Wow who knew???

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I remember seeing a show on the DIY channel a long time ago called Making Music, focused on instrument builders. They had episodes on Dudenbostal, Gruhn, and one on First Act doing custom instruments for Los Lonely Boys.

So...I did! :highly_amused:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, that's pretty nice looking. I'm surprised they made anything that nice.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Strange optical illusion: in both pictures - front and back - the horn on right side looks longer - but it can not be so . . .

All in all a very nice looking guitar.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, there have been discussions over on The Gear Page about how great the high-end First Act guitars can be.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Yeah, I've been aware of these for a while now, but never seen one in the flesh. They look pretty good and seem really cheap for a "custom shop" type of builder. What I'm not sure about is whether these were ever actually offered on the market or were all just artist loaners and NAMM publicity stuff. They're sort of tempting, but who knows? I'd love to know what sort of pickups they were putting in them. I can't imagine they were putting their student-grade stuff in these, even if it looks that way.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Strange optical illusion: in both pictures - front and back - the horn on right side looks longer - but it can not be so . . .

All in all a very nice looking guitar.

I see what you're talking about.. bizzarro..

Gotta figure at that price point this was likely crafted overseas.. Wouldn't matter to me if I were so inclined..

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
When I was looking at alternatives to a vintage Starfire bass the First Act hollowbody showed up. Shonna Tucker/Drive By Truckers had one with Darkstars, I believe.

shonnafromdbt-jpg.1318284

JF-30

Reaction score
When I was looking at alternatives to a vintage Starfire bass the First Act hollowbody showed up. Shonna Tucker/Drive By Truckers had one with Darkstars, I believe.

shonnafromdbt-jpg.1318284

I saw DBT with her at least 8 times (from the Brighter Than Creations Dark Tour through The Go Go Boots Tour) and I never saw her played that. She always had a Fender P (and sometimes one had a upsidedown neck). She is no longer in DBT or married to Jason Isbell.

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Nope he went off and married Amanda Shires and if I am not mistaken troubadour Todd Snider presided over their nups..

JF-30

Reaction score
Nope he went off and married Amanda Shires and if I am not mistaken troubadour Todd Snider presided over their nups..

Yep, she tours with him most times. Last time she was on tour with John Prine. The 2 or 3 times before that she was there.

Guildadelphia

Reaction score
I actually am fairly sure that when First Act were offering their "Custom" line of guitars they were actually manufactured in a small facility they had in Massachusetts.

ezstrummer

Reaction score
I have heard their high end stuff is really nice.. I just cant get over the name....

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Illusion solved - in both pictures the guitar is leaning slightly to left . . .

bobouz

Reaction score
There are & have been many factories around the world that focus on low end price points, but have the capability to build a stellar high end instrument.

It’s more a matter of targeting a market where they can survive long term.