1999 Guild III-90

Reaction score
Recently purchased 1999 Guild III-90 nearly mint. A few small dings you would have to look for to see.

3-Guild-Naturals.jpg

Picture of my trio of Guild Blondes!

http://chasingguitars.com/1999-guild-starfire-iii-90/

I will be putting the Guildsby back on this weekend and will take a few more pictures.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice!

And thanks for the shout-out to my blog!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Your pic takes me back to the very early days of my collecting, with what I called the Three Blondes shoot:

_B0Z4675_800.jpg

_B0Z4704_800.jpg

_B0Z4689_800.jpg

GGJaguar

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I like the 3 Chesterfield inlays together. They are like "Pillars of Strength".

Your pic takes me back to the very early days of my collecting, with what I called the Three Blondes shoot:

_B0Z4675_800.jpg

parker_knoll

Reaction score
Reaction score
Is there a difference in sound between the III-90 and the X500-90 (if that's what it is, sorry)?

Yes there is a good bit of difference in my opinion between the Starfire III-90 and the X500T. They have basically the same pickups, but the X500T is bigger and deeper body. Both sound great, so I guess it is a matter of taste. The Starfire being smaller and shallower may be easier to play standing. If I had to choose between them I would go with the X500T as I consider it to be a near perfect guitar.

parker_knoll

Reaction score
Yes there is a good bit of difference in my opinion between the Starfire III-90 and the X500T. They have basically the same pickups, but the X500T is bigger and deeper body. Both sound great, so I guess it is a matter of taste. The Starfire being smaller and shallower may be easier to play standing. If I had to choose between them I would go with the X500T as I consider it to be a near perfect guitar.

can you describe the difference at all?

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My experience with a 16" thinline vs a 17 full body guitar is that in this type of guitar, bigger guitar = bigger sound. The bigger guitar has more bass and low mids, and is louder (even plugged in).

in practice, that means I have more succes with the smaller guitar in a bigger band setting (denser mix, extra guitarist, keys, horns,...whatever), and the big guitar fills out the sound of a trio just great. IMO/YMMV

Reaction score
My experience with a 16" thinline vs a 17 full body guitar is that in this type of guitar, bigger guitar = bigger sound. The bigger guitar has more bass and low mids, and is louder (even plugged in).

in practice, that means I have more succes with the smaller guitar in a bigger band setting (denser mix, extra guitarist, keys, horns,...whatever), and the big guitar fills out the sound of a trio just great. IMO/YMMV

Walter explained it better I ever could.

I would add that playing as a solo the bigger deeper X500T is also better to my ears for the same reasons that Walter spoke of.

I always get a laugh when I here some people claim only the pickups matter.... After owning so many types of guitars that statement is ridiculous. Even with solid bodies EVERYTHING matters. Sure if you are playing a solid body with the pickups high against the strings and plug into a bunch of pedals and distorted amp... The pickups May matter more, but the construction, scale, woods, strings, etc etc ALL matter.

The X500T and the Starfire III both have the same P90s, but they do sound different.