What is it about Taylors?

G

Unregistered
User deleted by their request
About TAYLOR's ? Overall they are very well built guitars. However, I believe alot depends on where a NEW Taylor Guitar is Purchased. I liv in Cleveland and with THREE (3) GC's within approx 30miles (incl Akron) of ea other it's relatively easy to compare Taylor vs Martin (OUT-OF-THE BOX). Comparing a Taylor 815 vs Martin HD28 is a Toss-up depending on so many factors, although I might giv the WARMTH factor to Martin, I will say Taylor's play perfectly at all REGISTERS. Contrast that to an 815 Taylor I played at a very reputable SMALL-Time dealer in Clev Hts and it was darn near perfect! Unfortunately, Tacoma Guild's are not Stock at those Vendors and I'v only tried twO (2) Tacoma GUILDS D-55 (maybe D-50) within the last couple of years and I honestly cannot say they're any better, despite ave price tag incl case at approx 2K. Altjough, I HOLD most 70's Guild Acoustic's in the Highest regard, the Newer Tacoma Guild's are cool but are not the same. Getting back to Taylor's....your paying for Value and resale. I have yet to pick-up & play a TAylor that was a "DOG" (Thin sounding aside) and with the advent of CNC you can basically make CLONE acoustic guitars so its would be tough screw-up. One is essentially the same as the other, which makes Internet sales alot easier.

DennisMiller

Reaction score
As I have gotten older, it seems my tastes in tone have changed and I find myself exploring between the brighter Taylor tone and the boomy Martin tone. My brand new GAD jumbo fits between them nicely, though we'll see how it ages. It has a little boom to it when strummed, but still sounds sweet up the neck when I finger pick. This is not to mention the comfort of the neck, a little bit of eye candy and a knockout price. I know I've only had it 24 hours, but my first impression would be to say Guild is doing it better in China than anyone else I see.

As for Martin and Taylor, I feel they are two companies whose names have been made by their success at totally opposite ends of the spectrum.

Martin may innovate in terms of materials like the HPL guitars, but their basic marketing effort is to promote their link with history. (The goofy painted cowboy guitars and the aluminum top guitar aside)... I have a model DM, my signature model as we call it here because we share the same initials. I have always said Martin made a marketing error when they made the Road Series sound as much like their high end guitars as they did. With DM in hand, I have no desire for a D28 or other Martin model. If you read their website descriptions of their guitars, there is an awful lot of verbage about how this guitar or that guitar relates to some guitar that was an icon in history.

Taylor, on the other hand, never wanted to sound like Martin and has made their name on technical innovation, ease of play and consistant build quality. In as closely as is possible, a Taylor guitar anywhere in the country will sound like the same model guitar somewhere else in the country. It's an imperfect science, but as close to consistancy as can be made, Taylor does it.

Admittedly, I am partial to Taylor guitars in many ways, though from having had 5, I am down to 1 that I will have until my tastes change too much more to imagine it ever happening. (It's a 2002 version of the 410ce, dread, cutaway, ovankol/spruce with Fishman blender) If I could build a perfect guitar, it would have a lot of Taylor specs to it like the 1-3/4" nut width, their neck profile and the satin finish on that neck. Alas, it's about tone and I am willing to compromise a bit for tone in things like a different profile or lacquered neck, as long as the neck isn't so small that I cramp up after only a little time playing.

Someone commented about Gibson quality going down and price going up... all too true. I participate at the Gibson Forum and as blindly passionate as some people over there are, even they admit their disappointment in what is coming out with the Gibson name on it. Nashville production seems more or less OK, but it's confined to electric guitars. Montana production is suspect much of the time on the acoustics and the Memphis plant is considered a joke by many Gibson loyals who feel it is a tourist attraction, less so a real factory.

One of the names we haven't mentioned, who I think is making really good acoustic guitars at fair prices, is Larrivee. It's pretty hard to knock a Larrivee acoustic and some of them are just ridiculously wonderful for very little money compared to their material and design counterparts in the other lines.

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
I love the Taylor neck but that's about it.
I wish that I had a Taylor neck on my Guild 12 string.
The best of both worlds.
Taylor's are getting too expensive anymore.
I have also seen too many newer Taylor's that have cracked tops already.
They are a very delicate instrument and require more maintance than other brands.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Taylor Martin Guild said:
I
They are a very delicate instrument and require more maintance than other brands.

