Brazilian in Guilds ?

Reaction score
Paddlefoot said:
Man I want that smell in my guitar case. I have an old Martin that stunk so bad of cigarette smoke when I first got it I was afraid the smoke detector was gonna go off. I've tried everything I can think of to get rid of the smell but it just hangs on. I put rice in the guitar and shook it all around to get any dust or bug crud out. I put baking soda in to absorb the smell and let it sit for a week. Vaccuumed all that out and let it hang on the wall for 'bout a year while I was trying upholstry shampoo, baking soda, Febreeze and sitting open in the garage to get the stink out of the case. It's better but when you first open the case it still hits you with a wiff of Turkish latkia tobacco...strong stuff. Can't play anything but the blues on that guitar.

Wow, that's quite a story P'foot. Of course, if you go to sell a guitar like that, you'll have to go to a pawn shop.....

As for the smell, Perhaps you should try a couple pieces of Nicorette gum. One for you (while playing) and one down the sound hole of the git. :)

~nw

Paddlefoot

Reaction score
It's truly a seasoned performer. I don't see myself selling it because it sounds so good. I do wish it had that good ol' guitar smell that my Guild D-50 had. I even thought about putting it in a different case to see if the smell was mostly in the case. It's hard to imagine an environment so full of cigarette smoke that it would make this thing smell so strong. Sorry about the veer. All the talk of smelling Brazilian Rosewood just got to me I guess. Anyone got any more suggestions on how to get rid of the smell?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
marcellis said:
If I were to see it today & not know it is from 1971, I'd say Vietnamese Rosewood.
But it is EXTREMELY unlikely that Guild or anyone else was purchasing VN Rosewood
during the war years.

So knowing what I know - Brazilian. Just looking at it, Vietnamese Rosewood.

timber.jpg
WSEAJAsianRwJumbo.jpg
Seeing as how you were there, you oughta know! (I just read your D25 restoration thread again and was reminded of some of your "backstory" which I'd forgotten) But seriously, those bookends are gorgeous, where/when were those pictures taken?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
marcellis said:
What book-ends?

The D-25 restoration photos were taken in Saigon. (Ho Chi Minh City).
I meant the slabs on the right, they look like they've been "book-ended" for the backs of guitars, were they also taken during that time? I assumed you were giving us a visual on raw vietnamese rosewood?
Al

marcellis

Reaction score
Nah. I just grabbed some photos of VN Rosewood off the net.

Beautiful though, ain't it?

I have a hand-made Vietnamese guitar with Cambodian Rosewood B&S.
It looks and sounds a lot different than VN Rosewood.

I've never smelled it though.

grey_goose_cambodian_rosewood_back.jpg

Cedar top. Nice little cutaway.

grey_goose_front.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yeah I remember reading about that one but that's a great closeup. Can you tell a difference in the density of the woods, maybe explaining the sound differences?
Fantastic collection in the background. Luthier's shop or are they all yours? A couple of 'em look like rebabs or local versions thereof?
Personally I love the western asian music that wound its way from India to central europe and northern africa on the "romany trail", the stuff that became gypsy and flamenco music.

marcellis

Reaction score
That's the shop.

The woods you get over here are as good or better than the ones on name-brands.

I like the combination of Indian Rosewood or Cambodian Rosewood B&S & Cedar top.

I have a VN Rosewood Spruce top steel-string guitar in the States. I love it a lot.
But I love it for looks & feel more than sound.

I have two Cedar top/Rosewood (Indian & Cambodian) steel-stringed guitars. I LOVE the sound of
Cedar and Rosewood on steel-string guitars. The strum is just velvet. In fact, I prefer
the sound of those two Vietnamese guitars to my Guild D60 IR/Spruce dread. I'm a
Cedar top guy.

Reaction score
not sure if it has been mentioned yet or not, but the 50th anniversary d55's from 2003 had brazillian backs and sides

JimbowF212

Reaction score
I am Blessed to have two Brazilian Rosewood Martins. My own 1984 D-35V 20th anniversary model Limited Edition(only 50 of these were made)and my dad's old 1966 D-28. As far as I can tell, at least in Martin guitars, brazilian is far superior in tone, to my ears anyway, then the E. I. R. Martins I have played. Now I haven't played a Guild guitar in several years, no one close to where I live stocks any of them???!!!, so I can't comment on the difference with Guild guitars made of the different Rosewoods but, I can say that I don't recall having ever heard or played a bad sounding Guild, I have come across bad sounding Martins, and try as I may I cannot find a Taylor or Gibson that I like the tone of and I have only seen one Yamaha that had a good sound to me. If it don't say Martin or Guild on it, it ain't worth my attention. JMHO though. BTW do any of y'all live in KY????
Jim

Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry Dave but I think you can forget it! I mean a very well organized company like Martin has a 'more or less' official cut-off date for the use of Brazilian rosewood and so far we've see many exceptions to that rule.
Guild started using East Indian Rosewood as early as 1963 and you'll find both Brazilian and East Indian on Guild guitars up till the end of the '60s and into the very early '70s, sometimes even mixed on the same instrument. Brazilian is pretty rare though after 1971 but occasionally you will find one that has it.
During the first half of the '70s Guild used a lot of Indian rosewood with unusual wild looking grain, or I should say wilder-looking grain than the straight grain material we normally associate with East Indian rosewood. People often take that for Brazilian, which it is not.
As far as fingerboards and bridges is concerned, you will find Brazilian rosewood used for that up to the end of the '70s. Again there doesn't seem to be a fixed date because the different species were both used all through the '70s. I do not know if Guild just had a big stock or that the supplier of the woods or parts still offered it at that time.
When the Westerly plant closed in 2001, there was still a box with Brazilian rosewood bridges in the repair department.
I was able to get some and I assume some of the other Westerly gang members got some as well.
Some of these bridges look really nice. If I can find the time I will make a picture later!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl
Here’s my 1970 which I’ve been told many times is Brazilian but as you say, there seems to be no definitive way to tell..mine smells sweet too

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    626.3 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    501.8 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    560.7 KB · Views: 96

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I know you can't tell anything definitive from a visual inspection, but ...

This 1967 D50 is being listed near me as Brazilian. What do you think?
67D50back.jpg

Br1ck

Reaction score
It must be eight or more years ago now that I was able to source my BRW bridge from Hans Moust. It could be one of the bridges from his picture at the beginning of this old thread. Anyway, at the time I was thrilled to get it as my original D 35 bridge had been shaved beyond hope. I know I blew my luthier's mind when I took it to him and told him it came from the Netherlands.

Tony Burns

Reaction score
I have a '71 D-55 , and I believe it is a mix of Brazilian and EIR ( sides dont match ), but the luthier who worked on my action told me , its
very difficult to determine - and he wouldnt take a guess ( which i understand ) my bridge is BR on that D-55 as well as my '78 D-25 .

Br1ck

Reaction score
I have played a half dozen mostly Martin Brazilian rosewood guitars, and only two of them were special, mostly I think because the good ones come up for sale infrequently. But a straight braced D 28 from the mid sixties is the perfect guitar for me if it's a good one. I think I payed a mixed wood D 55 once. It was like all D 55s, a great sounding guitar. But it can be aesthetically jarring to have that contrast. I've never played a BRW Guild dread.