Woodstock 50 denied again

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Never understood what the big deal was about holding a Music Festival in Honor of Snoopy's Bird Pal Woodstock. I mean we all love Woodstock cause he is cool but does he really deserve all of this attention? Does he even want all of this attention? Has anyone considered his feelings on the situation? Maybe he just wants to be left alone? Does he even play an instrument? All questions I think we should be asking ourselves before things escalate any further.

images

TX

The ever reliable Wikipedia claims the bird was named chronologically after and in honor of the music festival :)

JF-30

Reaction score
What about the topless hippie chicks?
Hell, in this day and age of gender equality, what about the topless hippie dudes?

5ade4dfe24842320dff88b739e373502.jpg

I prefer Flea with his clothes on. I have the same equipment he has and do not need to see it.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Even the Smithsonian can get it wrong:
"Organizers expected about 50,000 young music lovers to descend on the rural New York Farm that summer."
Nope.
They figured they could double the Mimi Pop Festival's 25k attendance number, so that's what they based their initial planning (and ticket sales) on.
Prime mover Michael Lang BTW had cut his teeth organizing those and that's why he was able to obtain backing investors.***(edit 7/25)
From the usual source with a citation:
Woodstock was designed as a profit-making venture. It became a "free concert" only after the event drew hundreds of thousands more people than the organizers had prepared for. Tickets for the three-day event cost $18 in advance and $24 at the gate (equivalent to about $120 and $160 today[17]). Ticket sales were limited to record stores in the greater New York City area, or by mail via a post office box at the Radio City Station Post Office located in Midtown Manhattan. Around 186,000 advance tickets were sold, and the organizers anticipated approximately 200,000 festival-goers would turn up.[18] "
When the organizers were under the gun to find a new location they disingenuously told the Bethel City Township council they expected 50,000:
"Growing alarmed at the lack of progress, Roberts and Rosenman took over the search for a venue, and discovered the 300-acre (0.47 sq mi; 1.2 km2) Mills Industrial Park (41.648088°N 74.179751°W) in the town of Wallkill, New York, which Woodstock Ventures leased for $10,000 (equivalent to $68,000 today) in the Spring of 1969.[1] Town officials were assured that no more than 50,000 would attend."
AND:
"The organizers once again told Bethel authorities they expected no more than 50,000 people."
The dirty little secret and charade Abbie Hoffman would have loved to have pulled off himself.
The big surprise to the organizers (and the whole rest of the country) was how far hugely they busted their 200,000 estimate.
And that little inaccuracy doesn't "invalidate" the article as a whole, so thanks!
***OK that was an oversimplification.
Lang and partner Kornfeld wanted to build a recording studio in the vicinity and their lawyer suggested they contact a couple of guys who were in the process of building a studio in Manhattan.
From the same source quoted above:
"Unpersuaded by this Studio-in-the-Woods proposal, Roberts and Rosenman counter-proposed a concert featuring the kind of artists known to frequent the Woodstock area (such as Bob Dylan and The Band). Kornfeld and Lang agreed to the new plan, and Woodstock Ventures was formed in January 1969."

I prefer Flea with his clothes on. I have the same equipment he has and do not need to see it.
yeah, i can no longer follow this thread, it is just disgusting.
C'mon, it was a joke, and besides, it's an artist at work.
Be glad I didn't use one of the returns I got from Burning Man Festivals.
THAT was inflammatory.
So to speak.
:topsy_turvy:

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The ever reliable Wikipedia claims the bird was named chronologically after and in honor of the music festival :)

Another age old query of what came first, The Chicken or the Egg? In this case it would be, What came first, Woodstock or Woodstock? Tell me that ain't a Hippie Brain Teaser, LOL!

Wikipedia does say he was named in honor of the Music festival on June 22, 1970 but it also says his first appearance was April 4,1967 as unnamed. So I Guess it is fair to say that Woodstock actually came before Woodstock but wasn't really Woodstock until after Woodstock had become Woodstock.:disillusionment: That is even better, LOL!

TX

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Another age old query of what came first, The Chicken or the Egg? In this case it would be , What came first, Woodstock or Woodstock? Tell me that ain't a Hippie Brain Teaser, LOL!

