What is a D46?

ladytexan

Reaction score
Saw a post on another guitar board that listed a D46 in the signature. Can anyone tell me about this model? Pictures?

I'm still learning about the models and this one has me stumped.

Thanks,

Toni

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if its a D4G, as in gloss....just guessing...the labels were hand written with the models, so sometimes a little uncertainty exists... hang in Toni....you're already in the honey pot of Guildomsphere.... :lol: Steffan

Qvart

Reaction score
ladytexan said:
Saw a post on another guitar board that listed a D46 in the signature. Can anyone tell me about this model? Pictures?

I'm still learning about the models and this one has me stumped.

Thanks,

Toni

Ash and spruce.

Checkit.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello Toni,

As Qvart said the D-46 has a spruce top, ash neck, back and sides.

Here's a couple of pix of mine.

100_6422.jpg

100_6424.jpg

There are also models with a three piece back with a strip of either mahogany or rosewood. (I forget which!)

Now you only have about 399 models left to learn! :wink:

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
You have now entered into the Guild honeypot....told you.... :lol: :lol: Steffan

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
As already mentioned, the D-46 has a spruce top, with ash back and sides. Early models (like mine) had a ~2" back centerpiece of rosewood:
89749505.jpg

They have a great balanced tone, with sparkling trebles, strong mids, and surprisingly strong bass. Imagine a cross between maple or mahogany and rosewood, if you can...

Highly recommended!

ladytexan

Reaction score
Wowweeeee! They are beautiful guitars. I've never played (or perhaps heard) an ash b/s guitar. Being a Guild & a dread, it must have an outstanding sound.

Any clips, Guys?

Thanks for the pictures...again, just drop-dead gorgeous guitars.

Toni

jte

Reaction score
Of all the guitars I sold (I managed a guitar store from 1977-1988) my favorite acoustics were the D-44 with ash bodies. Simply wonderful balanced guitars. Ah... wish I could have justified buying one then.

John

Sats

Reaction score
Guild Total
Toni,
The D46 is a wonderful guitar! I definitely concur with Gardman's insight: a very strong and balanced tone (the unique attributes of the ash back, sides and neck). They don't come up that often, and the prices vary, but they're out there, and can be had a reasonable price (sometimes). Go get one!
John

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Toni,
D-46s pop up on eBay a couple times a year (maybe 2-4/yr?). In the last 5 years of watching, I have seen maybe a dozen D-46s sell from $600 to a shade over $1000 (as I recall, someone in LTG found one at a pawn shop for even less). At ~$950, mine was at the high end of that range... but it's worth every penny. GBase and shop prices tend to be a little higher.

My '81 D-46 has some minor finish checking, and some dings here and there, but is structurally and sonically "sound." I'd say VG condition. Backs with the rosewood centerpiece (as on mine) are a little rarer... dating from 1980 into early '81. Mine has 1980 dates on the neckblock and a top brace, but the SN date is from the first part of 1981. By late '81, backs were two piece ash with a marquetry strip centerline. I think D-46 production ended ~'85.

Haven't seen one on the 'Bay for a while... but with patience, good ones can be found.

Sats

Reaction score
Guild Total
Michael,
You do a fine service to the guitar! You sound great!!! Very cool video too (Indra Afia is a knockout). Your post is also an accurate testament to the sound of a D46. It's just very... robust: it punches out a very articulate sound across the register. I got mine for $600 (lucked out). Toni, as with all things e-bay, it just depends on the day and the seller (obviously). Something sells for big bucks, and then a week later nobody's interested. So, if you're inclined, just keep monitoring and eventually you'll find one at the right price...
John

ladytexan

Reaction score
Thanks, Everyone, for all of the great info. Michael, your D46 sounds amazing! Love the vid!

I have found a D46 in "mint" condition for $2100. It has the rosewood insert for the three-pieced back. Problem is the seller...a little flakey and the SN doesn't add up. He said the SN is DL100659 - which is the right time frame for the three-pieced back, but, according to "date your guild", production SN's ended with DL100622. Then, N/A (1982) and jumps to DL100784 (1983). Could this be a legit D46?

I haven't seen any detailed pictures. Just a group shot of other guitars he has for sale.

Asking price is way over what I would consider........

Again, thanks for the valuable D46 info....great pictures....and sound clips.....LTGers are the BEST! :)

Toni

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
ladytexan said:
I have found a D46 in "mint" condition for $2100. It has the rosewood insert for the three-pieced back. Problem is the seller...a little flakey and the SN doesn't add up. He said the SN is DL100659 - which is the right time frame for the three-pieced back, but, according to "date your guild", production SN's ended with DL100622. Then, N/A (1982) and jumps to DL100784 (1983). Could this be a legit D46?

Hello Toni,

Forget about the serial number lists that you can find on line.

Serial # DL100659 would be a D-46 from 1982 but that would be too late for the 3-pc. back with the rosewood center panel. I'm not saying it's impossible but I would be surprised if it has the rosewood center panel in combination with that serial number.

Maybe it's ser. # DL100059. A 'zero' could easily be mistaken for a 'six'.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl