F412 Blonde new vs original

Reaction score
Have an F50, looking at the f412 blonde, have heard original versions in past and liked them. Anyone know how the 'new' ones compare? I am not interested in laminated arched backs, sort really want a solid piece of wood (maple) back there, are the new ones two piece laminated unlike the original?

I sort of also recall a maple (not spruce) fronted one they made at least on custom order (orderable on the order sheet, anyway) but that memory is old - is it correct or misremembering just the spruce top maple sides and back?

Thanks

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG!
Here's the spec of the current model, "Select Arched Laminated Figured Maple Back":
http://www.guildguitars.com/instruments ... Contained4

Looks like one piece to me:

3852500801_alt_wlg_003.jpg

Craig just bought one, read here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32041

Ralf

idealassets

Reaction score
Craig just bought one, read here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32041
I bought mine used, its a 2010 from New Hartford. I believe the New Hartford F412's are truly a wonderful guitar.

Owning an older Guild makes you feel proud, but the workmanship of the New Hartford guitars definately has something to show for the years of advancements that the Guild crafstmen have evolved into. Theres no doubt in my mind.

Heres my used F412:
F412_02.jpg

F412_08.jpg

-Craig

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
dunion said:
I am not interested in laminated arched backs, sort really want a solid piece of wood (maple) back there, are the new ones two piece laminated unlike the original?
Wait a moment, if I look in Hans' book on page 110, it shows an arched maple back F412 from 1976, so they were always laminated, not solid wood if they are arched. Hans wrote "Note the arched maple back, which is a typical Guild feature".
The Rosewood F-512 was and is not arched! Hans wrote on page 111: "Unlike the F-412, which has an arched maple back, the F-512 has a solid rosewood back".
So I guess you got a problem now with your wish list...
Ralf

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
dunion said:
Have an F50, looking at the f412 blonde, have heard original versions in past and liked them. Anyone know how the 'new' ones compare? I am not interested in laminated arched backs, sort really want a solid piece of wood (maple) back there, are the new ones two piece laminated unlike the original?

I sort of also recall a maple (not spruce) fronted one they made at least on custom order (orderable on the order sheet, anyway) but that memory is old - is it correct or misremembering just the spruce top maple sides and back?

Thanks

I do think there were some (at least one) flat-backed maple F-50s made long ago (from the New York factory). Seems like one showed up at auction a year ago. To my knowledge, all the more recent maple F-50 variants (F, JF) have laminated arched maple backs: a sandwich of two outer plies of maple and another wood (Hans mentioned poplar or soft maple) as the inner ply.

The flat-backed maple Guild acoustics I can think of are the D-44M from the '70s and '80s and the maple version of the Gruhn D-6X series. These are dreads...

The only maple-topped Guild acoustic I can think of was the DC-130... a cutaway dread acoustic-electric. From what I hear, their acoustic tone was nothing to speak of... made to be used on-stage plugged in... the maple top was to suppress feedback (and looked darn good, too!).

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
Welcome to LTG Dunion, looks like you're off to a good start already. Getting Han's book will be a big help too. Good luck in the hunt.
Craig, Well said about the Guilds, old and new, as well as the New Hartford 4-12. I have been wanting one since LMG II. It was truely a finely crafted, majestic sounding, beautiful looking guitar! Wish I could have grabbed that one!

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
GardMan said:
The only maple-topped Guild acoustic I can think of was the DC-130... a cutaway dread acoustic-electric. From what I hear, their acoustic tone was nothing to speak of... made to be used on-stage plugged in... the maple top was to suppress feedback (and looked darn good, too!).
O.k., lets look at the DC-130 (with carved heel) :D (Thanks to Toni who had posted that picture earlier)
guildd130e.jpg

neckheelandpreamp.jpg

Ralf

pjheff

Reaction score
GardMan said:
The flat-backed maple Guild acoustics I can think of are the D-44M from the '70s and '80s and the maple version of the Gruhn D-6X series. These are dreads...

I believe that's the D64, and the F44 also fits the description.

ladytexan

Reaction score
dunion said:
Welcome to LTG!

I have had the honor (as did many LTGers who attended LMG - Let's Meet Guild II - last Fall in New Hartford - NH) of playing the NH F412. It is a dream guitar. This is what I noticed between the 'old' and 'new' F412.

Both are arch back maple
Neck is thinner on the NH ones - I found it easier to play
NH weighs less - which, for me, is a good thing :wink:
Both sound magnificent

:)

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
dunion,

I'm wondering if you're asking about 2-piece vs. 1-piece backs, or if you're trying to distinguish between solid-wood and laminated. Those are two completely different subjects.

Anyway, the F-412 is the 12-string version of the F-50 6-string with which you are already familiar. For a time, during the last 10 or so years that production was in Westerly, the F-412 was re-designated a JF-65-12, and the F-50 became the JF-65.

Through most of its history (and currently) the F-412 has been defined as a 17" jumbo, maple 12-string. Like the F-50, the F-412 back is laminated and arched and is one piece. In recent years (2005 - 2011, but not currently made), the GADJF3012 was a solid-maple version of this guitar which I think had a 2-piece, bookmatched back. I don't think it was a 17" jumbo, though. I played one; pretty nice, but not an F-412.

Hope that helps.