Sound hole pickups

GaryG

Reaction score
Does anyone still use the old sound hole pickups like Lawrence or DeArmond M200? I don't want to
permanently alter my D40 or Mark 5, except for maybe a hole in the tailstock.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Lots of love here for the K &K Pure mini under saddle pickup. I have one on my F-30RCE, I swapped out the DTAR for it.

walrus

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Lots of people use sound hole PUPS...I wouldn't go 'old' tho...technology is what it is...go modern...in which case you need to decide what your needs/goals are and how you'll be using it...at home, playing out, solo, band, small venue, large venue...acoustic transducer...magnetic PUP...in any case it has to be able to fit the sound hole...dimensions vary...and be voiced for the type of strings you use...many, if you wish a more 'permanent' yet undamaging install, can utilize the existing end pin hole for the jack installation if you don't want to have a cable in the way extending from the PUP itself in the sound hole...
there are wireless versions now available battery powered transmitter/receiver...some very small...
also consider what type of a preamp you'll need...offboard if you don't want to alter your instrument...so many choices...and your two guitars might require completely different units.
uncle Google is your friend :laughing:

Reaction score
Sound hole pickups work pretty much like electric guitar pickups, and sound like them too. There are some that are kind of decent, but most do not sound like an acoustic guitar. And string to string volume and tone balance is usually not good.

K&K mini is a passive system, 3 small transducers glued up under the bridge plate, then wired to a simple end-pin jack. You can include a sound hole volume control if you’d like. There is no UST. There are no on-board batteries either. Nothing to permanently alter your guitar, but it will permanently alter the way you think about amplifying your acoustic guitar.
When used with a good preamp (K&K makes a great preamp too) the sound of your guitar come thru, not just the strings.

LR Baggs make a couple of great systems too. And Fishman makes a few decent systems too.

But my overall favorite for true acoustic goodness is K & K.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
You want one that combines inputs because as The Retro Rocker alluded mentioned, a simple pickup won't sound good enough. I like the LR Baggs M1 Active.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've got an LR Baggs under-the-saddle pickup on my old D-25M, bot it sure works well for a passive pickup! Then I had a K&K Pure Mini installed on the DV-52; loud and clear! I like passive p/u's, don't like having to diddle with batteries.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've seen several damaged rosettes because the soundhole pickup was installed and removed with less care than necessary. I'd vote for a permanent installation of something instead.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've seen several damaged rosettes because the soundhole pickup was installed and removed with less care than necessary. I'd vote for a permanent installation of something instead.
Gonna cast my vote with Frono

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I need something I can move from guitar to guitar, so I just bought this.

I have a really old Barcus Berry one with the stickum gone and 1/8" jack, actually sounds pretty good held on with tape, but this might be a cheap fix for now.

Also have Dean Markley and Fishman soundhole pickups, but don't even like the idea of a p'up in the hole for cosmetic reasons, and the damage that could happen mounting and dismounting...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dean-Markl...542070&hash=item3d91b4b2d4:g:4r4AAOSwU5NdWrBT

Reaction score
For my money the choice of acoustic amplification is more a case of personal preference and application than whether or not one type is definitively better or worse than the other. Magnetic sound hole pickups are certainly a viable option and have long been used by professional musicians to great success. In the hands of someone who knows how to dial them in properly they are capable of producing excellent and very natural sounding acoustic tone. My personal favorite is the Fishman Rare Earth.

3EopkAI0ikTe_Cjb9cw8pcpbcQmbc-oRgMB-DpNFdbDkS1oyxcuJDgY0voFoZw6Tlx6YImMIWW1IicdJhvBKnGHMAGLmb09h1JhgLJYOdNSoXOyhD40-4_MWlp0amu_ot1xCTktvLzIrFgy95Hjh2Cis37HaYAN_TX9dvQrBviWy0sBLCrcHz8CYQx0wZUrcfyB7zpxADELASPSvrjxzSknYbNZdMcfts6iYZJQOh7rl7gO_qTun8yXeyomtIdqCtmllwpDb6z4Z8sgs0b6ENnUlT7QuXvhVFeFVwR_cr9jyc5EILYQugbl2jJORJwdn2ucbMggDkdV_M0QkYBpgvDrAJv4tn8AbtbTZshh8oKxwtJTBxD0YOGbBFN06PKq5btbBg9a_Vbi6W-b1p9h2Y5cy7DeQoEu_AQxQQavT64VQhtbqDyRNUzCdy0ey6DUlsa4-OxiM1UqF0A4zcUReXYlqccMDHd6yMyFiYjpEWBS3Li-Ni72mv1QGC9EQdX9N1ju4CY_k4uvsgwMdTm6ytxxDCpXvzaDuH5NeX9J-SxASBEkDhXq5MyAw-VpsGAK_4iIGJqbdL_guRk7xsbXKMAC_T30sP4K30QhtTdYRpw8Ej4qppcNhjv2hin6JkmwnOcdJ64rgzGq2Af2uH-9kklLGN3nUoW_R_RNNI1klyB0rHchk0PwORv4=w480-h640-no

Last edited:

markus

Reaction score
Guild Total
I think the mark 5 won’t work with a electromagnetic soundhole pickup as you use nylon strings.

