WTB WTB Guild Acoustic Sub $400

Wanted to Buy

Maloburro

Reaction score
I've always wanted a real Guild. I passed on the chance for a D4 at $450 and a local buy that had some repair but I regret not getting it. I'm interested in the D240e since it has coupons and such available to help bring the price down. Originally I wanted a USA Guild but the GAD and Westerly seem to get good reviews so I'd settle for that. I don't care about cosmetics, just playability. I don't care about electronics but I wouldn't mind having them. I don't care about design. I have 3 dreads and I'm trying to sell them to help fund this.

Does anyone have something they would like to part with? Thanks for your help.

Maloburro

Reaction score
Hi Arkie, I also posted a thread in the acoustic forum. I'm in Northern California. I've been scouring the local CL, Offer Up and LetitGo. I'm thinking I'll have to go 450-500 to find a USA model. The Acoustic commenters convinced me to increase the budget and get a D4 or D25. I've found a few Chinese models in the high 200s and a few Mexican Martins in the 3-400 range but I'm thinking I should hold out for a USA Guild. It's a shame because there were several for sale around here about 6 months ago and now they're all gone.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, I'd hold out for a D4. Bought one for the wife, and as much as I like the Guild GAD's that have passed through my hands, the D4 has "it", where "it" is that undefinable but know-it-when-you-hear-it quality you look for in an acoustic.

Here's an example on an east coast CL for $400. They seem to show up regularly on CL with asking prices in the $400-$600 range. With some patience you should be able to score something.

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi Arkie, I also posted a thread in the acoustic forum. I'm in Northern California. I've been scouring the local CL, Offer Up and LetitGo. I'm thinking I'll have to go 450-500 to find a USA model. The Acoustic commenters convinced me to increase the budget and get a D4 or D25. I've found a few Chinese models in the high 200s and a few Mexican Martins in the 3-400 range but I'm thinking I should hold out for a USA Guild. It's a shame because there were several for sale around here about 6 months ago and now they're all gone.

i think if you can hold out longer, your Guild ship will eventually come in. It gets easier if you can up your ceiling to* 500, but i get it...

Maloburro

Reaction score
Thank you. I think you're right I'll either have to up the limit to 500 or I may give in to the GAS if I find a Chinese Guild in the the $250 range.

I called on the D4 at GC. They said it had a neck reset, a refin on the top which was done directly over the pick marks in the body, and a split that ran the length of the bridge pins. I know they're made to be played but I'm not sure if that's a risk I want to take, although I know I could return it minus the shipping.

4-600 seems the going rate if. IF I find one locally I'll go check it out. I'm just kicking myself that there were 4 different models locally I should have jumped on and I hesitated.

I'm also worried I may give in to a well priced Taylor or Martin. Of course neither of those are hardly ever well priced. I'll try to be patient but you know how GAS is. Ironically I haven't even had time to play lately so the AJ18 is more than adequate for the time being.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thank you. I think you're right I'll either have to up the limit to 500 or I may give in to the GAS if I find a Chinese Guild in the the $250 range.

I called on the D4 at GC. They said it had a neck reset, a refin on the top which was done directly over the pick marks in the body, and a split that ran the length of the bridge pins. I know they're made to be played but I'm not sure if that's a risk I want to take, although I know I could return it minus the shipping.

4-600 seems the going rate if. IF I find one locally I'll go check it out. I'm just kicking myself that there were 4 different models locally I should have jumped on and I hesitated.

I'm also worried I may give in to a well priced Taylor or Martin. Of course neither of those are hardly ever well priced. I'll try to be patient but you know how GAS is. Ironically I haven't even had time to play lately so the AJ18 is more than adequate for the time being.

Hold out, and trust me on this! Any Taylor you can buy in the $500 range is hecho en Mexico, and probably junk, especially compared to a nice D25, the best bang for the buck dread ever made IMO. It definitely takes some discipline, but it will be worth it. You've got a lot of enablers here!

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
... I'm also worried I may give in to a well priced Taylor or Martin. Of course neither of those are hardly ever well priced. I'll try to be patient but you know how GAS is. Ironically I haven't even had time to play lately so the AJ18 is more than adequate for the time being.

