Guild vs. Gibson

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was seeing what X-150 videos were out there and this comparison with a Gibson ES-175 came up. Not really apples to apples, but to my ears, the Guild trounces the Gibson, which sounds a bit hollow (ok, maybe a little bit pun intended). The Guild sounds smooth, warm, round, and full.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I liked the Gibson better in every clip and I think it's the pickups, but I did almost feel like the volume should have been rolled back a bit on the Gibson. I think the Gibson pickups were hotter and a bit nastier which is something I tend to like at times while I think the Guild pickups were too polite.

Cool vid, though. I wish more people would do stuff like that comparing the exact same licks.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
All depends on what sounds you look for out of a jazz box. Hotter and nastier I’d want in a solid-body. But, I’m sure you’d put a Bigsby on it, too. :neglected:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
All depends on what sounds you look for out of a jazz box. Hotter and nastier I’d want in a solid-body. But, I’m sure you’d put a Bigsby on it, too. :neglected:

Yeah, my jazz leanings are more of the Brian Setzer variety. I absolutely love watching a great jazz quartet, though, so I'm all for the tone. In fact, the hotel we're staying at in Boston has a "Jazz Brunch" that is wonderful. Looking forward to staying there again.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
the Guild sounds cleaner, and real nice! is that a Fender era HB-1? that thing sounds real good. the Gibson sounds hotter, like it wants a louder amp or some boss pedals. for what he is playing id prefer the Guild

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
That settles it, you just gotta have both of them!

bobouz

Reaction score
I preferred the Gibson, except in the finger-picking comparison.

parker_knoll

Reaction score
The truth is you could probably tweak the amp to get them both almost the same

swiveltung

Reaction score
The Guild a touch cleaner maybe. The Gibson a bit more mids, lows softer. I like both, it would be hard. Lean to the Guild though.

BoneDigger

Reaction score
Two great guitars and I'm not sure one is "better" than the other. Most of the descriptions above seem appropriate, but I don't hear anything negative in either one of these.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
A more apples-to apples-comparison would be a CE-100DP vs. an ES-175, which I did when I bought my first Guild at a guitar show years ago. For me, it was the feel of the guitar more than the sound.

gilded

Reaction score
I liked both guitars a lot, thought they were a bit different from each other and enjoyed each of them equally, until I heard the in the mix shoot out. I thought the Gibson sounded better.
I would think that the Guild has a stiffer top than the Gibson. The lead pickup is not used on the Gibson, but the hole for the bridge pickup effects the integrity of the top in general. It would not surprise me if the Guild was a 'tighter' guitar than the Gibson, but I could have it all wrong. I've spent a lot of time playing an X-170T and a DE-400 and both of those guitar were built a lot tighter than the Gibson X-175s that I have had in the past. Of course most of the Gibsons were pretty beat up before I got my hands on them!

I also have no experience with Thomastik guitar strings. Thomastik Jazz Flat Bass Strings are a different matter...

Reaction score
The Guild for the traditional old-school jazz purist! Smooth as silk! Creamy tone but excellent articulation.

More modern jazz cats might prefer the Gibson. A bit more bite. Sounds great, but there’s an oh-so-slight hint of “jazz being played on a rock guitar” vibe.

Both guitars sound great in those particular hands!

Ron from Texas

Reaction score
I like both but to real comparison for me is to hear them together with other instruments in a band . My hearing isn't very good with high pitches but bass noise over power high sounds for me .

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
It seems many here aren't really Gibson fans. I'm down to 6 Gibsons now but they are all really good. 4 J 45's, a Hummingbird and a Dove.

Guild is first in my heart and is by far the best value of any made in the USA guitar (just my opinion). But, you also will not find me bad mouthing Gibson acoustics (can't speak for their electric guitars)