Urban legend.

baldgit

Reaction score
i have a taylor a guild and 2 martins thay are all really nice guitars ,different,but all nice. kinda like people take em one at a time im sure there are martins guilds and taylors out there somewhere that i wouldnt like thats why i played em all before buying and liked their sound and looks not just their labels

california

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guildmark said:
Yesterday, my luthier friend, Erv, and I drove to El Cajon (near San Diego) and met california there to take the free Taylor factory tour. It was good time, despite the rain. Driving home, Erv and I shared thoughts about what we'd seen. There were several things that struck us. First, there were not many many people in this factory! The tour guide (who has worked there 9 years) mentioned several times that Bob Taylor loves machinery. It looks like he has never met a machine he doesn't like. I know this mechanization and automation is one of the reasons Taylor has a great reputation for consistency in their quality. It is also a way to use the least amount of wood to make a fine instrument. The guide talked a lot about the declining availability of tonewood. The biggest concern to Taylor is sitka and the other spruce species for tops!! They have come up with several species for sides and backs and necks, but they are expecting a drastic shortage of top woods within 9 years.

This was a very coporate looking , modern, clean, unexceptional facility. What Erv and I took away from the automation of their factory is that each station was doing just an assembly line job that almost anyone could be trained to do. There are some jobs that can only be done by hand, and most of the guys doing those have been at it a few years. But we were both struck by the feeling that there was no real human craftsmanship in their process. Or very little, anyway. The repair and custom shops had very skilled people, but that was about it. For all that, they make a very fine instrument. We spent some time in the showroom by the lobby where several guitars were on display and available to play. The one that I was impressed with was the 210e. It was a sitka-topped, mahogany arch-back! What projection! Can you say Guild D-25!? The kicker was that the discounted showroom demo price was $799. I have the same issue with mahogany Taylors that some of you have mentioned - they sound tinny. This one didn't.

So, we had a good time, got a few souvenirs and a lot more insight into one of the prominent guitar manufacturers. Then I came back to play a Valentine's Day gig at the local coffee house. Nice day!

Very good assessment, Mark. The place really did seem devoid of people. I personally don't have a problem with some of the machines -- those cutting tops and sides, and the machines to bend the sides. I did feel kind of bad for the guy who frets the necks, it looked like a very boring job. I also thought it interesting that production had kind of halted because they were doing mantenance on the robot -- the guide's description -- that sprays the UV finish on the guitar. Overall, it was an interesting mix of handwork and machine work, but you can see as the years go by how, in the the general production area, the machines are winning. Having said that, I doubt that it is much different at any major guitar builder, including Guild. At least Taylor, Martin and Gibson have custom shops where they create unique instruments, you can't say that for our friends in Tacoma.

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Taylor Martin Guild said:
I love the Taylor neck but that's about it.
I wish that I had a Taylor neck on my Guild 12 string.
The best of both worlds.
Taylor's are getting too expensive anymore.
I have also seen too many newer Taylor's that have cracked tops already.

Just my 2 cents worth... I like Taylor necks because I have small hands and they are so easy to fret/play. I have two 355-12s and have never had to adjust the truss rods in either one. My 314 sure is pretty, but cantankerous; I rarely play it anymore.

Taylors are much lighter and seem fragile next to my Guilds.

Lastly, comparing my Taylor 12s against the Guild 12s is no contest. Other than the fact that the necks are definitely easier to play, they sound tinnier even next to my D4-12 which is an entry-level Guild 12. No comparison in sound or projection IMO; Guild wins...

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
TankIcon.jpg
TankIcon.jpg
TankIcon.jpg
TankIcon.jpg
TankIcon.jpg
TankIcon.jpg
TankIcon.jpg

gregsguitars

Reaction score
well unfortunately T*****s as well as most other newer guitars are made with GREEN WOOD....sorry ,couldn't help myself........and They will probably experience major growing pains in the next few years and will probably lose tone ,until the wood settles and they have a little age on them,but then again I could (pftttt) be wrong....