Don't do it - if you do, you'll eventually run into a D4, play it, and face palm. Hard.

Be strong son, be strong.

Maloburro

Reaction score
Thanks for keeping me focused. Even the d240e at $250 is tempting me. There is a D35 with an obvious headstock repair on CL for $500 and a JF30-12 for $650. The JF is super nice but I'm not sure how I'll get on with a wider 12 string neck (and price is a little high for my budget).

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks for keeping me focused. Even the d240e at $250 is tempting me. There is a D35 with an obvious headstock repair on CL for $500 and a JF30-12 for $650. The JF is super nice but I'm not sure how I'll get on with a wider 12 string neck (and price is a little high for my budget).

Patience grasshopper..what gjmalcyon said is true.
We've seen it dozens of times, no sooner does somebody fold than his dream guitar shows up.
The D35 might be priced "ok" without the repair, but there's tons of unrepaired ones out there, and the JF30-12 actually sounds a little low at $650 so might have problems.

Maloburro

Reaction score

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
This popped up. I'm thinking I should just bid as far as I can go with it. What do you think? Looks good right? I'm sure it will sell for much more than my highest bid but you never know right?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guild-Dreadnought-D-40CE-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-Guild-hardshell-case-Excel/322617967633
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guild-Dread...uitar-Guild-hardshell-case-Excel/322617967633

Sorry 'Burro, it's one of the MIC types.
Fretboard inlays are immediate giveaway, before we even look at the pickguard..in fact that's not even called out correctly, it should be a D-140ce.
And to me, that immediately calls the seller's credibility into question.

FYI: All domestic-builts up to D50 level will have plain dot inlays, and an upside down TRC on the headstock.
(Upside down TRC's are a frequent source of humor here because they're so common., :biggrin-new: , but the MIC trussrods are adjusted from inside the soundhole, thus no TRC)

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Fretboard inlays are immediate giveaway, before we even look at the pickguard..in fact that's not even called out correctly, it should be a D-140ce.
And to me, that immediately calls the seller's credibility into question.

FYI: All domestic-builts up to D50 level will have plain dot inlays, and an upside down TRC on the headstock.
(Upside down TRC's are a frequent source of humor here because they're so common., :biggrin-new: , but the MIC trussrods are adjusted from inside the soundhole, thus no TRC)

I sent the seller a friendly email and he corrected the listing and included a pic of the label (at my suggestion) to more clearly show the country of origin.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

MIC meaning made in China, of course. Still, if nobody bids on it, it seems like that would be a pretty good deal on an all-solid-wood Chinese-made Guild. It depends on where you are with the evolution of the guitar acquisition virus, which results in the famous syndrome. I got great deals on probably a dozen used Chinese-made Epiphones, and enjoyed every one of them.... before acquiring my American-made Guilds. Since then I've been selling Epiphones.

Neal

Reaction score
D-25 or D-35, or bust!

I played my D-25 yesterday, and my D-35 today. Both fine guitars, and both can be found for $500- $600 in playable shape. Beware of anything with a short saddle.

Maloburro

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info! Now I know I'm looking for a TRC. Still searching CL and any other deal finding website out here daily.

When you say beware of the short saddle, I presume it's because bridge bulge?

Last edited:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
When you say beware of the short saddle, I presume it's because bridge bulge?

Well, no, it usually means the string tension is slowly "collapsing" the guitar, so the saddle has to be shaved lower to keep the action at a reasonable height. This flattens the break angle at the saddle and loses a little vibe transfer to the soundboard. When the saddle can't be lowered anymore and the action is still high, a neck reset is apparently in order, which may cost around $300-400.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
If I'm guitar shopping, I travel with a 24" straightedge and check the neck angle per this page from frets.com. As Cougar says, shaved saddles (and even shaved bridges) are attempts to make the neck angle better without a neck reset.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hang tough. Wait for a decent D-25 (or a D-4, D-26, D-15, D-16, for that matter) to come along. I bought my D-25 from GC for $500. If it needs a bit of work it may still be worthwhile. You can use the need for repairs to drive the purchase price down. And remember that not all repairs are expensive.

Last edited: