1963 Guild M20 - Resurrection + Questions

[J.K.]

Reaction score
Greetings Guildaholics Anonymous!

A few months back I was fortunate enough to get a Guild M-20 from none other than this forum's very own Richard (whom was an absolute pleasure to buy from). After it made an extended tour of the United States courtesy of FedEx's unadvertised "no rush, month-long, untracked shipment" service, I got it in and started to do my thing.

So, I should preface this by saying that I knew it was less of a "collector's piece" and more of a "player's guitar," which was always fine with me. That said, those who prefer purity, tread lightly below:

Sometime in the past, the guitar was stripped and refinished for some reason. I knew this going in to the purchase, as the listing was quite thorough. Unfortunately, I didn't realize just how awkward the refin was; you could see little hazy pockets of air or something if the light was right, and while it wasn't a thick overspray, there were spots on the back that were a little thicker where it looked like some more was brushed on or something. There was even some cross-painted brush strokes around the bridge that were rather unfortunate. There was also some bellying to be addresses along with a full setup to adjust the action and make sure it didn't need a neck reset. I took it in to a few shops, which all tried to dissuade me from meddling with the finish, given that making it worse was much more likely than making it better (unless I were to strip it and refinish it again, which would either be a chore or an expensive and unnecessary investment), so I decided to let sleeping dogs lie on that front. At least for the time being. The only other real issue the bridge and the overall setup.

I took it in, got the bridge sorted out for the most part, got the saddle and nut adjusted, and got it refretted. On the plus side, no neck reset was needed (which is fortunate, because the heel is attached to the back, which seems to be one piece, and it looks like it would be delicate work to do). Unfortunately, a new bridge plate was needed, and a couple braces were loose from the bellying, so that had to be taken care of. Another issue sprung up in that the bridge had a sort of pull to it that was "creasing" (for lack of a better term) the wood of the soundboard behind it. My tech was able to fix it to a more stable degree, but there was also a hairline crack hidden by the warp of the wood and the refin. Fortunately, it's quite minor, but it's still something on my mind. He also took off the pickguard at my request, because it was a somewhat shoddily cut affair that must've been added after the refin, so I fashioned a black pickguard for it. Brace yourself: I decided to take a somewhat modernist design approach with the new pickguard, and went with black because I never much cared for the faux-tortie look, and black suits the headstock better in my opinion. Like I said, it's a player's guitar, and I'm the player, so I'm calling the shots.

Here's where some may want to stop reading, however.
Before I put the pickguard on and strung it up, I had the sort of dumb idea that I'm all too prone to have. I thought "you know, I'll bet I could fix the finish." I read up from a few sites, taped the back off to test my skills there, and had a go. At first I used a blush erasser, thinking that would eliminate the fogginess and loosen the air pockets. It did do that, but the lacquer seemed to pool into camouflage ribbons of dark and light spots. Considering that there were a few spots that had what looked to be brush strokes on the back, I assume that whoever did the refin probably added to some areas, and the two applications of lacquer were separating a bit. I decanted some more blush eraser, added some lacquer thinner, and mixed maybe 8-10% decanted lacquer to the mix. I figured that would serve as a way to reflow the lacquer and maintain an even mix of homogenized lacquer to the body. Surprisingly, it worked. I got some brushes and went over it in even layers, making sure it blended appropriately. I had the foresight to seal off the room and wear protection, too, just to preserve my remaining brain cells. It actually ended up looking ten times better; the coat was even, the haziness came out, the cross-painted strokes were gone, and it looked much more natural than before. I did the same on the front, but I let the sides stay the way they were (it was insanely time consuming to do the front and back, and the sides didn't look as bad... and I sort of like the subtle reminder of what it was like). So, even though it was an inarguably terrible idea to mess with the finish, I'm incredibly pleased with the results and I learned my lesson on underestimating work.

Anyway, rambling aside, here's a couple pics of it with the fam:
1q4t1nl.jpg

xAPsvHh.jpg

(Sorry, I'm just now realizing how bleached that second one looks).

So, now for the questions:
For the bellying, there's still a slight bulge in the behind the bridge, but not toward the sound hole. I've tried to capture a couple shots to illustrate the "crease" I was talking about.
Is this something to worry about in the long term, especially in regards to string tension?
Would trying to correct this further require a lot more work?

Also, I've noticed that the E and A strings (and D, to a lesser extent) seem to intonate sharp once I get up to the 6th or 7th fret, which is mostly a problem when I use a capo on it. I'm typically an electric guitarist, so I'm not too familiar with how to resolve this on acoustics.
Intonation advice?

And animated image to try and capture the light and illustrate the aforementioned "crease" below:
gEI0Q3T.gif

And the still pics:
4LwOR2Om.jpg

aLsGwmum.jpg

[J.K.]

