Artist Award

GGJaguar

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I finally got around to adding a page for this model to my website - 1996 Artist Award.
I kind of went down the rabbit hole with the headstocks, but it was fun.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Nice!

BTW, I enjoyed your 1958 Gibson ES-225TD page when I was researching my 1958 ES-225T. Thanks!

walrus

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very nice! I have a very similar '88 in the review pile.

GGJaguar

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
BTW, I enjoyed your 1958 Gibson ES-225TD page when I was researching my 1958 ES-225T.

Glad you liked it! That was one guitar that sounded awesome, but was double black diamond difficult to play without feedback. Too much for me to handle so I had to let it go.

GGJaguar

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very nice! I have a very similar '88 in the review pile.

Thanks, looking forward to your review! I'll add a link to it when it's done since I know it will be a "deep dive" compared to my basic info.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that with us; it’s sure a beauty!

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Great review and history of the Artist Award series. I enjoyed the headstock comparisons and photos. I've always admired the "pitcher and star" motif with the abalone border.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Love the contrast between the "Check me out!" headstock and the otherwise restrained look of the AAs. Reminds me of the Kay archtops with the Kelvinator headstock ornamentation.

What string gauge are you using given the scale length? (I've got one of those Kays, a Jazz II, with a set of flatwound 11s currently on it. Thinking about trying a set of roundwound 10s for a little more electric bite in the mids.)

-Dave-

GGJaguar

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What string gauge are you using given the scale length?

Originally I had flatwound nickel .012s on it which sounded great when played through an amp and decent enough acoustically. Now I'm playing it strictly as an acoustic so it's strung with 80/20 bronze .013-.056. It sounds fine, but I need to try other strings to see if it likes something better. Truth be told, since its design is a compromise to temper feedback, it's not nearly as loud or harmonically rich as my "budget" Kay K-11 (laminate body w/solid pressed top). It is also one of the most laser-focused archtops I've played. It projects straight out and if listener is off-axis, there is noticeable tonal loss - even more for the player so I tilt it back towards me. I'm not a fan of sound ports in the side of the body, but this guitar would be a candidate for one. Finally, to be fair, the Kay is strictly an acoustic archtop and is 40 years older than the Guild so there's that.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Originally I had flatwound nickel .012s on it which sounded great when played through an amp and decent enough acoustically. Now I'm playing it strictly as an acoustic so it's strung with 80/20 bronze .013-.056. It sounds fine, but I need to try other strings to see if it likes something better. Truth be told, since its design is a compromise to temper feedback, it's not nearly as loud or harmonically rich as my "budget" Kay K-11 (laminate body w/solid pressed top). It is also one of the most laser-focused archtops I've played. It projects straight out and if listener is off-axis, there is noticeable tonal loss - even more for the player so I tilt it back towards me. I'm not a fan of sound ports in the side of the body, but this guitar would be a candidate for one. Finally, to be fair, the Kay is strictly an acoustic archtop and is 40 years older than the Guild so there's that.

Thanks for that. Forgot to mention the Jazz II's scale length (~25.625") is the same as or very close to the AA's, which prompted my question. Given its age and the nature of Kay necks (not the sturdiest ever made) I think I'll keep babying it string-wise. :)

Every time I see a clip of Mary Halvorson playing her AA I'm tempted to get one. (She's my favorite player of weird guitar.)

-Dave-

Last edited:

GGJaguar

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
"Neck Width at Nut: 1 11/64 inches"
Really? :>)

Yeah, I know. I'm a scientist so I get carried away with resolution sometimes. I rounded it up to the more practical 1 3/4 inches. :)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know. I'm a scientist so I get carried away with resolution sometimes. I rounded it up to the more practical 1 3/4 inches. :)
Except that catalog spec was actually 1-11/16; I thought it was just a typo on the "16".
Also think 1-3/4 would be considered excessively wide for a jazz archtop.
:friendly_wink:

GGJaguar

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Except that catalog spec was actually 1-11/16; I thought it was just a typo on the "16".
Also think 1-3/4 would be considered excessively wide for a jazz archtop.

It's wide for sure. My Megas Athena also has a 1 3/4" nut width so there must be jazzbo players that dig wide necks. I'm acclimated to it since all my acoustic guitars have 1 3/4" nut widths and I'm just cowboy chording on it. LOL

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It's wide for sure. My Megas Athena also has a 1 3/4" nut width so there must be jazzbo players that dig wide necks. I'm acclimated to it since all my acoustic guitars have 1 3/4" nut widths and I'm just cowboy chording on it. LOL
Just wanted to be sure.
In counterpoint, there's some known precedent for higher-end models to get 1-3/4 nuts at the time, too, so it's not too surprising,
Or it might just be a smidge over spec but still in tolerance.

Reaction score
As always, nice and concise and to the point. I always learn something from your site.
Thanks John

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Great write-up! I especially enjoyed the detail in the headstock page. Nice work...