Is this how it all starts? The downward spiral.......

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So, after a very enjoyable evening we got home about 7:30ish. And I walked out and checked the soundhole humidifier in Don's Avalon (super amazing guitar! It was made the first year the employees ousted George Lowden and he left with his name and they kept the factory and wood and everything) so I pull the Planet Waves humidifier out and shook it, rattle-rattle, the sponge is dry. So with it in hand I walked to the kitchen maybe ten steps away. At some point during the ten steps i took the top off and tipped the dry sponge out. Rinsed and wrung out the sponge, put it back in the humidifier, and then...... there's no lid. At some point in the ten steps I took the top off and walked straight to the kitchen sink, loaded the sponge, and now..... no top. None. Two of us have been searching for hours!! It's nowhere!! How does this happen? Ten steps and the only surface is when you get to the kitchen counter top!! it's gone.

I keep trying to tell myself it'll all be okay but..... where the hell did it go??

I have to go to sleep soon and calm my mind.

This makes NO SENSE to me....... :grief: :grief:

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
The elves will return it while you sleep.

beecee

Reaction score
Hans knows where it is — but you have to wait for Volume 2 for the answer.

Ha!

Don't feel bad. I was running late one day last month and couldn't find my sunglasses. Looked everywhere, ripped bedroom and car apart. Looked through every coat or suit I wore in recent days etc. etc.

I was really getting ticked off.

Wifey and daughter were not kind........they had noticed, (about ten minutes earlier) that they were perched on my forehead.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Keep us posted as I want assurance someone else has discovered a cure for this time lapse phenomenon.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Did you check that it didn't fall in the kitchen sink?

walrus

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Starts? That’s been happening to since the ‘80s!

I can remember working on my ‘69 Ford Torino and losing a wrench. Spent hours looking for it. *gone*

Days later I’m driving it and hear a rattle. I open the hood and the wrench is right there on the air filter cover clear as day.

I have decades of examples into the present day. Now, my dad died when I was 17, and I long ago decided that it’s him messing with me since always told me to put things away where they belonged. :)

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
There was a nice F20 I was looking at on Reverb for a while where the guy had taken the bridge saddle out during a string change and that it had fallen into a heat register in the house, and was never coming back out...

Sad, but true.

You should really start worrying when you can't find the sunglasses that are on your head, and the keys that are already in your pocket...

Same as above, I've lost wrenches, sockets, spark plugs that fall out of your hand, never hit the ground but can never be found again...

After a while, you agree with all the other mechanics out there who claim there is a parallel universe or some such thing where things fall, but then just reappear, laying on the grass or whatever.

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I've noticed when I drop anything smaller than, say, a 2x4 on the ground anywhere near a piece of furniture, that thing will, in defiance of all known laws of physics, locate the most difficult-to-reach spot under or behind the furniture and then do its best to disappear into that spot.

-Dave-

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, yeah, tools always! And I've even been sitting on the shop floor and not gotten up for anything and the screwdriver or the socket wrench is gone!! FROM A SITTING POSITION!! walrus, I checked the sink and garbage disposal carefully with my hand and then turned it on just to make sure (with the hand removed) and still nothing. I've checked my pockets, everything. I assume it'll show up one day after I've bought a new one.

The worst I ever did was when I was on the cell phone with someone, racing around my house trying to leave for an appointment and when they asked, "What's going on there?" because I was all frantic, I said, "I'm trying to find my phone because I gotta leave!!!" They said, "Uhmmmm, you're talking to me on it....."

Well, that's embarrassing......

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, yeah, tools always! And I've even been sitting on the shop floor and not gotten up for anything and the screwdriver or the socket wrench is gone!! FROM A SITTING POSITION!! walrus, I checked the sink and garbage disposal carefully with my hand and then turned it on just to make sure (with the hand removed) and still nothing. I've checked my pockets, everything. I assume it'll show up one day after I've bought a new one.

The worst I ever did was when I was on the cell phone with someone, racing around my house trying to leave for an appointment and when they asked, "What's going on there?" because I was all frantic, I said, "I'm trying to find my phone because I gotta leave!!!" They said, "Uhmmmm, you're talking to me on it....."

Well, that's embarrassing......

That just happened to me this morning!

I had the phone in my hand, thought about something, reached for my phone with the other hand and panicked - Oh no! Where's my phone! Right there in my other hand.

bobouz

Reaction score
It’s the Cheerio Vortex Factor.

Drop a Cheerio & it might roll all the way to China!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
FOUND IT!!! Somehow I guess I dropped it (it's black plastic) and it hit the laminate flooring WITHOUT MAKING A SOUND, and slid under the back leg of the guitar stand. I just lifted the Avalon off the stand and there it was. Hoooo boy......

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
FOUND IT!!! Somehow I guess I dropped it (it's black plastic) and it hit the laminate flooring WITHOUT MAKING A SOUND, and slid under the back leg of the guitar stand. I just lifted the Avalon off the stand and there it was. Hoooo boy......

Congratulations. This means we can close the thread, right? :)

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here something vaguely related.

I have been trying to find an issue in a miniature swiss tape recorder - no schematics unfortunataely - so it will take time - anyhoo - I have a set of presicion screwdriwer tips + handle - suddenly one bit was missing from table - nowhere to be found - not on the floor - - - -finally - I have a battery-run worklight with magnets on it's back- of course that and the bit had found each other . . .

So I am stil working to find what's wrong with that little tape recorder untill I can report further. . .

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
About 7 years ago we went out to dinner and came home like normal. I actually (for a change) hung up my pants in the closet. Next day I started a search for my wallet. Nowhere!! I crawled around on the floor, inside the closet, my truck, the parking lot at the restaurant, and the manager even checked the security video to make sure I didn't leave it at the bar. Nothing! So I started replacing things. Drivers License, all new cards, Clark County Health Dept. Card and TAM Card (for work to serve food and liquor), everything. Everything got replaced and I even got a new wallet. So two weeks later, I'm talking on the phone staring at how filthy the carpeting is and knowing it was time to get it cleaned, when I found it. Can you see where it is??

NxmvvG.jpg