe played 'Mood For A Day' ... and it was note perfect.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I thought Blue and Lonesome (recorded over three days in 2015, released in 2016) was a surprisingly good and welcome return to their bluesy roots.

+1. A great album with Eric Clapton on a few tracks.

Also, two post-Some Girls albums I like a lot - Voodoo Lounge (1994) and A Bigger Bang (2005). And I would also highly recommend Keith Richards solo album from 2015, Cross-Eyed Heart.

walrus

beecee

Reaction score
Allman Brothers released Live at the Fillmore East (recorded earlier that year - if you like that give a listen to Live at A&R Studios, also recorded in '71 and not released until 2016).

Soul Serenade is just mind blowing on that A&R album!!

Last edited:

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Soul Serenade is just mind blowing on that A&R album!!

Loose, relaxed, having a great time and sounding like they're sitting around in someone's living room just jamming. I think it showcases them live much better than Live At The Fillmore East.

JF-30

Reaction score
+1. A great album with Eric Clapton on a few tracks.

Also, two post-Some Girls albums I like a lot - Voodoo Lounge (1994) and A Bigger Bang (2005). And I would also highly recommend Keith Richards solo album from 2015, Cross-Eyed Heart.

walrus

So you are one of the people 3 who bought those?

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
So you are one of the people 3 who bought those?

Not a Stones fan, huh? I assume you are just joking, but seriously, these albums sold well, particularly Voodoo Lounge.

Voodoo Lounge - reached #2 in US Billboard charts, also won the 1995 Grammy for Best Rock album. Platinum X 2 sales - over 2 million copies sold in the US alone.

A Bigger Bang - reached #3 in US Billboard charts. Reached platinum (1 million copies) sales in the US alone.

Blue and Lonesome - #4 on the charts, and Richards' solo album reached #8.

walrus

JF-30

Reaction score
Not a Stones fan, huh? I assume you are just joking, but seriously, these albums sold well, particularly Voodoo Lounge.

Voodoo Lounge - reached #2 in US Billboard charts, also won the 1995 Grammy for Best Rock album. Platinum X 2 sales - over 2 million copies sold in the US alone.

A Bigger Bang - reached #3 in US Billboard charts. Reached platinum (1 million copies) sales in the US alone.

Blue and Lonesome - #4 on the charts, and Richards' solo album reached #8.

walrus

Yes I am a Stones fan. Saw them in '81. What I really am is a fan of music and can't take bands resting on their laurels. After Some Girls, was Emotional Rescue. They managed to make an even bigger disco song than Miss You, with the title track and basically just phoned in an album of trash. Next was Tattoo You. Some good stuff and some stinkers as well. I think I remember hearing they were making an album to just go out and tour behind. Then I saw them live. I was not impressed. George Thorogood and J Giels make The Greatest Rock And Roll Band In The World look like a bad bar band. Then was I think that album with Harlem Shuffle. Then Bridged To Babylon and Voodoo Lounge and then Big Bang. They don't need to put out an awful album as an excuse to tour they are THE STONES. And do you believe album sales mean anything? People supposedly buy Miley Cyrus's (so called) music too.

Sadly groups like Yes, The Stones and AC/DC are just the worlds best tribute bands. And doing an entire cover album of old blues tunes has been done over and over and is just lazy.

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I think it's too much to ask of musicians that they stay vital both as performers and songwriters over a really long period. Pretty much all songwriters who stick around long enough end up producing lesser variants of their best stuff. When I hear this happening I move on to other music.

-Dave-