Guitar Strap Questions

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I would like a good, soft, and flexible wide (3" - 3 1/2") guitar strap. My first priority is comfort and guitar friendly. By guitar friendly, I mean no chemical reactions to guitar body. Looks ranks way down the scale.
And no metal on strap
Questions:
1. type leather
2. thickness of leather
3. easy to adjust length and get on and off strap pins

Thanks

JF-30

Reaction score
Levy's makes great straps for reasonable prices.

Here is my Kiss R A R O strap. I have a Levy's one at home as well with the white lightning bold on it. I think SRV used one for a while.

https://i.imgur.com/nzflgGT.jpg

Last edited:

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Look for some old Silver Eagle straps on eBay.

I rarely play standing up, unless on stage w other musicians, but totaly strap crazy. Probably have 50 old ones... what are getting harder to find.

All of the old vinyl straps reacted with Nitro finished as we've all witnessed, as well as guitars stand meltoffs behind the neck... but usually only in extreme cases, like the strap laid under the guitar inside a very hot case... and the metal buckles, which I do love, I'm sure they contributed to some of the relic look...

My personal favorites for any guitar, bass, is a 3" wide leather strap, turned rough side up if there's a rough side. This is comfy, leather breathes better and doesn't cause excessive sweating, and more importantly, the shiny side doesn't grab your clothing, as in dragging your shirt down, it slides around and lets you move the guitar around without pulling on your shirt, that's how I like it.

If you're scared of previous DNA in leather, just go for new. Me, I just consider it Mojo... I picked a killer wide vintage leather strap from a local tech years ago that had been sprayed by a cat in his house, lol... Washed it, dried, aired it out on the line a long time, you wouldn't know it from any other strap now, just buttery soft leather, worn in, just the thing to save your shoulder from a 9lb 10oz Les Paul Custom...

Edit, just measured my old leather straps, and they are 3 1/4" wide.

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have a few of the Guild Baseball Glove Leather straps they are my favorite for being most comfortable on my bad shoulder. Mine are from the New Hartford era so I don't know if they changed the formula when Cordoba took over or not. They Look Great and are really soft to the touch but they have enough thickness to not squash up when I put my wireless transmitter on them. Only problem for your specs would be that they are 2.5 inches wide. I use them on both Acoustic and Electrics, Guilds and Non Guilds. Here is the link to Guilds listing in their shop.

https://shop.guildguitars.com/product/guild-leather-guitar-strap/?v=7516fd43adaa

I have also used Levy's and Eldorado straps and they are all pretty great as well.

In my Secret Secret Stash I have more than a few of the Special Tooled Leather Guild Straps that came with some of the GSR acoustic models in the case candy. Those are really cool straps! Here is a pic on one.

uwu2gdthyf8npk9nu2he.jpg

Best of luck in your search!

TX

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I have two Walker and Williams "Hippie" straps. Love 'em!

walrus

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
My buddy Brian makes the best straps, custom fitted to you and hand-tooled to your specs. About $100. Unfinished leather on the inside (rough surface so it doesn't slide around on your shoulder) and smooth hand-tooled on the outside.