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Taylor, Martin - they build some nice guitars, no question. I've played a bunch of both types that I would love to own. But the fact of the matter is, I've never spent over $900 for a guitar, including my F-512. When I find a vintage Taylor or a Martin in my price range that sounds as nice and is built as well as my Guilds, I'll probably buy it. There are still a bunch of superb vintage Guild acoustics that can be had for well under 1,000 clams, so for me, Guild has the best bang for the buck. Definitely the working man's acoustic.

I also think this is worth mentioning again: of five friends of mine who have Taylors, all five have had top cracking problems. At least two of them are higher-end 800 series models. What's up with that?

Roman

Reaction score
I also think this is worth mentioning again: of five friends of mine who have Taylors, all five have had top cracking problems. At least two of them are higher-end 800 series models. What's up with that?

I suggest your friends properly maintain their guitars.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Roman said:
I suggest your friends properly maintain their guitars.
Well, that settles it for me; if I want to spend a lot of time worrying about top cracks, then I need a Taylor! CJ

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
dreadnut said:
Taylor, Martin - they build some nice guitars, no question. I've played a bunch of both types that I would love to own. But the fact of the matter is, I've never spent over $900 for a guitar, including my F-512. When I find a vintage Taylor or a Martin in my price range that sounds as nice and is built as well as my Guilds, I'll probably buy it. There are still a bunch of superb vintage Guild acoustics that can be had for well under 1,000 clams, so for me, Guild has the best bang for the buck. Definitely the working man's acoustic.

Michigan winters, dread, maybe?? Humidity is a big deal with these puppies, not that I think it's any worse than other solid wood guitars. I've sure learned my lesson, and not with Taylors either. ;)

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
My friend with an 814 has had the top replaced twice under warranty, which tells me it was Taylor's issue, not his. By the way, it's cracked again. Thanks, but no thanks, I'll steer clear of Taylors for this reason.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dread,

Not to defend Taylor (I don't think they need it :), but don't be so sure about Taylor's responsibility here. They are almost always accommodating in the customer service area, even if it is the customer's fault. They're tougher with dealers though, especially if the dealers aren't good about humidity control.

But, regardless, I can definitely understand why that's soured you on their guitars. And, your friend isn't the first to report cracking problems. The vast majority of folks, though (judging by infrequent negative reports on AGF), don't have these cracking issues.

I will say that, tone-wise, some Taylors are really wonderful sound machines (though I'm finding myself more attached to my Guilds). They really do have a "Taylor sound" with a very bright mid-range that can be very cool. My friend has a walnut bodied Grand Auditorium (xx4 series, like your friend), and I A/B'd it with my maple Grand Symphony and the family resemblance was striking!

Playability... absolutely top-notch (old or new Taylor style neck).

I guess the real answer to the original question is that Taylor really is the standard against which the aesthetics of other modern acoustics are measured. IMO, the beauty of their guitars is unique among the big manufacturers. I think I told you folks how I almost laughed when I first saw the Guild F512 on the wall of my music store. I'd gotten used to Taylors. They also offer a variety of tonewoods that never remains constant (which is either a good or bad thing, depending on your point of view).

Roman

Reaction score
Owning a few Guitars, including a couple of "high end" (if you will) Taylors, Guild, Larravée, Gibsons, etc. they are all in the same boat regarding humidy, temperature issues. Taylors are no more suseptable that any others.

I think because Taylor stresses the imprtance of maintaining a proper environment, people have (incorrectly) assumed that Taylors are more prone to this kind of damage than the rest.

Well, that's just not true.

I could go on, but for some "individuals" it's a waste of time. But, for the majority of you (experienced) folks you know what I'm talking about.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Roman said:
I think because Taylor stresses the imprtance of maintaining a proper environment, people have (incorrectly) assumed that Taylors are more prone to this kind of damage than the rest.
Hi Roman; it's also possible they've come to that conclusion because they've seen a number of split-top Taylors ... the same way 'people' have come to conclude that Guilds, with the application of the finish on the top before glueing down the bridge, have a tendency towards lifting bridges. It doesn't mean that Guilds are crappy guitars, it means the bridges have a tendency to lift. CJ

Roman

Reaction score
Not going to argue . . . I love my Guild :D . . . and Taylors, etc.

Keep on Pickn' . . . that's what counts.