Amp cab tonewoods?

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I've always loved the sound of my loudbox mini but the cheap & cheesy cabinet covering not so much. I'd been wanting one with the African mahogany cabinet for quite a while but the cost difference kept me from making the move, and now they don't even make it anymore.

I recently ran across a NOS mahogany one on the web for the same cost as the regular version and I jumped on it.

When I used it for the first time I immediately thought that it sounded even better! Warmer and maybe even a little louder at the same settings. I want to attribute this to the mahogany. Make sense? Just in my head?

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
no, it makes sense. the guy I bought my custom cab from (kammler-cabinets.de) swears, that even the cover material makes a sound difference. I just say if it is a well constructed cab, it will act like an acoustic instrument up to a certain degree. but there are quite a lot more factors in this chain than just the material. I don't want to open the box of p with this comment, but I believe you.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That’s why there’s a big difference between even plywood and particle board cabs. If you tap on plywood, you do get some woody resonance. Particle board is just “thud”. The same thing is going to happen to the sound.
With even better woods, they’ll be even better sound. Aside from exotic fair, your basic pine cab can sound wonderful.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have read that particle board is better for hifi speakers because it adds no resonance to the sound. Using the same logic, I have some 3/4" particleboard, destined for an isolation speaker cabinet build in the near future.

JF-30

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out guitar tonewoods, now I have to think about the wooden box a speaker is in, and what kind of tonewooe it has.

I think your 2x12 cab would get a little more mids if it was made of Mahogany and not California Pine.

Last edited: