Saw The Outlaw Music Fest Last Night

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So, it's really just the performers who AREN'T selling their music by the normal formula that the studios want to promote ? Which begs the question, ...." When THEIR style gets popular and the studios jump on board, are they still "outlaw" ?

JF-30

Reaction score
It doesn't matter. It will not happen. Nashville dictates what they want the general public to hear and what they know will sell tickets and downloads and however people are getting music today. The outsiders will find a way and a following. Willie, Waylon, Johnny and Merle ect, all did it and had and have legendary carriers. Remember Willie used to be part of the Nashville machine before he broke away. It was a bit different back then. MOST of what is on The Eagle or what ever country radio station it is on all just sounds exactly the same. I'm sick of hearing about a girl in booty shorts jumping up in the front seat of a truck with a cooler of beers in back. Its old and played out.

Last edited:

JF-30

Reaction score
So, it's really just the performers who AREN'T selling their music by the normal formula that the studios want to promote ? Which begs the question, ...." When THEIR style gets popular and the studios jump on board, are they still "outlaw" ?
I am pretty sure most of the big names in outlaw country still have tons of fans. If not Johnny, Willie, Waylon and Hag would just be obscure footnotes in music history, but they are not, they are LEGENDS and have entertained millions of people.

Popularity does not always equal quality. Case in point Taylor Swift.

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I am pretty sure most of the big names in outlaw country still have tons of fans. If not Johnny, Willie, Waylon and Hag would just be obscure footnotes in music history, but they are not, they are LEGENDS and have entertained millions of people.

Popularity does not always equal quality. Case in point Taylor Swift.

Oh my gosh, LOTS of cases in point. But usually, quality equals popularity for the lucky few. Hardly anyone knew who Jim Croce or Eva Cassidy were before they died; they just cranked out excellent music in their given time.

crank

Reaction score
Jim Croce had a string of hits and everyone knew who he was. Eva Cassidy was pretty much "discovered" after hear death.

Some of the modern country artists are great and a lot put out a lot of trash, just like today's rock and pop artists... just like back in the day when there was also a lot of popular crap around and probably always will be.

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
When I want authentic I just look no further than this guy...…

NAz8W0P.jpg

JF-30

Reaction score
There are 2 kinds of music. Music I like and music I don't. That is all to that.

I don't care who makes it as long as I like it.

netspirit

Reaction score
Went to the Outlaw Music Fest last night. There was 2 Guild sighting from the same performer. We missed Pure Bison. Caught the last 5 songs of Lukas Nelson And The Promise Of The Real. They were good. Next was Allison Krauss. She has an amazing voice, but she bored the hell out of me and nothing she did was outlaw. Next the Avett Brothers. Second time seeing them. They were great. Next Bonnie Raitt. First saw her over 30 years ago. She played 2 Guilds. One was a F-55 I think and the other was the same shape with 2 pickguards. Bonnie was great and when she did Angel From Montgomery, Allison came out and sang with her. Next was Willie. This was my 3rd time. He was okay. The first time I saw him he was amazing the last 2 were lackluster.

That was my impression of Allison Krauss, too. Love her musicianship and talent, but live shows need to be more upbeat. Saw her at the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival.

crank

Reaction score
Saw Willie on the live broadcast of Farm Aid last week on AXS (technically cablecast not broad). Anyway, to my ears he was not sounding nearly as good, both his voice and his guitar playing, than when we saw him in June.

jedzep

Reaction score
When I want authentic I just look no further than this guy...…

NAz8W0P.jpg

Happy I have no idea who this is. Thanks everyone, for not telling me. I love not to know.

The artist in the clip below exemplifies 'Americana' yet nowhere to be found on playlists. Listen to those long fingers play the bass and treble at the song's end.

Something's off kilter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixaebnjj3fw

Last edited:

beecee

Reaction score
Dread you listed the major players of the early outlaw movement for sure.. If we're getting technical Hank I is the first.. Getting tossed from the opry and all and really just kind of being different from the pack.. However the outlaw movement as we know it really starts with those characters.. Though I believe DAC kind of attached himself to this movement.. Just my opinion.. Whereas people like Billy Joe Shaver and Guy Clark are cats that contributed significantly to the lyrical validity of this movement and they don't always get the mention they should.. Same goes for TVZ.. Jerry Jeff was my fav of these when I was in high school, but these days I tend to lean more to the unsung heroes of the movement like Billy Joe..

PBS had a good series last week on Country and the segment on Outlaws pretty much mirrors what you said.

Made me pull out my Ol' Waylon album.

beecee

Reaction score
It was a bit different back then. MOST of what is on The Eagle or what ever country radio station it is on all just sounds exactly the same. I'm sick of hearing about a girl in booty shorts jumping up in the front seat of a truck with a cooler of beers in back. Its old and played out.

So baby, let's sell your diamond ring
Buy some boots and faded jeans and go away

hmmmm...