'Nother Guild sighting.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Who knew Louie, Louie was played on a Guild?

gettyimages-74280080-37670-jpg.3611168

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
One of the very very early Starfire V made. With the beautiful white diamond shaped buttons on the Kolb tuners and the round style pickguard.
Here live in full action:

Mike Mitchell still loves his Guilds, here a few years later and with a Starfire II:

24116245-standard.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Great photo, Ralf! Although I think it's more than "a few" years later!

walrus

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Awesome pic. Way cool matching super early Sunn piggyback amps, Gretsch round badge drums, icing on the cake is I've got that same exact Gibson SG bass, mine is a '63.

That is one outrageously awesome Guild.

I played Louie Louie at an outdoor festival with 100 + other guitar players, band was on the stage and about 100 guys with guitars in front of the stage, it was totally awesome.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
One of the very very early Starfire V made. With the beautiful white diamond shaped buttons on the Kolb tuners and the round style pickguard.

..... and the early 'center dip' headstock shape, but that's just the cosmetic stuff. More interesting are the DeArmond pickups and the 'Duane Eddy'-like lay-out of the controls!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Really? A "one hit wonder" band, and the guitar's in a museum?

walrus

Museum of Pop Culture

WASEAemp_1197.jpg

woodstock-strat-lg.jpg

And let's face it, as one-hit wonders go, the tune's legendary.
"Another factor in the success of the record may have been the rumor that the lyrics were intentionally slurred by the Kingsmen—to cover up the alleged fact that the lyrics were laced with profanity...The song was banned on many radio stations and in many places in the United States....
These actions were taken despite the small matter that practically no one could distinguish the actual lyrics.
Denials of chicanery by Kingsmen and Ely did not stop the controversy.
The FBI started a 31-month investigation into the matter and concluded they were "unable to interpret any of the wording in the record"
(Why am I not surprised? :glee:)
Knocked out of Cashbox #1 position by some English group, with "I Want To Hold Your Hand"
:smile:

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
"Another factor in the success of the record may have been the rumor that the lyrics were intentionally slurred by the Kingsmen—to cover up the alleged fact that the lyrics were laced with profanity...The song was banned on many radio stations and in many places in the United States....

These actions were taken despite the small matter that practically no one could distinguish the actual lyrics.

Knocked out of Cashbox #1 position by some English group, with "I Want To Hold Your Hand"
:smile:

Which also had at least one word that at least one person couldn't understand - Bob Dylan! He thought they were singing "I get high" instead of "I can't hide". And there begins the legend (and true story) of Dylan turning the Beatles on to marijuana...

walrus