Repair Question

JF-30

Reaction score
How can you repair (cover up ect.) a guitar neck that had a strap button installed? There are 2 things I hate about acoustics one is electric's being added and another is when pins are installed on the neck. There is a guitar I am interested in and the pup I can remove and put in a Nojack form Stew Mac. I've done that before on an acoustic I bought that had a pup installed. Now can the neck be taken care of?

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The hole shouldn't be too big. You don't say what color or what type of wood but you can plug the hole and tint the plug to match the rest of the neck, then drop fill the finish (if it's lacquer). It won't be invisible completely but better than an empty hole. That's my guess on how you'd fix that. Most common place for a strap pin is on the heel of the neck. Where would you put one? Or just no strap pin at all?

JF-30

Reaction score
The neck is Hog and it is in the spot everyone puts one down by the body (on the neck) where the neck is joined to it.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The neck is Hog and it is in the spot everyone puts one down by the body (on the neck) where the neck is joined to it.
Second Tom's idea that you can plug it and given enough selection you might even be able to find a dowel to use that had very closely matching grain for the best aesthetic match.
Maybe ask you favorite luthier if he's got any ideas?
It's the color match that I'd think would be the toughest thing.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
With a mahogany neck, it pays to use mahogany with the same grain orientation to plug it. Of all the woods, it’s the best to do a minimally visible plug.

JF-30

Reaction score
I just watched a YT video about how to plug a hole. Plugging the hole looks easy, but getting the plug the shape of the neck and not f-ing up the neck is the trick. I may call the guy I have do work on my guitar I can't or won't. Plus all the repair videos I have watched were in places where the hole would be covered up by a neck pocket or it was on a strap button on the end of an electric guitar or under a tuner.

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Curious how you will attach your strap...I used to attach mine by the tuners, but I found that interfered with my hand...ended up putting my straps on the heel.

crank

Reaction score
In order to put a wood plug in it I believe you would have to drill a wider hole. I would either leave the strap pin or take it out and put the screw holding it back in. Personally I wouldn't want to make a bigger hole to fit a plug and try to make that plug match the neck and finish.

JF-30

Reaction score
As good as a deal as it is, for some reason this guitar must have been gigged and played a lot. Its a 2016 and had already had a full re-fret. I think I'm just gonna let it go and keep looking.