Reaction score
Oh and the other important thing:

I'll try and post some audio clips soon. It sounds great, but I'm just waiting for the strings to mellow out a bit (I've always preferred dull strings), and this is my first time experimenting with open tunings, so I'm still trying to get my fingering down.

jedzep

Reaction score
I really appreciate the way you slogged through this and achieved such improvement in the finish. These 're-touching' adventures often go astray or flat-out wrong.

I can only afford a great guitar if it has issues, and I've sanded down and buffed out a few tops in my time. I probably would have done that with yours and not replaced the guard, especially if I liked the tone. I don't think I'd fret about the crease. As for the intonation dilemma, I'd take it to a pro to diagnose and make sure the neck doesn't have a slight twist.

Br1ck

Reaction score
Is your bridge compensated at all? If not it can be filed at the front so the string break can be toward the back of the saddle.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Was going to comment yesterday but wanted to wait for a couple of other opinions before weighing in.
The "creasing/belly" behind the bridge is pretty common but not so pronounced that it creates an actual crack.
I have it on all 3 of mine but it's more pronounced on the F65ce, so maybe something about that "folk" shape is more prone to it.
Since you mention the bridge plate was replaced and some braces were already re-glued I doubt anything would cure it short of removing the top to steam it flat and re-brace.
Don't think that's needed but what does concern me is you believe there IS a crack in it, those can grow.
Normally the fix for a crack is a cleat but possibly it'd be problematic in that "creased" situation.
Your luthier should know better if somebody here doesn't give a better idea.
Re intonation:
Is it possible your bridge(Edit 7/24: Meant saddle) is just too tall, by maybe as little as a 32nd, even, and maybe even only on the bass side?
Its crown is supposed to match the radius if the fretboard, not be flat.
Rarely have I heard of a twisted neck on a Guild.
Otherwise it's possible neck angle might be off just enough to cause it to go sharp at higher frets.
Shaving the bridge to enable a lower saddle with some still useful break angle can be justified in some cases, although technically not the "ideal" solution which is an actual re-set.
This could be one of 'em.
Oh yeah, kudos on the self-supplied refinish, looks good and I get it entirely!

Last edited:

kostask

Reaction score
I have a couple of thoughts, feel free to ignore them.

1. The crease as you call it, is not uncommon. The bellying of the soundboard behind the bridge when strung up is normal (and a good sign, if tone in what you are after). The picture with the ruler looks absolutely normat to me, being symmetrical. If there actually is a crack there, it may be that the new bridge plate is too small or improperly shaped, but doubtful. It may also be that the previous bridge plate was not doing its job, and that the crack predates the current bridge plate. Another thing that you may want to verify is that all the braces are properly glued down. As Adorshki said, check the height of the bridge saddle, if it is too high, it may be putting too much upward force on the bridge. The approximate angle of the strings behind the saddle (between the bridge pins and the top of the saddle) should be around 45 degrees. Anything significantly more than this (50 degrees plus) means that the saddle is too tall. The saddle should have the same radius as the fingerboard, and should be properly compensated.

2. There is a proper fluid for re-amalgamating lacquer called Quali-Renew. Not a huge deal, as what you put on seems to have done the job nicely, from the end result.

jedzep

Reaction score
Quali-Renew? I'll check that out.

Sadly, I put a 3-4 inch scratch across the top south of the bridge on my M20. I ran a bead of acetone along the gash and, lo and behold, the old lacquer melted, blended and re-leveled. Then, I made the dumb move. I applied a second coat to get it just a hair better. Now I have a scar.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I can't help, but I wanted to say killer music room! I spy an Axe-FX!

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't sweat the crease, as you now know, but as always make sure no braces are loose.

The crease on my 1971 F-30 rescue dog is so pronounced that I just had somebody (know it all/ignoramus) try to tell me that it's a crack... Some people are way better pickers than they are about understanding old guitars and the top on "Aragorn" kinda freaked this gal out ;)

I suppose some bridge doctoring on some of these guitars might be appropriate if it bellies so far as to affect the action a lot.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Quali-Renew? I'll check that out.
Sadly, I put a 3-4 inch scratch across the top south of the bridge on my M20. I ran a bead of acetone along the gash and, lo and behold, the old lacquer melted, blended and re-leveled. Then, I made the dumb move. I applied a second coat to get it just a hair better. Now I have a scar.
And if the Quali-renew doesn't work out you could do another re-fin on a rainy day.
:glee:
It occurs to me that with that second acetone treatment you may have thinned the lacquer too much over the crack.
Sounds like you're perfectly aware acetone's a lacquer solvent.
I'm thinking you may want to put a bead of fresh lacquer on the scratch before the Q-R treatment, and hopefully the stuff comes with tips on whether or not that's appropriate.
I'm assuming it needs a certain amount of "base material" to work properly.
Also I made as caught my confusing comment about the saddle, I said "Bridge" might be too tall when I did mean the saddle and his comments about the saddle corroborate mine.
My comment about shaving the bridge to enable a lower saddle with a decent break angle behind it was accurate.
But I suspect you probably only need to take the saddle down a fraction right now.

