Guitar Center..... when will I ever learn..... sheesh!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Al:
Been about 90% certain on my third Guild tonewood being Mahogany and D40 is in my price range but something about the D46 (Ash back and sides) has been occupying my imagination a lot, lately. My research says they are a nice guitar. Big hold up is I have never seen or heard one in person. Have you? Thanks
And I have made mistakes before!

Sorry buddy, never heard a D46.
All I can say is that my own D40 has been steadily gaining ground on the other 2, tone, volume, and affection-wise.
Folks who knew me back when I joined might recall I used to consider it the "sonic runt of the litter".
Now I can hear how clean it really is, and have discovered it records the best of the litter as well.
Was listening to some old recordings last weekend and realized how much punch and balance it had even back then around '07-08, just like Richie Havens said.
And when doing some stuff on my GF's lowly cell-phone last year, the D40 had the least amount of distortion, almost none, compared to the other 2 which were surprisingly badly "fuzzy" to me.
HAS to be the flat back.
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I will say, that its the people in the individual GC stores that make the difference. When you get a crew (manager, sales staff) that know their stuff and actually give a damn, you can get a positive experience.

bobouz

Reaction score
I will say, that its the people in the individual GC stores that make the difference. When you get a crew (manager, sales staff) that know their stuff and actually give a damn, you can get a positive experience.

Yes indeed.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's the damn truth, Chris, and this used to be one of the best stores ever!! I bought my Taylor there from a guy who later became a friend named Mark. When management changed and they took away comission, he left and went to work for Apple. I saw him 3 months ago when I had to take my new iPhone to be wiped before I could return it to AT&T. When I was dealing on the Taylor I actually sat down with the manager and we negotiated. And we made a deal. This new manager plays games. When I finally went in and asked about the blue Breedlove (it had been two months of them effing around) I was playing a guitar and the guy came in and said, "The manager wants to talk to you." I said, "Fine, I'm right here." Well, no he wanted me to go to HIM in a different part of the store. So I said, fine and walked out and said, "Are you Alon?" He had the phone handset to his head and he held his finger up like, "Give me a minute." I said, "I thought you wanted to talk to me? Are you on hold?" He nodded yes. I said, "Then talk." He did this rolling eyes thing and then finally said, "I'm trying to find out when that guitar is available to ship." I told him, "Two months ago they were looking at two weeks to shipping because they'd just come out of the spray booth." His eyes got kinda big and he said, "How do you know that?" I said, "I CALLED THEM. They're a business! They have telephones."

So when he finished his call he said they could get it in about a week and that's when he hit me with the $1000 non-refundable deposit!! And that's when I walked out. Haven't been there since. It used to be a good store.

Sandy thanks for that link. I'm gonna follow up on that one!!

Glad I can keep y'all entertained!! That's why you're here, to keep me somewhat grounded!! LOL!! :encouragement::encouragement:

swiveltung

Reaction score
My experience is if you show them the online price they will match it. Seems with that and the dings you should have got it for 1700-1800

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Another aspect of that and I do agree with you is keeping help . From what I understand only the managers make ok money . Floor folks sound like their lucky to pay bills. But I actually do not actually know thier pay scales.

I was at one time was entertaining the idea of part time work there but it’s to far away .

AZLiberty

Reaction score

In Phoenix we have 5 Guitar Centers. (7 if you count the two in Tucson)

Every one of them is different, and the quality of the service can change markedly with just a couple of hires/turnovers.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Just came from Action Music in Falls Church where I "played" their New Oxnard D40. Super nice group of folks and D40 there. Price still $2300 and Sweetwater new is $1599 to your door.
I just made an offer to individual for D46 - Spruce top and ash back and sides. Have had no response from lady in Arlington, VA concerning her D40. So one offer on D46 and waiting.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just came from Action Music in Falls Church where I "played" their New Oxnard D40. Super nice group of folks and D40 there. Price still $2300 and Sweetwater new is $1599 to your door.
I just made an offer to individual for D46 - Spruce top and ash back and sides. Have had no response from lady in Arlington, VA concerning her D40. So one offer on D46 and waiting.

Are you sure you are comparing apples and oranges? I go to Sweetwater and see both a GD40Nat for $1599 and a GD40TradNat for $2399. Action is an independent, bricks and mortar store so expecting them to match Sweetwater's prices may be unreasonable but every time I pulled out my credit card and then said "Let's Talk" they came much closer to the internet price than the apparent $700 difference.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/compare.php?items=(GD40NAT,GD40TradNat)

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Frono:
You are correct----again. I was comparing apples to oranges.
I have since made an offer on D46 and waiting reply.