D46 Ash Mystery

Reaction score
I have a D46-BLD (in Ash of course) that has a mystery serial #. The folks at Fender don't have anything on it and it's not in any of the Guild databases that I can find. The guitar was a gift to me in either 1983 or 1984 (CRS disease) and so I really don't know anything about it. The serial number is DL100913... which as you will note is in the 900s when all listed Guild S/Ns for the D46 end in the 800s.

I've been told it could be a very limited edition that never went into general production but then that makes me kind of wonder what it was doing in a guitar shop in NJ and why Guild/Fender wouldn't have a record of it. There really isn't anything different about it from other Ash D46's that I've seen that I can tell - in fact it's pretty plain. Great rich tone, great bass notes, loud even un-amped, plain fret inlay, heavy enough to use as a weapon if necessary :lol:

So, if anyone out there has any ideas - I'm all ears.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
CAS56 said:
I have a D46-BLD (in Ash of course) that has a mystery serial #. The folks at Fender don't have anything on it and it's not in any of the Guild databases that I can find. The guitar was a gift to me in either 1983 or 1984 (CRS disease) and so I really don't know anything about it. The serial number is DL100913... which as you will note is in the 900s when all listed Guild S/Ns for the D46 end in the 800s.

I've been told it could be a very limited edition that never went into general production but then that makes me kind of wonder what it was doing in a guitar shop in NJ and why Guild/Fender wouldn't have a record of it.

Hello CAS56,

Welcome! Since you're kind of new on this forum there's something you should know. Fender owns Guild since 1995 and they have hardly anything in their files about stuff that happened before 1995, basically because over the years the Guild company had not kept very accurate records to begin with.
I can also tell you that all the available serial number information that you can find on the various internet websites, are all based on the lousy records that were kept by Guild and consequently the information is incomplete, very often wrong and there are many omissions.

That doesn't mean that reliable info is not available. Here's what I can tell you right now:

Guild made quite a few D-46s more than the ones that are listed on the 'official' serial number lists and for a longer period. Your D-46-Bld. with serial # DL100913 was made during 1985. That means that you must have gotten it at least a year later than you initially thought.

There should be an ink-stamped date on one of the beveled edges of the neck block, which should be visible through the soundhole. This is not the manufacturing date but the date that the rim was completed in the 'body shop'. This date typically pre-dates the completion date of the instrument by a couple of months, but it can be more depending on the popularity of the model. I would think that the neck block date in your guitar should be around April or May 1985, but I could be off. Maybe you could let us know what the complete date is!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Cas56,
Welcome to LTG from another D-46 aficianado! Mine's an '81, with the ~2" rosewood back strip found on some of the early 46s... and I agree with everything you said about yours.

In addition to the date stamp on the neck block Hans mentioned, mine also has a date stamp on one of the thin braces next to the sound hole (most of my Guilds have a stamp on one of the sound hole braces, but not all have a legible neck block date)... fairly easy to find/read with an inspection mirror. I gather this is the date the top assembly was completed... and the neckblock/sound hole dates on my 46 differ by a week or two (as I recall, they are both in Dec 1980, which fits with the early 81 SN for my D-46).
Dave

dane

Reaction score
Hey Cas56,

First of all welcome to the forum. You have a great guitar! I should know; I have the exact same guitar. In fact mine was built right after yours, serial # DL100914.
Hans is correct on the year and the month judging by mine which was completed on May 29 1985. I bought mine new in St. Petersburg Florida. One serial number difference and they ended up on opposite ends of the east coast.
These guitars were in general production from 1980 to 1985, (although I find a big hole in 1982). I think it’s safe to say that you and I have a couple of the last ones made.
Is the D-46 a rare guitar? Not really. You see one pop up for sale once in a while. I think the word uncommon would be a better description. I wonder if Hans could give us an idea of how many were actually produced total? My guess would be around 1000, but that’s only a guess. :?
Also if memory serves me correctly, there is a small difference between early and late models. On the back of the body where Guild book matched the wood, the early models had rosewood strip where as the later ones used a decorative tape like stripe to hide the seam.
I hope this helped some and enjoy the D-46.

Dane
:D

dane

Reaction score
GardMan said:
Cas56,
Welcome to LTG from another D-46 aficianado! Mine's an '81, with the ~2" rosewood back strip found on some of the early 46s...Dave
Well there you go! My memory worked for once. I think I need a nap now. It plumb took it right out of me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Appreciate the info & help! No dating on the neck block and can't see anything on the sound hole braces but will dig up a mirror and see if I can turn up anything. No rosewood strip down the middle of the body but it does have the decorative tape down the middle. OK, 1985 - so was either September birthday or Christmas present. I can't remember anything anymore. The curiosity started because the bridge came up and I had some work done on it to get it fixed and set up right. Figured I'd see what I could find out. Once I can see if there's anything on the sound hole braces I'll post back. Thanks again!

curt

Reaction score
These are great guitars, I love mine!
guild1.jpg

guild2.jpg

Reaction score
Found it! A mirror (imagine a girl without a mirror...) and a date stamp. Inside the sound hole -- looks like May - Something - 1985. Might be 04, can't really tell it's very, very blurry and completely illegible. It is 2 digits though so not sure whether they'd have used 04 or just 4. Once I figure out how to load a photo I'll post them.

tjmangum

Reaction score
curt said:
These are great guitars, I love mine!
guild1.jpg

guild2.jpg
Great picture with the wood floor. Here's mine that I rescued from the ceiling of a GC: I believe it's an 81 S# DL 100112
d46back.jpg

dane

Reaction score
Here is a late model (1985) for comparison of the back.
Guild008.jpg

Guild009.jpg

Guild010.jpg

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
tjmangum said:
I believe it's an 81 S# DL 100112
TJ, that SN would be second half of '80, I believe.

With everyone else posting pics... here's mine:
89749496.jpg

89749505.jpg

Dave

tjmangum

Reaction score
hansmoust said:
Guild made quite a few D-46s more than the ones that are listed on the 'official' serial number lists and for a longer period.
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

Any other LTG-ers who have one of these fine guitars? What was the old cigarette commercial, "Show Us Your Larks" (Which Carlin had some classic lines about) - Heck, show us your D 46's!
Terry

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Mine was referenced earlier in the thread but here's some better photos.

100_6422.jpg

100_6424.jpg

And yes that is a volume knob on the bass shoulder as it has factory electronics.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
D-46 envy over here! The ash wood really pops.

Are the necks ash also? Doesn't look like mahogany or maple in any of these pictures. I wonder if this is the only Guild acoustic with a neck like that.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Chazmo said:
Are the necks ash also? Doesn't look like mahogany or maple in any of these pictures. I wonder if this is the only Guild acoustic with a neck like that.
Good eye! Good Question! HANS?!?!

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
adorshki said:
Chazmo said:
Good eye! Good Question! HANS?!?!

I'm not Hans, but yes, the necks are also ash. I think the older ones with rosewood centerpieces are the only 3-piece backs on a Guild acoustic... if you want to call it that.
Dave