I suppose some bridge doctoring on some of these guitars might be appropriate if it bellies so far as to affect the action a lot.

I think those are designed to correct dip in front of the bridge causing it to lean forward to the extent of affecting intonation.

Last edited:

[J.K.]

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses everyone!

First of all, the saddle is compensated as one would expect, and the neck is straight.
I wouldn't mind shimming the saddle up just a hair, because the low E and A could stand a millimeter of extra clearance, but that would only stand to make the intonation a smidge sharper. I forgot to mention that I got the guitar refretted, and the action was adjusted after the initial adjustment to the belly. It's nearly perfect for my tastes, too.

I've had guitars with a bit of bellying before, but whenever I experienced it, it was the whole of the back soundboard behind the bridge, not just the area behind the width of bridge and no further out than that. That's why I was worried; the fact that it was almost exclusively bellying in a horizontal line from the edges of the bridge was disconcerting. I just got a mirror with a light and was peeking inside, and the hairline crack isn't visible from inside. Maybe it's just the surface split a little during a dry spell? Either way, it's very odd, and trying to explain the nuances of how it's odd is putting me at a bit of a loss for words.
I play with fairly light strings, so the tension isn't too rough on the soundboard right now.
Nerdy aside: I usually play with light D'Addario "Flat Tops" (the semi-flattened strings) and an Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze low E, but this has Newtone Double Wounds with the Ernie Ball on the E. Both this and my Martin 00-15M have that mahogany small body trait of being a little weaker on the low E, and I find the Aluminum Bronze paired with either the Flat Tops or Double Wounds makes for a great woody sound with a low E that still sounds full and doesn't get swallowed up in the mix.

As for the Quali-Renew, I wish I knew about that; it sounds brilliant! Do you have a link to the manufacturer? A cursory Google search didn't turn anything up for me.
Hopefully I won't be needing anything like that in the future, though. I asked about finish repair experiences on a couple other forums and, even with the caveat of "tell me what you know about finish repair, not why it's inadvisable," most of the responses I got were mostly second-hand hearsay and condemnations for even considering it. Go figure.

And yeah, GAD, that's an Axe-Fx II+. I know the stigma against modeling is still strong, but I feel no shame over it. I have a Hiwatt DR103 and a Matamp GT100 that are great for everything except recording at healthy levels.

kostask

Reaction score

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
This article calls it CelloSolve:

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Technique/Finish/Lacquer/Amalgamator/amalgamator1.html

I don't know if Quali-Renew or Quali-Renu is just sold locally or not. The Frank Ford article pointed to above is describing the process with CelloSolve. It is basically a modified lacquer thinnner; it is reduced in strength to make it more controllable and to allow for a longer working time.

To help with the lifting, Cellosolve:
https://www.dow.com/en-us/product-search/cellosolvesolventsforhomepersonalcare
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2-Ethoxyethanol

Behlen "QUALRENU":
https://www.google.com/search?q=beh...A287jAhVOqJ4KHb1WAEIQBQgsKAA&biw=1670&bih=795
Lot of links to woodworker's forums on that one.
Both of 'em appear to be alcohol-based so suspect some replenishment of actual cellulose of the original NC lacquer may aid the re-amalgamation.
Further digging into Behlen website indicates the were acquired by Mohawk and I can't find a comparable product on their website:
https://www.mohawk-finishing.com/products/wood-staining-finishing/stains-glazes-colorants/
A review of Ford's description indicates you may be back to square one if you want a completely consistent finish, I suspect even drop filling with something like an NCL pen will be visible and/or still require some sanding buffing to truly blend in.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

kostask

Reaction score
Sorry about the bad spelling of the product, my luthier buddies called it "Quali-Renew/Renu" verbally, so I tried to spell it that way.

Used properly, it can do wonders for nitro appearance. I have never seen results like the one that Frank Ford did in his article (posted above), but for small hairline cracks, it can do wonders. My luthier buddies usually thin it out, and use it with a Preval sprayer to very lightly fog onto a nitro finished surface. This doesn't work if silicone based guitar polishes have been used, so in those cases, a large amount of time and effort goes into getting the silicone off the surface first.

[J.K.]

Reaction score
Sorry about the bad spelling of the product, my luthier buddies called it "Quali-Renew/Renu" verbally, so I tried to spell it that way.
Ha ha. No need to apologize; if anything, the manufacturer should be sorry for using such an unintuitive spelling. In this era, it's self-sabotaging to sell a product that can't be easily searched for online. My phone even tried to autocorrect it to "Quasars I" when I typed it out.

jedzep

Reaction score
Again...a wealth of useful info and banter from members. Grateful for this crew.