Woodstock 50 denied again

MLBob

Reaction score
Beginning to look like '69 all over again.:rolleyes-new:

Just read this morning where the Woodstock 50 concert that already fell through at Watkins Glen was denied a permit to try and hold it in Vernon, NY.
Seems like some municipalities CAN remember the past.:smile-new: :smile-new: :smile-new:

Bob

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
well, now that the modern version/day of the festival comes with burning cars and threats of violence, i figure the locals would certainly want to push back on having all that crap erupt in their back yards.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
well, now that the modern version/day of the festival comes with burning cars and threats of violence, i figure the locals would certainly want to push back on having all that crap erupt in their back yards.

Agreed, unfortunately. The violence at Altamont on '69 seems like nothing compared to what's happened at some concerts the past few years.

walrus

Rich Cohen

Reaction score

Yes and no. After all, time changing musical events should be allowed to happen, though they might be challenging. You're right, things are different these days. You never know what might happen. History is in the making, whatever the politics. We should allow it to grind away. In the end, it will resolve itself. Art is, after all, the future! And music is a foundational part of that process.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes and no. After all, time changing musical events should be allowed to happen, though they might be challenging. You're right, things are different these days. You never know what might happen. History is in the making, whatever the politics. We should allow it to grind away. In the end, it will resolve itself. Art is, after all, the future! And music is a foundational part of that process.
Thanks, Rich!!! WE'LL HAVE IT AT YOUR PLACE!!! That is so nice of you to offer it up...... :encouragement::devilish:

JF-30

Reaction score
I was 3 when the first one happened. Didn't even hear about the second one till it was over, and if the 3rd one was going to happened, and even if the venue happened to be 2 miles from my house I would not care or want to go hang out all day listening to groups I probably don't like.

Big Festival shows are for 20 years olds. I'm 50. I want a small venue where I can chill and sit and watch good music I want to see.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I thought this was an interesting timeline

https://www.vulture.com/2019/07/is-woodstock-50-canceled-what-to-know-about-the-festival.html

I see a story of a promoter who just could not get his act together. (Pun intended?)

A couple articles that talked about permit rejections had examples where the promoter either did not bother to answer the question or did not follow instructions. While I am well aware of using bureaucracy to impede progress this really reads to me like the promoter didn't even seriously try.

Thanks, Rich!!! WE'LL HAVE IT AT YOUR PLACE!!! That is so nice of you to offer it up...... :encouragement::devilish:

I'm not sure Charlottesville really wants or needs a major gathering at this time ;-)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Beginning to look like '69 all over again.:rolleyes-new:
Just read this morning where the Woodstock 50 concert that already fell through at Watkins Glen was denied a permit to try and hold it in Vernon, NY.
Seems like some municipalities CAN remember the past.:smile-new: :smile-new: :smile-new:
Bob
On the fence about it, agree with all points of view so far, especially having it at Rich's house.
I like those intimate venues as JF30 says.
:glee:
But part of me sees crass commercial exploitation of the memory of an event that's become shrouded in myth, something that can only happen once.
But if I try to be fair I can think, OK what's wrong with a 50-year anniversary event if it acknowledges it's merely an anniversary celebration and still wants to hold an arts/music fair in the spirit of the original without exploiting poor defenseless photos of topless hippie chicks and mud-sliding dudes in tie-dye?

If it weren't for the known potentials for rampant property destruction and hedonistic excess I'd be OK with it.
Truthfully I AM kind of surprised Watkins Glen fell through (assuming the racetrack was the planned venue), one would think they had crowd management down to a science there.
"Port-o-San"
hqdefault.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V0OqUMoRP4
But I guess we're not in 1969 anymore, Toto.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Truthfully I AM kind of surprised Watkins Glen fell through (assuming the racetrack was the planned venue), one would think they had crowd management down to a science there.
"Port-o-San"
hqdefault.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V0OqUMoRP4
But I guess we're not in 1969 anymore, Toto.

I remember that scene from the movie Al, one of my faves.
Especially the last 30-60 seconds, that simple irony of the man doing a job, his kid at the concert while another is over in Vietnam, then the stoner appearing from the stall next to the one he just cleaned...

Last edited:

JF-30

Reaction score
I wasn't at the original festival. Hell some of the people that were at the original festival were not at the original festival. The first one should have been enough. Some things can not be repeated. Its a $ grab nothing more. It has nothing to do with nostalgia.

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Never understood what the big deal was about holding a Music Festival in Honor of Snoopy's Bird Pal Woodstock. I mean we all love Woodstock cause he is cool but does he really deserve all of this attention? Does he even want all of this attention? Has anyone considered his feelings on the situation? Maybe he just wants to be left alone? Does he even play an instrument? All questions I think we should be asking ourselves before things escalate any further.

images

TX

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I wasn't at the original festival. Hell some of the people that were at the original festival were not at the original festival. The first one should have been enough. Some things can not be repeated. Its a $ grab nothing more. It has nothing to do with nostalgia.

What about the topless hippie chicks?
Hell, in this day and age of gender equality, what about the topless hippie dudes?

5ade4dfe24842320dff88b739e373502.jpg

Last edited:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
" . . . We'll just put some bleachers out in the sun
and have it on Highway 69 . . .

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
What about the topless hippie chicks?
Hell, in this day and age of gender equality, what about the topless hippie dudes?

5ade4dfe24842320dff88b739e373502.jpg

I don't need nor want photographic proof, but I think Flea is also "bottomless" here...

walrus

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
AL - PLEASE

before you editing your post I thought "Oh well" - after edit I think "Gimme the chicks - or pic of the truck that hauled the equipment"

matsickma

Reaction score
They should have had it at Montage ski resort in Scranton, PA. Perfect spot. Heading up this long weekend for the Peachfest. One of the stages is near the floating river water park attraction to keep cool, check the younger generation, and lusten to good music. Bus shuttle run all the time to hotels or you can camp out. Music plays from 1 pm to 2+AM. Fantastic event. Went last year for the first time and now I'm sold on it.
M