Personal Grail F312

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Just noticed the ebony board.. Also a very nice touch for that model!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Might I be so bold as to ask where you found this guitar?

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That back is to die for!
The sides also look great! Congrat's Troy! What a special guitar!

49127393571_be273c2bed_z.jpg

Ralf

sonic romp

Reaction score
Might I be so bold as to ask where you found this guitar?

Not too bold at all...and not that incredible of a story behind it: A private seller happened to advertise on the Mandolin Cafe within an hour of my checking in. For vintage stuff, that forum posts some really great guitars, but rarely Guilds.

I had a little pocket change hid away and got really dry-mouthed telling my wife a once in a lifetime 12-string had come up (I’d been bending her ear off and on for 2+ years) and she said, “Sure you’ve been working hard...” When a middle school English teacher like me hears “You’ve been working hard...” we just say, “Thank you for noticing.”

beecee

Reaction score
she said, “Sure you’ve been working hard...”

You're a lucky man!

Gotta tell ya, I was so absorbed by the back I didn't notice the sides...wow!!

sonic romp

Reaction score
she said, “Sure you’ve been working hard...”

You're a lucky man!

Thanks — and for many reasons, of course. The last real guitar “green light” she gave me was over 7 years ago (we have small kids now). Not complaining, of course, but she recognizes I only ask when it’s obviously the will and order of the larger universe. Who’d want to go and upset that? 🤔

Br1ck

Reaction score
The Mandolin Cafe crowd has some nice guitars posted for sale. I try to stay away. Looking at the mandolins is bad enough. For you that don't pay attention to mandolins, double the cost of a guitar for comparable mandolins. So 3K becomes 6K and 6k becomes 12K.

The better builders are getting $18,000+.

That Guild has me drooling. Score of your decade for sure. Ought to quell GAS for at least six months.

dbirchett

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar and congratulations on getting one that means so much to you!

sonic romp

Reaction score
I've been following this on UMGF. Beautiful guitar, you're going to love it! Has anyone seen a sunburst f-312 before? I sure haven't.

I’ve seen this one from 7 years ago — so they’re out there. Because it’s a pretty dark setting, I can’t be too sure how it would photograph in direct light:

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen this one from 7 years ago — so they’re out there.

Not saying that they don't exist, because I've seen a few, but the one in the video is not an original '67 sunburst. It has been completely re-done with a new top and therefore new bridge and pickguard. The fingerboard and headstock overlay are also replacements and so are the machineheads. Looking at the sunburst finish and the various specs I would say the work was done sometime towards the end of the '70s.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hans - with so many replaced parts - is there any "official list" saying how many % of a guitar each part represents? Then we could use that to determine whether or not the guitar is original after so many parts replaced.

- back 15 % - with braces 20%
- top 15 % - with braces 20 %
- body sides 10%
- neck 15 - with fingerboard 20%
- bridge
- tuners
- bindings
- pickguard
- etc

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Man, O Man, I took out my '65 F-312 this morning and played a few songs. The house is still ringing from the overtones!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hans - with so many replaced parts - is there any "official list" saying how many % of a guitar each part represents? Then we could use that to determine whether or not the guitar is original after so many parts replaced.

Not sure what the use would be for such a list. In this case we're looking at a Guild guitar that was restored by Guild using original Guild parts from that particular period. For all practical purposes it is still a Guild guitar that would be great to have and that would still have value as a musical instrument. How much the value would be depends on who you're asking.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

sonic romp

Reaction score
Not saying that they don't exist, because I've seen a few, but the one in the video is not an original '67 sunburst. It has been completely re-done with a new top and therefore new bridge and pickguard. The fingerboard and headstock overlay are also replacements and so are the machineheads. Looking at the sunburst finish and the various specs I would say the work was done sometime towards the end of the '70s.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Gosh, Hans, I guess I assumed at least some of those particulars would be brought up in his video if they existed, but “buyer beware” for sure.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Then we could use that to determine whether or not the guitar is original after so many parts replaced.
I'd say in general there are only two "super-structure parts" in each guitar. A body and a neck. As long as the neck and the body somehow belonged together during original manufacturing it is an original guitar, no matter of a replaced top or bottom or any other parts. Think a Stratocaster where people freely replace bodies and necks. Now if you had a stratocaster and change the body and the neck to aftermarket parts that makes it no Stratocaster anymore. If you simply replace the tuners, pickguard, pickups, using the original body and neck, it's still a Stratocaster but with aftermarket parts. A Fender Stratocaster body with Warmoth neck would make it somehow a "Parto-Caster" to me. A Fender neck with different Strat style body wouldn't make it a Fender guitar for me anymore.
Ralf

Last edited: