Taylor LKSM

Reaction score
Just thought I'd ask here what folks think of the LKSM 12 string; I'm thinking of going for one, but thought I'd get some opinions from folks who aren't from the Taylor fold. I really like the Taylor 12 string necks (have a 455 now), but want something with more low-end than the 455. I have another Taylor I bought from a dealer with a trade-up policy, so I was thinking of trading my 6 string for the 12 (I've found I tend to reach for the 12 more than the 6). Thanks for any insight on this one.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Hey cj, I can't offer any info, but you can't argue with the endorsee. (sp?)

Leo Kottke Signature Model gets very good reviews at Harmony Central.

The price, to me, is high but then again you can get almost any Guild 12 string for that money, so I would hope that the reviews would be positive.

Sound wise I've only played a Taylor T5. I liked it, but again, for the price I can get a Guild that sounds at least as good.

Welcome to LTG, there will be others with more info arriving. Check the schedules. :shock:

Reaction score
Thanks. I priced an F512 a few weeks ago, and the LKSM I priced was about $400 more, give or take (the Taylor I would trade was about the same price as the Guild, so it would just be the extra I'd have to come up with).

Reaction score
Thanks - I was actually searching for that thread and couldn't find it for whatever reason.

I'd like to play an F512, but the local Guild dealer doesn't typically keep that type of animal. I really like the Taylor neck, and the playability of the 455 I have is very nice - just not enough bass to suit me. I've heard the Kottke model sounds different than any of the other Taylor 12s, even string light and at standard tuning. I was figuring tuning it down a full step and using mediums - not those heavies that come on it, and C#.

I appreciate the input, as I've discovered something when I bought the 455 used a short time ago: I really like the 12, and would prefer to grab it over the 6 string. That's why I'm kicking around the idea of trading up a fairly new Taylor 6 string for the LKSM - with a small wood upgrade. I've been lurking here for a while, and thought I'd ask the Guild 12 guys as Guilds have been the yardstick all other 12s are measured with. Sounds like the LKSM measures up fairly well, or at least as well as a Taylor can. :lol:

california

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
cjjtulsa said:

I appreciate the input, as I've discovered something when I bought the 455 used a short time ago: I really like the 12, and would prefer to grab it over the 6 string.

Funny how that can happen... most recent jams at home and with friends I find myself gravitating to the JF65-12, and when I go back to acoustic it is usually on my T5 through an acoustic amp.

Be a little carefull with the Taylor 12s, if you're looking for low end you're probably better off with a Guild, and specifically a jumbo (the Tayors have what is referred to as "balance", which to me reads as not as much bass). We're lucky where we live, there are several places where you can A/B the two. At the Guitar Center in Los Angeles I recently played an old F-212 vs. a custom Taylor 90 series 12 string costing 5 times as much, the Taylor couldn't compete. The Guild jumbo rosewood bodies have much more depth than Taylors with similar builds, and even though maple isn't a "deep" sounding wood, the resonance of the maple jumbos also outperforms the Taylors with much better calrity on the top end. As I mentioned above, like you I've been moving to my 12 string more often when playing with other guitars (it is the guitar that I'm bringing to Arlington), and even though it is maple, I play very ease so as not to dominate.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think the LKSM 12 string is a fairly specialized guitar, in that it is designed for heavier strings, and tuning down to C. More of a serious fingerstyle 12 string ala Leo Kottke, and it doesn't suit strumming as well, at least from what I have heard.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Took the words right out of my mouth Dave. Who am I to argue with Leo Kottke, but the problem is that all of my life, when it comes to 12's, very few people argue that Guild 12's are the best sounding and best built of all time. I know that I am biased, very biased, but that truly is an objective statement. Cal should be a pretty good judge, owning both brands.

If you like deep bass, just for kicks, try a JF55 12 or an F512, an awesome combination of super highs and that deep rosewood bass. Just give the Guilds a shot before you buy the Taylor. You might save some money too.

West

Reaction score
Thanks. That's part of the thing though; I won't lose anything on the Taylor GS I have as I can trade it to the selling dealer at the full price I paid towards the Kottke. If I sell it, I'll likely lose a couple of hundred for sure. I'm thinking the LKSM might be good for me (I play mostly fingerstyle, even on the 12), but I'm kicking around the idea of maybe a custom version with rosewood or something to add more to the bottom end. I like to have some balance, but lean towards the mid to low end. I don't want a "boomy" guitar, but don't want one that is nothing but highs either. My 455 isn't really that way, and there is some bass there, but not enough for my liking. I still want to play a Guild or two, but I can't imagine them having a nicer neck than the Taylors (don't shoot me!). Maybe one of these days I can end up with both an F512 and a Kottke. I've really fallen for the 12 string sound - playing my 6 string now sounds kind of thin and lacking. I'm ruined.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
If they're going to give you full value for the 455 on a trade, you're probably better going that route.

I don't know but I would think the LKSM would hold more resale value down the road????

Who knows, it may be exactly what you want. :D

Best of luck with it and keep us posted please, it would be interesting to hear about it.

Dr Izza Plumber

Reaction score
cjj,

I am a newbie to Taylor ownership, and this I can tell You..........the clarity of My 855ce is beyond any guitar that I've ever played. This guitar does have bass, though it's gentler in comparison to a Guild 12.

The Taylor has a completely different tone from any 12 string guitar that I've ever heard. Bodywise, the 855 has rosewood sides and back, with a mohogany neck. It is absolutely the easiest to play guitar in My collection.

Reaction score
Thanks. I bugged out and went with the mahogany - it was the direction I was headed in in the first place. I really like the sound of mahogany guitars, and I hope this one does the trick as well. If not, I might be sniffing around the rosewoods again.