Reaction score
Re: Very rudimentary S-100 owners roster

danerectal said:
I'm a cool kid? Neato. 8)

Yeah. Do I get a special name for having two carved S-100's? :lol:

Thunderface

Reaction score

Considering how many people would give their strumming arm for just one, I can think of a few special names people might have for you. :lol: Forwarded, of course, with all due respect and affection.

Qvart

Reaction score

Thunderface said:
Considering how many people would give their strumming arm for just one, I can think of a few special names people might have for you. :lol: Forwarded, of course, with all due respect and affection.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And our hearts bleed for you having to put up with your awful collection of gits. ;)

Thunderface

Reaction score

Qvart said:
And our hearts bleed for you having to put up with your awful collection of gits. ;)

Thanks for recognizing my pain. :roll:

Although I do like the carveds, I don't really have a desire to own one. Of course, that would likely change if one ever popped up at a great price.

son_of_gloin

Reaction score

DSC01730.jpg

DSC01726.jpg

Well it took 17 years of lusting after one of these S-100's after seeing Mr. Thayil play live in Saskatoon. To this day i remember the sound of him freakin' out on his white guild at the end of the concert and walking off stage with his S-100 laying on the stage sustaining for like 10 minutes. I've played many re-issues and sg's but I knew deep down, they didn't sound as good as the originals.

Here's the story:
The other day my buddy tells me of a distant in-law of his who says he has an old guild he wants to get rid of that is a copy of a 335. So, I bone up on my Starfire knowledge, not all that interested as semi's aren't my bag and drive out to this little one horse town. Well, i walk into his machine shop and lo and behold sitting in the corner is the Guild i've wanted my whole life. Hasn't been played in 30 years or so after the owner had an accident with a bandsaw in the late 70's. So there it sat, collecting grime and dust.

His only stipulation with selling it to me was that I don't re-sell it and that it stays in the area.
Oh yeah, it'll stay in the area. I'll be buried with it.
Move over Lester!!

Thunderface

Reaction score

What a guitar! What a story! That might by the score of a lifetime,. Congratulations to the highest order. What's the serial on that bad boy? Judging from the tremolo, I'm guessing a 1970?

son_of_gloin

Reaction score

Yeah, the serial# dates it to '71, and i've seen those old 1971 Guild ads that show the guitar with the trem, no phase switch, and open tuners. But i'm wondering based on some other owner's '71's that it's maybe a late 1970. Some pics of 71's show the stopbar tail piece and phase switch. #53071. Must be a late 1970 model.

The fellow i bought her from was the original owner, played for a country band called The Barnstormers. He bought it in 73, from Long and Mcquade in Winnipeg. He remembers it being a store demo that they never got rid of and basically gave it to him for a fiddle he traded in.

Any of you guys know if guild put the build stickers on the inside of the component cover in 70 or 71. If so, that's the only thing that's missing, that and one of the caps was replaced. Not sure which one is original.

Qvart

Reaction score

They didn't put labels inside the control cavity until '73 (I think).

Thunderface

Reaction score

That is such a cool story. Aren't you so glad you took that drive now?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

son_of_gloin said:
Any of you guys know if guild put the build stickers on the inside of the component cover in 70 or 71.
I am the original owner of my '71 JS II bass. it does not have a label in the control cavity. Hans Moust says that is to be expected for the early issues so the label showed up in late '71 or after. I believe the same thing is true for the S-100's of similar vintage.

son_of_gloin

Reaction score

Thanks for the info lads. I noticed on the chart that you've made there is a colour code for Sunburst. That's got to be rare.

Well, i've got mine all set now playing nice. We're jamming this afternoon, can't wait.

Thunderface

Reaction score

Welcome to the club. Give us a report on how the jamming goes.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

son_of_gloin said:
Thanks for the info lads. I noticed on the chart that you've made there is a colour code for Sunburst. That's got to be rare.

Well, i've got mine all set now playing nice. We're jamming this afternoon, can't wait.

Cherry sunburst JS bass on eBay here although the link will most likely be useless in a couple of months. But 'burst on a bass is pretty rare in the JS line so that is probably the case with the corresponding guitars as well.

kakerlak

Reaction score

son_of_gloin said:
Yeah, the serial# dates it to '71, and i've seen those old 1971 Guild ads that show the guitar with the trem, no phase switch, and open tuners. But i'm wondering based on some other owner's '71's that it's maybe a late 1970. Some pics of 71's show the stopbar tail piece and phase switch. #53071. Must be a late 1970 model.

The fellow i bought her from was the original owner, played for a country band called The Barnstormers. He bought it in 73, from Long and Mcquade in Winnipeg. He remembers it being a store demo that they never got rid of and basically gave it to him for a fiddle he traded in.

Any of you guys know if guild put the build stickers on the inside of the component cover in 70 or 71. If so, that's the only thing that's missing, that and one of the caps was replaced. Not sure which one is original.

Interesting guitar! I also have a '71, but the S/N is a bit higher than yours (mine's 59234).

PICT1481.jpg

PICT1477.jpg

PICT1478.jpg

PICT1479.jpg

Mine had the same open back Grover Sta-Tites with the square buttons, but mine were so shot I replaced them w/ repros and stuck the old ones in the case. Yours has the metal truss rod cover where mine has the newer style plastic one. On the other hand, mine has the old-style pickguard logo (w/ the starburst) and yours has the 70s style script logo. I will say, though that I've never seen one like yours, with the pinstripe box around the "Guild" text.

And, of course, mine has the phase switch.

Also, I think the Hagstrom vibrato and bridge and the Muller bridge/stop tailpiece combo (as on mine) were alternative options for a while, then the vibrato models switched to Bigsby tailpieces.

In the end, the sense I get is that '70-71 was a time that a lot of parts were changing at Guild and that a lot of guitars got built around then with different combinations of hardware while things were being used up and may have left the factory later than their S/Ns suggest sometimes, too. Yours is a really neat one, though.

BTW, mine doesn't have a label on the control cover either, I think the folks here are correct in saying that started around '73 or so...

Qvart

Reaction score

Like we ever believed you. :lol:

TF.png