GUILD F212

frettedstrings

Reaction score
IT'S HERE !!!! IT'S HERE !!!!! IT'S HERE !!!! (And Yes, My Socks Are Off)

You would not believe the clear sound of this 43 year old musical instrument.

100_5146.jpg

100_5153.jpg

100_5147.jpg

100_5145.jpg

100_5150.jpg

100_5148.jpg

100_5151.jpg

100_5152.jpg

New GHS Silk and Bronze Strings are a must, even though the guitar plays very well right now with the strings that came on the guitar.
There are barely any marks or scratches. The back is crack free. The action is very low (where I like it).
The original owner replaced the original tuners with Grover Tuners. Unfortunately, he didn't do a very good job in installing them, but they work fine and the guitar sounds awesome.

frettedstrings

Reaction score
Guitar Center (Boston) had $599 on it in the store. I put it on lay-a-way for a couple of weeks. After I put down the last payment, the salesman said that the price was $585.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
frettedstrings said:
Oh, We believe you!
And what a steal.....
GC is clueless on Guild values, good for you!

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Dang, FS. Considering the looks of that beauty; you should go back down there and give 'em that other $14 and a big ole wet one on the forehead... :roll: :D :mrgreen:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
frettedstrings said:
Wanna bet? :lol:
Kidding aside, WOWO!
Just a detail question here: I don't see any position markers in the neck, are there any in the side of the fretboard?
Don't bother answering 'til you're done with the honeymoon... :D

frettedstrings

Reaction score
Adorshki,

You are right. There are no fret markings (dots) on the fretboard. There are dots on the side of the fretboard/neck. The fretboard looks to be in really good condition. Either the owner didn't play this guitar much, which would explain the fact that I cannot find any marks on the fret board from years of chording the same chords or playing the same scales. Maybe the fretboard was refinished.

There was a name and address printed on some tape fixed to the case. I would assume that this name and address of the owner who sold it to GC. I was thinking sending a letter to this address explaining that I am the new owner of the guitar and maybe I could inquire about a some history of this particular guitar. Of course, I'll post any response here on LTG.

-Tim

frettedstrings

Reaction score
My 1967 Guild F 212 has Grover Tuning Machines. I know that these are not the original tuning machines. The Original Owner must have installed these sometime over the past 43 years. Unfortunately, he really didn't do a very good job installing them. I'd like to find a set of tuners that would most likely match the original set that would have come on the guitar back in '67. Any ideas were I might find something like this?

OriginalTunersona1967GuildF212.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
frettedstrings said:
The fretboard looks to be in really good condition. Either the owner didn't play this guitar much, which would explain the fact that I cannot find any marks on the fret board from years of chording the same chords or playing the same scales. Maybe the fretboard was refinished.
Either way that's nice for you. :D

frettedstrings said:
There was a name and address printed on some tape fixed to the case. I would assume that this name and address of the owner who sold it to GC. I was thinking sending a letter to this address explaining that I am the new owner of the guitar and maybe I could inquire about a some history of this particular guitar. Of course, I'll post any response here on LTG.
-Tim
Many of us feel that having some knowledge of the history of an instrument increases its value, at least for the current owner. While I think whether or not you share that info is a personal decision, it may also help others looking for similar instruments by showing them an example with known "repairs". (I don't really consider a fret job a "repair" as much as "periodic maintenance")

frettedstrings

Reaction score
I was starting to write a letter to the original owner, (or a least the man that sold the '67 F212 to GC) and then the thought came that maybe this man had to sell his guitar off in order to pay bills (considering this great economy that we are all dealing with). The guitar is in really great shape and I would have had a hard time parting with it, myself. I thought maybe writing a letter might dump more salt into already open wounds and then maybe I think too much !

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
frettedstrings said:
My 1967 Guild F 212 has Grover Tuning Machines. I know that these are not the original tuning machines ... 'd like to find a set of tuners that would most likely match the original set that would have come on the guitar back in '67. Any ideas were I might find something like this?
Hi FS; nothing in the aftermarket is a close match. That guitar was originally equipped with one of two types of strip tuners ... this is an LTG thread discussing strip tuners on '65-'67 F212s. Our member dapmdave has a set of '66 tuners ... you might try contacting him. Sweet guitar 8)

Reaction score
I realize that this is an old thread but I came across it and thought I would add my two-cents worth about replacing the tuners and some other stuff.

I also have a 1967 Guild F212. I got it in a trade in 1970 or 1971. After playing it for a few years, it was stored in a closet for decades and forgotten except for the times my teenage son played it. Ouch! He didn't treat it well and when I finally dug it out and decided to restore it, it needed some serious work. I should mention that I used to build and restore classic period furniture so I am a very experienced woodworker. The headstock was cracked through a few tuners and the Guild headstock veneer was in such bad shape that I removed it. I fixed the cracked head so that it was stronger than new and it is virtually impossible to tell it was ever repaired. I made a new headstock veneer from a blank. I fixed a crack in the back, re-glued a couple braces and I made a new pick guard. With that all done, I stripped the guitar and finished it with many coats of oil using a special process and special mixture of oils that I developed years ago. The guitar came out absolutely beautiful and the top turned a deep rich golden brown from the oil. However, when I strung it up, I realized that the kneck needed to be re-set so I took it to a well-known luthier in my area and he re-set the kneck and did such a fine job that the finish was perfect near the joint and needed no touch-up at all.

As for the tuners, I replaced the orlginal line tuners with Mini Grovers and am glad I did. They are much better tuners than the cheap original line tuners with plastic knobs. They look much better too. The only reason I can understand anyone wanting to replace Grovers with the inferior original tuners is to make the guitar exactly as it came from the factory. I have never understood such logic although I do understand that the value can be greater for some collectors if everything is original (even if it really isn't when parts are replaced with identical parts). If the guitar was an extremely rare and valuable guitar, I could see such concern but not with a nice playing but not extremely valuable or rare guitar like an F212. I am much more interested in functionality and the Grovers (or similar) tuners are simply much better.

That's just my opinion but if I happend to get another Guild F212 with the factory line tuners, the first thing I would do is replace them with Grover Mini-Tuners or similar tuners. It's a big improvement and they look much better. Do you want a guitar that is functionally better and looks better or do you want a guitar of lower overall quality but MIGHT sell for a few bucks more someday to a collector? If I was buying and F212 and had a choice between one with original tuners and one with better tuners, I would pay more for the latter.

I would never even think of replacing the Grovers with the originals. Not for a second. After all, the Grovers are an improvement. The originals were cheaply made and inferior.