My D 35

Br1ck

Reaction score
I've spent the last two weeks just playing my 70 D 35. I've a new appreciation for it. It's evenness is superb, and the neck is perfect. Beat up enough I can take it anywhere without worry. The top comes alive, clear and resonant at the same time. Well worth the considerable sum I spent fixing it up.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sounds like a real sweetheart. Reading your post,
I'm about ready to re-discover my late 60's D35, haven't
had it out in awhile. Mine's got plenty of character marks too :black_eyed:

qNLFKOQl.jpg

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
My buddy's '76 D35 on the left, my '76 D25M on the right.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]
reekDrO.jpg

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]
o7RMXXm.jpg
[/FONT][SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]
[/FONT]

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice photos dread, always happy to see that '76 burst, interesting to note the
differences between it and my '68.

hpVbTPdh.jpg

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Dread - I have one just like your buddy's that is a '78 with bumps and bruises. I take it on road trips etc.. It plays beautifully and evenly.. I just took it to Houston for a post thanksgiving gathering with my family and as usual it did not disappoint.. My cousin brought his Taylor and when he played mine was like "wow'.. Also it had a re-set about 3 years ago so it has quite a few years left before it will need another one..

7aKxGMy.jpg

donnylang

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just jumping in to add this 1969 D35 is my only guitar these days (all I need really):

WoznuAW.jpg

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
NICE!

I like that same Jim Dunlop Ultex pick too, been using one lately!

Had a natural top '69 I sold that looks it might have been made about
the same time as yours, although the bridge wood looks different.

OJ2253 was a great guitar, and surprisingly different sounding
than the OJ839, the burst I posted earlier.

w98FLkTh.jpg

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
My buddy will probably never sell his '76 D35 Tobacco Sunburst, but he defected and bought a Martin D-16 a couple years ago. Another great guitar.

donnylang

Reaction score
NICE!

I like that same Jim Dunlop Ultex pick too, been using one lately!

Had a natural top '69 I sold that looks it might have been made about
the same time as yours, although the bridge wood looks different.

OJ2253 was a great guitar, and surprisingly different sounding
than the OJ839, the burst I posted earlier.

w98FLkTh.jpg

Ah cool ... I usually use the orange Tortex, but this one came w/ the guitar ha.

This one has a lot of repaired cracks to the top, and braces were redone as well (scalloped and forwarded shifted, though I'm not entirely sure what this means) ... so not sure if this sounds the same as other D35s but it sounds really good.

Hard to tell from YouTube, but this is a pretty good recording and mine sounds of a similar flavor (mine might be a little brighter):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJpo3qPUjKU

When I listen to clips of later versions, they sound a bit different. Wondering if there is something different about the small pickguard versions w/ the black headstock overlay?

Mine is OJ-1558, so looks like it's right between your two :D

Last edited:

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Donny, cool info and good to know!
Great vid too - sweet tone on the one in the video
seems to be landing somewhere right in 2253 and 839.

Br1ck

Reaction score
A bruised D35 is the ultimate beater. Mine has bear claw all over the top. Surprised it wasn't painted.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
A good D35 is quite a guitar. Over time, it changed my life, changed my playing. To me, it's a reference sound.

I had one years ago, so little I remember about it, other than for how long I made love to it, tinkered with every little aspect until it played and sounded as well as you could hope a guitar to sound. That particular tone must have imprinted in my brain, that EQ just sits really well with me, crisp, clean, lots of overtones and sweet sustain.

Eventually, as I neglect guitars after that tinkering stage, I moved on, sold it on eBay to Ray Davies in England, sent it. I wonder if I still have an email of his but I remember the guitar being very well received.

Digressing, during my eBay career I also sold a distortion pedal to Mick in Slipknot, and some vintage Harley chopper parts to Dan Auerbach.

I found a picture of that guitar a while back, I should post it here, now, as this is as close to a D35 thread as they get ;)

Last edited:

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
So here it is, my 1st Guild, this is about 20 years ago, bought it at a pawn shop for round $600. I see it's got a metal TRC, the only one I've ever had on a Guild. I'm not sure I had the serial # recorded, probably, but where to find it now.

This is in the year 2000 or thereabouts.

large.jpg

And my only other guitar at the time, a guitar now only spoken of in hushed tones...

large.jpg

The unfaded area under the burs't pickguard, that's why it's off, to show it.

Last edited:

Antney

Reaction score
So here it is, my 1st Guild, this is about 20 years ago, bought it at a pawn shop for round $600. I see it's got a metal TRC, the only one I've ever had on a Guild. I'm not sure I had the serial # recorded, probably, but where to find it now.

This is in the year 2000 or thereabouts.

large.jpg

And my only other guitar at the time, a guitar now only spoken of in hushed tones...

large.jpg

The unfaded area under the burs't pickguard, that's why it's off, to show it.

Very nice...what year is the les paul?

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That was a fairly odd ball guitar that came out of Nashville, from someone who was aging flametops, in the relic business.

It was a 1990, seemingly a prototype made for the NAMM show, as there was something relating to it stamped into the wood at the control cavity's edge.

It was basically what would become the Les Paul Classic, somewhat of an iconic guitar from 1990-1992, very early 1993 actually.

The early "Classic" had all of the hallmarks of the earlier models, correct neck angle, press in tuner bushings, thin binding revealing the Maple in the cutaway and the headstock was sikscreened Les Paul Model, not Les Paul Classic.

These two last features disappeared in 1993, as Gibson was trying to put some distance between the burgeoning Historic series and the Classic.

Gibson, as usual having their heads mostly up somewhere, wasn't actually making a correct Historic very well, some details were off (had been for 20 years, people had been trying to get Gibson to redo the Flametop, and they never got it right), so unscrupulous dealers had been taking really choice Classics, switching out the TRC and PG (that had 1960 on it), and passing them off as Historics which cost something $2400 back then.

In time the Classic became a run of the mill Les Paul with the ugliest "Mountain Dew" inlays, although through the 1990's some had just simply amazing tops.

This one here was pretty special. When I found it through a big time wheeler dealer that lives over in the next state, we did some trading, and I'd say it was like I did a deal with the devil, but I had to have it.