Markus :smile:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for true replication of your guitars tone with minimal alteration to you Guitar then the K&K pure mini is the way to go like mentioned earlier. With the exception of the "Barbera Soloist Guitar Saddle pickup" I honestly believe the K&K Pure Mini is the least intrusive guitar pickup you can buy with high quality sound output. A couple of small pads that stick to the underside of your guitar top with peel and stick adhesive and the mounting of the jack in the endpin hole just like you were going to do with your soundhole pickup. That is it. If you ever want to return the guitar to original you can just pull off the sticky pads and remove the endpin jack. I will say that the installation of a pickup like the K&K pure mini actually adds to the value of a guitar in my mind as opposed to taking away from the value of it. Plus you won't be taking the chance of scarring up your soundhole with the installation of the soundhole pickup.

Hope this helps.

TX

dbirchett

Reaction score
I too use the K&K Pure Western Minis on all my acoustics and am very happy with them. Some people whose opinions I respect really like the Fishman and LR Baggs soundhole pickups but I have no experience with them. I have a Dean Markley soundhole pickup that is encased in wood and held in place with sponge rubber. I used it a few times and it was all right but nothing special.

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
I don't use one now, but they are great. I used a single-coil Dean Markley Pro Mag for years.

I like the internal K&K I have now, but it doesn't sound any better. I just got it because I decided my instruments should all have the same brand to make switching between songs go faster. So now I have K&Ks in my Guild dread, roundneck reso, squareneck reso, and mando.

But if I were only playing the Guild, I'd still just have a soundhole pickup. Much more practical.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Plus me for the k&k pure mini.. I have had three to date and before my luthier started putting his proprietary dual source pick ups in my guitars, I would only use the k&k's.. They are simple and great. I would always recommend putting some type of EQ / Pre-amp down the chain before you get to the mixer if you are going the live route. I use a body rez pedal and that little pedal is about the best $100 I have ever spent. I don't know what it does to the signal technically, but it makes all the difference in the world sonically..

tarheelguild

Reaction score
For my money the choice of acoustic amplification is more a case of personal preference and application than whether or not one type is definitively better or worse than the other. Magnetic sound hole pickups are certainly a viable option and have long been used by professional musicians to great success. In the hands of someone who knows how to dial them in properly they are capable of producing excellent and very natural sounding acoustic tone. My personal favorite is the Fishman Rare Earth.

3EopkAI0ikTe_Cjb9cw8pcpbcQmbc-oRgMB-DpNFdbDkS1oyxcuJDgY0voFoZw6Tlx6YImMIWW1IicdJhvBKnGHMAGLmb09h1JhgLJYOdNSoXOyhD40-4_MWlp0amu_ot1xCTktvLzIrFgy95Hjh2Cis37HaYAN_TX9dvQrBviWy0sBLCrcHz8CYQx0wZUrcfyB7zpxADELASPSvrjxzSknYbNZdMcfts6iYZJQOh7rl7gO_qTun8yXeyomtIdqCtmllwpDb6z4Z8sgs0b6ENnUlT7QuXvhVFeFVwR_cr9jyc5EILYQugbl2jJORJwdn2ucbMggDkdV_M0QkYBpgvDrAJv4tn8AbtbTZshh8oKxwtJTBxD0YOGbBFN06PKq5btbBg9a_Vbi6W-b1p9h2Y5cy7DeQoEu_AQxQQavT64VQhtbqDyRNUzCdy0ey6DUlsa4-OxiM1UqF0A4zcUReXYlqccMDHd6yMyFiYjpEWBS3Li-Ni72mv1QGC9EQdX9N1ju4CY_k4uvsgwMdTm6ytxxDCpXvzaDuH5NeX9J-SxASBEkDhXq5MyAw-VpsGAK_4iIGJqbdL_guRk7xsbXKMAC_T30sP4K30QhtTdYRpw8Ej4qppcNhjv2hin6JkmwnOcdJ64rgzGq2Af2uH-9kklLGN3nUoW_R_RNNI1klyB0rHchk0PwORv4=w480-h640-no

The Rare Earth pu by Fishman is my new fave too! Have a brand new one in my F50R and it sounds great, full and warm. I'm going to get another one and install it in my D50. I don't like having to mess with the saddle height anymore with those under the saddle pickups though I have a few.
Tony

'80 F50R
'84 D40
'87 D50
'96 D4
'98 D30 AB
'98 D25 12
'00 Taylor 414ce

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for true replication of your guitars tone with minimal alteration to you Guitar then the K&K pure mini is the way to go like mentioned earlier. With the exception of the "Barbera Soloist Guitar Saddle pickup" I honestly believe the K&K Pure Mini is the least intrusive guitar pickup you can buy with high quality sound output. A couple of small pads that stick to the underside of your guitar top with peel and stick adhesive and the mounting of the jack in the endpin hole just like you were going to do with your soundhole pickup. That is it. If you ever want to return the guitar to original you can just pull off the sticky pads and remove the endpin jack. I will say that the installation of a pickup like the K&K pure mini actually adds to the value of a guitar in my mind as opposed to taking away from the value of it. Plus you won't be taking the chance of scarring up your soundhole with the installation of the soundhole pickup.

Hope this helps.

TX

+1 on the "Barbera Soloist Guitar Saddle pickup"

Last edited:

jgmaute

Reaction score
I use Baggs M1Actives in my Guild D55, Martin 00-18 and Martin 00-16DBR when I'm performing and really like the sound. However you've got to work with what sounds good to you.