D66 vs D55

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Have stated, previously, that my next Guild will be a D55 and have one located in McLean, VA. Seller is not in hurry to sell.
Recently, a D66 appeared and has taken some of my GAS away from D55. The D66 is a beautiful guitar.
My questions to the forum are - for comparison between D55 and D66:
1. With same strings and setup which plays best/easiest
2. Which has best quality woods
3. Your opinion on "sounds better"
4. Any other comparisons you can make

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
A D-66 is certainly a special and rare guitar compared to a D-55. Hans had said about 10 years ago: "The original 6 Gruhn designed flattops were a separate group within the Guild line with structural and cosmetic specs that had not been traditional for Guild guitars." I don't know what the specific structural differences were, and I guess Hans would want to tell about in Volume II. A couple of members have or had D-66, so let's see if one will respond.
Ralf

wileypickett

Reaction score
I’ve owned / own both. I had in my stable two D55s, a Westerly and a New Hartford. Both were fine guitars, but I let ‘em go. Neither had the edge on my Braz back D50.

I still have a D66 — though I’m thinking of selling that too, not because I don’t love it but because I just gotta make room in our poor little house

I’m partial to the Guild models in the DV series, of which I own a couple, and which the D66 most resembles, sound-wise, at least to my ear.

Don’t know if this answers any of your questions — just my subjective take.

Congrats on acquiring a D66! If you’re wondering whether you “need” a D55 too, or are considering trading the D66 for a D55, IMO that’s not a decision the LTG community can make for you. You gotta try out a few D55s yourself.

Glenn

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks Ralf and Glenn. Trying to gather as much information as possible. Have strummed a 2000 D55 and really liked it but my attention to a D66 has been awakened.
Neither the D55 or D66 are within a reasonable driving distance so plan is to keep gathering information before I make a final decision. Both set of comments help.

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
D55s have changed specs over the 50+ years they have been around, so it is impossible to state how they generally compare to other models.

I own 2 D55s (1970 and 1977) and they are very different from each other in both specs and how they sound. And I know that modern D55s are more lightly built than vintage ones.

I also own a D60, which is a renamed D66, and I definitely prefer it to my 1977 D55.

Given its rarity and quality, I would go for the D66, if you cannot try either guitar first.

Last edited:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
awagner:
After looking at your signature, your opinion is noted in CAPITAL letters.
Afraid I am leaning your way-D66

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Obese people are not necessarily experts on food, but I'll take the compliment.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I’ve owned / own both. I had in my stable two D55s, a Westerly and a New Hartford. Both were fine guitars, but I let ‘em go. Neither had the edge on my Braz back D50.

I still have a D66 — though I’m thinking of selling that too, not because I don’t love it but because I just gotta make room in our poor little house

I’m partial to the Guild models in the DV series, of which I own a couple, and which the D66 most resembles, sound-wise, at least to my ear.

Don’t know if this answers any of your questions — just my subjective take.

Congrats on acquiring a D66! If you’re wondering whether you “need” a D55 too, or are considering trading the D66 for a D55, IMO that’s not a decision the LTG community can make for you. You gotta try out a few D55s yourself.

Glenn

I may be interested if/when you sell depending on condition/price/etc.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
A D-66 is certainly a special and rare guitar compared to a D-55. Hans had said about 10 years ago: "The original 6 Gruhn designed flattops were a separate group within the Guild line with structural and cosmetic specs that had not been traditional for Guild guitars." I don't know what the specific structural differences were, and I guess Hans would want to tell about in Volume II. A couple of members have or had D-66, so let's see if one will respond.
Ralf
For sure there was the "snakehead headstock" for one, and there are those of us that believe even headstock mass has a subtle effect on voice (via the neck and heelblock), but I suspect that was also used with the other "untraditional" structural specs in mind as "part of a whole", not purely cosmetic.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
D55's come up for sale all the time. And they're great guitars. D66's? Not so much. I think I've seen one for sale before. Didn't make that many of them. I'm sure it's a great guitar too, but I really like that you don't see so many of them. Doesn't really make them more valuable (except to a certain mind set that thinks unique = valuable) but they are more rare. Might be easier to sell if it doesn't speak to you. But it probably will. Plus I like those diamondish shaped fretboard inlays. If you're good with the snakehead style headstock, go for it.......

Whoa, both D66's on Reverb are gone! Did you buy one?

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I may be interested if/when you sell depending on condition/price/etc.

From here:
Our house flooded last year and Nora and I had to have all our floors replaced, which meant moving, literally, every single thing we own. Nora and I still haven't recovered from the discombobulation this caused us -- lots of stuff still piled up in boxes -- but the experience has got me rethinking the wisdom of keeping an absurd number of guitars around. (There are at least 60 here, most of them Guilds.)
Andrew came along with his offer just as I was coming to grips with the idea that maybe it was time to thin the herd.
If anyone else in LTG-land is looking to add to their collection, PM me with what you're after and I'll let you know if I can "help"! (Helping you helps me!)
Glenn

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
D55's come up for sale all the time. And they're great guitars. D66's? Not so much. I think I've seen one for sale before. Didn't make that many of them. I'm sure it's a great guitar too, but I really like that you don't see so many of them. Doesn't really make them more valuable (except to a certain mind set that thinks unique = valuable) but they are more rare. Might be easier to sell if it doesn't speak to you. But it probably will. Plus I like those diamondish shaped fretboard inlays. If you're good with the snakehead style headstock, go for it.......

No, have not. Waiting on price of my Bozung Super to see, exactly, what my "guitar money" account has in it? Should know in two weeks.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score

I know there is still one more there.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I know there is still one more there.
Saw that one and the very one that garnered my attention plus the seller is very reputable LTG member. A great price and could be gone by the time my two week delay has passed.