TX

Well at least we know he's not a duck.
main-qimg-38f19d0146b6f13c28adaa8fba438a29

What was the question again?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Wikipedia does say he was named in honor of the Music festival on June 22, 1970 but it also says his first appearance was April 4,1967 as unnamed. So I Guess it is fair to say that Woodstock actually came before Woodstock but wasn't really Woodstock until after Woodstock had become Woodstock.:disillusionment: That is even better, LOL!
TX
In fact I'd kind of forgotten the chronology even though I used to read Peanuts daily as a kid.
I did remember he was nameless for a while but didn't remember he'd been around that long.
Snoopy had already become a cultural icon so significant that the full dress rehearsal mission Apollo 10 Lunar Module's call sign was actually Snoopy and he's actually still "flying" around out there, the only lander that wasn't allowed to fall back to crash on the moon.
So as I've mentioned before, we get the actual moon landing in July and Woodstock in August and for brief moment in turbulent times America was as unified as it was gonna be for a long time to come..as evidenced by the Port-o-San maintenance man's comments about his kids.
Then Schulz paid homage to one of the most significant cultural events of the times by naming Snoopy's little friend after it.
e4f408040e30597b4f3a33799f60fa9a.jpg

As an inveterate nostalgia button-pusher myself, I thank you.
I'm literally crying as I type this.

Last edited:

JF-30

Reaction score
If you're 50 - as you say you are - that's a safe bet.:victorious:
Ok you got me. I lied. I'm 52. I still wasn't at Woodstock. What was so great about smelly stoned wet hippies and mud.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
C'mon, it was a joke, and besides, it's an artist at work.
Be glad I didn't use one of the returns I got from Burning Man Festivals.
THAT was inflammatory.
So to speak.
:topsy_turvy:

I apologize guys.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Accepted and I think we mods might consider revising what the practical definition of not safe for work is.

Even though I've posted a similar shot of Flea before with similar reaction, it's been quite a while.
It was also a subtle reference to:
History is in the making, whatever the politics. We should allow it to grind away. In the end, it will resolve itself. Art is, after all, the future! And music is a foundational part of that process.
As mentioned I did "reject" a LOT of returns for "topless hippie dudes" that I thought were far more tasteless before remembering Flea.
I do sincerely stand by my "artist at work" exculpatory explanation and even compared it to Rodin's "the Thinker" in a pm to WW,
the-thinker.jpg

but in the interest of playing nice would be perfectly willing to promise never to post it again.
I'll even try to remember the promise.
And I certainly didn't take any offense to the objections, they got just as much right to their opinions as I had to mine.
Whatever the mods decide is ok with me.
quadrophenia_2909328a.jpg

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
. . . But part of me sees crass commercial exploitation of the memory of an event that's become shrouded in myth, something that can only happen once. . . .
'Zackly. People who put their hearts and souls into reencacting, in all its forms, are setting themselves up for a hot date with disappointment.

On the other hand, any excuse for a party is a good excuse for a party!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
'Zackly. People who put their hearts and souls into reencacting, in all its forms, are setting themselves up for a hot date with disappointment.
On the other hand, any excuse for a party is a good excuse for a party!

'Zackly. People celebrate all kinds-a anniversaries all the time without expecting to recreate the original event.
I mean, I drank a special brew to commemorate the moon landing and I certainly wouldn't want to actually be there, now.
At least, not without a Port-o-San.

Last edited:

beecee

Reaction score
I went to the most recent town board meeting the other night. Third attempt to get it at Vernon Downs.

I did not read this entire thread so apologies if repetitive but the "organizer" was anything but. I personally wouldn't go but have no issue with a well run large event but this would have been a train wreck.

They are now headed elsewhere.

https://www.syracuse.com/news/2019/...ampaign=Newsletter - Good Morning CNY TESTING

Prince of Darkness

Reaction score
Guild Total
Anyone that thinks big festivals are just for twenty year olds obviously hasn't been to Glastonbury :encouragement: People of all ages, from small children to 80+. Everybody there to enjoy themselves, with violence virtually unknown for a very long time. Fiftieth anniversary next year; the first festival was the day after Jimi Hendrix died.

Grassdog

Reaction score
Anyone that thinks big festivals are just for twenty year olds obviously hasn't been to Glastonbury :encouragement: People of all ages, from small children to 80+. Everybody there to enjoy themselves, with violence virtually unknown for a very long time. Fiftieth anniversary next year; the first festival was the day after Jimi Hendrix died.

I was gonna say it's a pretty diverse selection of big music festivals out there right now and there's no way you can say they're just for 20 year olds. There's jazz, blues, folk, etc. festivals to chose from attracting more diverse crowds age-wise (Austin City Limits Music Festival for example).

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
There's hardly anything offensive about the pic of flea, a bit of bottom from the man holding down the bottom... so this is what it looks like when you're playing balls out ;)

JF-30

Reaction score
Here are a few of the acts that they wanted at WS50, Miley Cyrus, Imagine Dragons, Chance the Rapper. That would be a big F-NO from me.