Guild d25m 1974

wileypickett

Reaction score
The best alternative I've found for upgrading tuners:

https://hipshotproducts.com/collect...ucts/guitar-tuner-upgrade-kits-3-3-headstocks

The old screw holes are covered up (by what they call their Universal Mount Plate) and, best of all, you don't have to drill new holes. Thus you can revert to the original tuners if you ever want to sell the guitar to someone who likes everything original -- right down to the crummy tuners.

Tuning ratio is 18:1 (super smooth operationally) and they come in chrome, gold or black; open gear or locking; and there's a variety of button options.

Hipshot makes the string posts in four different lengths. I recommend the longest: 23mm.

Glenn

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
To be fair, it makes sense when the original D25 formula meant all-mahogany anyway, so no need to designate a top wood with a suffix, which wasn't how they did things anyway, as you mention. . . .
Hm. All mahogany? My sixties D-25 had a spruce top. It was natural, and I've seen 'em stained cherry, too. But those were still spruce tops, as far as I recall.

My question for Electriceye: Would you really mind a spruce top? It'll give you a lot more sound, responsiveness, and frequency range than mahogany. Mahogany tops have a nice sound, but for projection, nothing comes close to spruce.

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
Whoa, got a little busy the last few days and forgot to check this post. Thanks for all the replies! Guitar arrived pretty quick and it is great! Saddle is a little low (unnecessarily, the strings sit a little too close to the fret board) but the neck angle seems fine, might need a reset in 5-10 yrs.
Aha! Looks like I was late to the ball. Yeah, I thought you'd like the spruce top. Rock on!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hm. All mahogany? My sixties D-25 had a spruce top. It was natural, and I've seen 'em stained cherry, too. But those were still spruce tops, as far as I recall.
NO spruce on '25's until maybe '73 earliest. Trust me on this, see the chronology in post #8.
The spruce top entry-level dread in the '60's was the D35.
They were both introduced in '68 and in fact for the first couple of while the D35 had the lion's share of sales. (It surprised me to learn of that recently)
You're right the D25's got Cherry finishes, but don't think I've ever seen that on a D35.