Ngd - dv-74

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was lucky enough to acquire a DV-74.

The interesting thing I learned about this one is that the green coloring of the G-shield and rosette is solely the result of the lacquer yellowing (probably due to sun exposure), which changed the original blue to green in appearance. Since there is no lacquer on the fretboard, the blue turquoise inlays did not change color.

So the only real difference between the DV73 and DV74 appears to be the use of dark red coral accents vs. pink coral accents.

They both sound fantastic. The DV74 is discernibly louder for some reason, even though they have the same strings on them.

Pics to follow.

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
KlDiVlK.jpg

C7dDzlO.jpg

qx6GHlB.jpg

f2TsmvN.jpg

pu328aI.jpg

KpQYZiy.jpg

Rr3gQIl.jpg

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Wow! "What a beauty" doesn't do that guitar justice! Congratulations!

walrus

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
These are truly some of the most beautiful guitars ever built. The onyx/coral/turquoise/silver combo is just flat out STUNNING!! Congratulations!!! I know you're right about the lacquer over the turquoise. It definitely imparts a greenish tint from the yellowing of the lacquer over time. What I have noted on my DV72 is the the effect is minimal. The G-shield and rosette are more green than the fretboard and bridge inserts which have no lacquer or finish whatsoever. But in comparing with some in which color differences are much more pronounced, I wondered why.

I bought this from a Hawaiian guy who moved to Vegas years ago. And although he gigged and recorded with this guitar, it's lived it's whole life in a case and been extremely well taken care of. What I think has the most impact is sunlight exposure. It yellows the lacquer and so it turns the turquoise inlays green. Not that you didn't know this already, as you've mentioned it above, but I was just confirming and saying that I think mine has been a bit more protected than some, hence it has maintained more of the blue tone. But still a difference.

Anyway. BEAUTIFUL acquisition!! Quite a collection you've got there, my friend!!! :encouragement:

wileypickett

Reaction score
Some people find these a bit over-the-top, but not me -- they knock my eyeballs right out of their sockets! Wow!

F312

Reaction score
Differently, scraping the top of the BBL here.

Ralph

Nid2007

Reaction score
Really cool guitars! I would love a DV someday

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Very cool. The headstock inlay almost looks like the Malachite version of the DV-72 (I think it was that one?)

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very cool. The headstock inlay almost looks like the Malachite version of the DV-72 (I think it was that one?)

It is definitely green, but not as dark green as the DV72-MK. But it is green enough to have originally convinced me that the headstock and rosette inlays were actually a different color than the blue turquoise neck inlays.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome and would love to see list of all or some of your guitar collection.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thx for posting, this is educational for those of us who don't know nuthin about these DV's.

The group shot is... awesome.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow.. that is one stunning box.. And that collection.. My goodness.. G shields abound!!!