1975 Guild D25C

Reaction score
I found a local sale for a 1975 Guild D -25C Cherry Dreadnought (original owner) in very goof condition. Can’t seem to find out too much about it on the web. He is asking $700 with original case. Does anyone have experience with this guitar? Thanks, Dave

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
hey Edge, welcome to the LTG. sounds like a keeper and I think 700 is a fine price if in good condition as you say it is. the C will be for cherry stain top as you state, as I cannot imagine that being a cutaway. should be spruce topped, arched laminate Hog back and sides. will be a great strummer and quite suitable for any style of music really.

great find!

specs for the D25 in general here: http://westerlyguildguitars.com/guitars/d25.html

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
If it's in good condition as you say, I would grab it at that price, or see if he'll take 600 but be prepared to go 700 on it. With some phosphor bronze mediums this guitar is a cannon, a real banjo-killer.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
good call Dread, $600 would be a "steal".

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
hey Edge, welcome to the LTG. sounds like a keeper and I think 700 is a fine price if in good condition as you say it is. the C will be for cherry stain top as you state, as I cannot imagine that being a cutaway.
Yeah, 'bout a year too early for the world's first cutaway dreadnought according to my increasingly feeble memory; those were D40's in any case.
Cutaway D25's not until at least a couple of years later; "C" was the code for Cherry in '75.
Edge re your original question, I can only recall one member here who didn't like the sound of a spruce-topped D25 enough to keep it, and I think dozens who've ""bonded for life", myself included.

That formula of D25, spruce top/arched back, was the most popular and longest-produced version running from about '74 all the way to close of Westerly in '01.
In '97 Guild said more D25's had been sold than any other Guild and given ever-decreasing total overall production volumes since '01, I suspect that's probably still be true.
I like to say "read between those lines".
I consider mine to be one of the most versatile guitars ever produced, you can do everything with it, and some things, rhythm playing in particular, exceptionally well.
It's the magic of the arched back.
And it's not as if there's a particular era that was prone to specific problems or anything, with those, it's just the same things you'd look for on any(in this case) 45-year old guitar.

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I gave my son the '99 DV-52. I kept my '76 D-25M. He'll eventually get that too, LOL.

I bought the D-25M brand new in '76. I have played a thousand gigs with it, probably more than that actually. Been re-fretted twice. On its 3rd hardshell carry case. My banjo player says "boy, that thing really barks!"

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I bought the D-25M brand new in '76. I have played a thousand gigs with it, probably more than that actually. Been re-fretted twice. On its 3rd hardshell carry case.

Wow! "Made to be Played", indeed!

walrus

Reaction score
Thanks for the information and pricing information. I would upload a photo of the guitar if I knew how to. I have not bought it yet. I was looking at a Martin 000 15m for the same money.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information and pricing information. I would upload a photo of the guitar if I knew how to. I have not bought it yet. I was looking at a Martin 000 15m for the same money.

Just FYI: You can't upload photos to LTG. You have to upload it to some other photo site (imgur, for example) and then link to it in your post.

PTC Bernie

Reaction score
D25 "c"

.........................That formula of D25, spruce top/arched back, was the most popular and longest-produced version running from about '74 all the way to close of Westerly in '01................................

Just to fill things in a bit, my first "good" guitar was an arch back D25. I bought it the summer I graduated high school in 73. And it was a "C" model. Great guitars!

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total

Hey there! Welcome to LTG! Did you end up buying it? If still on the fence I say go for the D25! If it is in great condition, that is a solid price. Let us know!