Guild S-284 (I think...)

Reaction score
Hey folks, new member here. I've been wanting to post this for some time now, but for whatever reason never had the chance until now.

I bought this Guild new in the summer of '84, from a place called "Focus II" in NY. At the time I was looking at Charvels, but they were out of my price range. Anyway, the had a couple of these in various 80's paint jobs; wild colors, graphics, etc... Then they showed me this, which was behind the counter, and I fell in love. Bought it, and she was my main axe for about 5 years.

Fast forward to current day, and she's been sitting in the case, un-strung and rusting for a few years now. I've been thinking alot about her, so I decided to see what I could do to fix her up. Had to replace some parts on the Kahler, polished up the frets, cleaned up the fretboard, now all she needs is a set up.

OK, finally, here are some pics:

g7.jpg

g2.jpg

g3.jpg

g10.jpg

g5.jpg

I can't wait to get her set up and going. Pickups are EMG-81 & EMG-58, which I never knew until I had her in pieces the other night. I'll report back once she's playable... should be FUN!

-K

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yep! That's an S-284 Aviator. They came in a few different styles. Mine is the pickguard "Superstrat" version;

100_6344.jpg

I haven't a clue as to what the pick-ups are. :oops:

Your flamed maple is killer! Is it heavy?

Hans might like to know the serial number for his database. I believe he's on the road, but he might be checking in later.

And oh yeah, welcome!

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
According the the literature that I have, the S-285 was more then just the flame maple body. It had a bound fretboard and headstock with the sunrise fret markers. (Bottom of description)

GuilsS-284.jpg

These appointments can also be see on the Liberator Elite like this;

100_6472.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcomes...

You know, I never knew the model number when I bouught it. It's only recent times that I've done research tryng to determine what model it is. S-284 seems to be right, as it doesn't match the 285 description. However, reading the literature noted, it's pickup config doesn't match what's there either. (2 Hums vs. H-S-S or S-S-S). Doesn't have an ebony fretboard either...Weird.

The axe isn't heavy at all. I don't have the exact weight, but when I get it back from the shop I'll weigh it. It's a LOT lighter than an all maple Charvel that I have.

BTW- The serial # is H0100118.

I've only ever seen one other maple Guild like this, and that was more quilt than flame. I've curious if any of you guys have seen any others?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's my kinda guitar right there! Glad you've brought her back to life!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
kennslp said:
I bought this Guild new in the summer of '84, from a place called "Focus II" in NY. At the time I was looking at Charvels, but they were out of my price range. Anyway, the had a couple of these in various 80's paint jobs; wild colors, graphics, etc... Then they showed me this, which was behind the counter, and I fell in love. Bought it, and she was my main axe for about 5 years.

Hello kennslp,

Welcome! What you have is indeed an S-284. You're probably mistaken about the date that you bought the guitar. According to what I have in my database, your guitar was made early 1985, so it's possible that you did get it during the summer of 1985. Summer of 1984 would be too early.

kennslp said:
However, reading the literature noted, it's pickup config doesn't match what's there either. (2 Hums vs. H-S-S or S-S-S). Doesn't have an ebony fretboard either...Weird.

The double EMG-humbucker pickup configuration was one of the many options that were available during that particular period. Actually, the flame maple body was an option as well.
The rosewood fingerboard was standard during the first years that the model was produced.

kennslp said:
BTW- The serial # is H0100118.

That must be HG100118. The G may look like an O.

kennslp said:
I've only ever seen one other maple Guild like this, and that was more quilt than flame. I've curious if any of you guys have seen any others?

Most of the S-284s in my database have a solid color, but the optional maple bodies usually have transparent finishes, which would make sense if you were producing an instrument with attractive looking woods.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

Reaction score
Hans - Thanks for the info! You're right, it was 1985. My "whammy bar" inspiration at the time was Steve Lynch of Autograph, and their first album was released in October 84, so I couldn't have bought it the summer before... old age is getting to me...lol.

And you're right on the serial as well, first two digits are HG.

I'll be picking her up tomorrow from the shop. I can't wait!

-K

Hammer

Reaction score
The Guilds of Grot said:
Hey, I finally posted some information without being corrected by Hans!

Woo-Hoo! :lol:

Did you finally snatch the pebble? :shock:

kungfusnatchthepebble.jpg

:lol:

dane

Reaction score
Welcome to the land of Guild kennslp. That S-284 is sharp! :mrgreen:

tonepoet

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome and congrats. My S-284 looks like its twin. Same solid maple body, same color, same pups.

Have fun,
tonepoet

stclrob

Reaction score
The Guilds of Grot said:
These appointments can also be see on the Liberator Elite like this;

100_6472.jpg
:shock: That's hot. Needs some B Gb B E Ab Db thrash treatment.

kennslp said:
g7.jpg

I can't wait to get her set up and going. Pickups are EMG-81 & EMG-58, which I never knew until I had her in pieces the other night. I'll report back once she's playable... should be FUN!

-K

Awesome burst. EMGs + Laney distortion, that sounds like a good combo. How's the neck? Fast?

F312

Reaction score
I sold one of my S-284 Aviators which leaves me with two but working with someone who has one for sale. These are great guitars, All the one's I have seen, all the screws on the pick guards, pickups etc. are rough looking. Maybe they were not treated. I'm thinking maybe this is the look Guild wanted. Being an Aviator, like the look of something wheathered (disstressed) but that look was not popular back then on guitars as it is today. What are your thoughts on this subject. f312

Reaction score
tonepoet said:
Welcome and congrats. My S-284 looks like its twin. Same solid maple body, same color, same pups.

Have fun,
tonepoet

Do you have any pictures you can post? I'm really curious to see another one!

-K

Accept2

Reaction score
I have 4 of these. When Guild tried to make shred guitars in the 80s, most of them had the look, but nothing else going for them. The S284 and a few others had the total package, and its too bad they didnt truely understand the market back then.........