Roller Bridge?

mountainpix

Reaction score
1970s Guild electrics like my '79 S-300A have Muller roller bridges like the one seen here. The more modern reissues, like my 1996 S-100 have a more common Tune-o-matic style bridge. I tend to like the idea of roller bridges, and I am thinking about replacing my S-100's bridge with a '70s-vintage Muller. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts about pros and cons.

Screen-Shot-2019-10-09-at-10.22.02-PM.png

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
The Müller bridge comes with its own unique sound. I'd describe it as "plunkier" compared to a typical TOM bridge. Notes decay faster from the initial attack, though the overall sustain is pretty much the same. (For folks unfamiliar with the Müller, it's a semi-floating design: the bridge posts rest in metal cups recessed into the guitar's body rather than being screwed in.) One of my favorite things about the Müller is the ability to adjust string spacing.

-Dave-

Last edited:

koaguilds

Reaction score
I agree with Qauntum.... the Mueller has it's own unique sound. I have a 1993 S100 and it has the last version of the Mueller. A very nice sound.

You won't be able to put a Mueller on your later 90's Gotoh equipped S100 for a number of reasons. The first being the posts of the Mueller are spaced further apart, the second being the posts are a different size than the Gotoh bushings even if the spacing were correct. There probably is a roller bridge that would fit the metric posts of the Gotoh. The Schaller won't work. If I see anything I'll post it here.

The ones I have seen that would fit don't allow string spacing adjustments and then there is the issue of matching the fretboard radius. I'm not sure what late 90's S100's radii are.https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Roller-Tunematic-Bridge-Large-Mounting-Holes-With-Hardware-CHROME/333356367584?epid=2254471288&hash=item4d9d967ee0:g:K6UAAOSw54Ndnzxl:sc:USPSFirstClass!23227!US!-1

Last edited:

DThomasC

Reaction score
Be aware that the post spacing on the Muller bridge is wider than most at about 3.1" (rough measurement.) The Gotoh found on late 1990's Bluesbirds is around 2.9" for comparison.

Also, I'm being more than a little pedantic here, but the Muller isn't really a roller bridge in the sense that the saddles don't rotate freely. They look like rollers, but that's just to allow adjustment in string spacing. The tension of the strings pushes the saddles down against the bridge preventing rotation.