D-140 GAD vs D-140 Westerly Collection

Reaction score
Hi,

Anybody actually played any of the new D-140s? Even better, anybody played both the GAD and Westerly Collection models? I'm thinking seriously about pulling the trigger on one or the other; bax-shop has them both listed as available, the GAD for about 70 euros less than the new model. Curious what the difference is besides the headstock. The soundhole inlay on the GAD looks slightly snazzier compared to the (poor quality) pics I've seen of the new ones.

geoguy

Reaction score
Welcome to LTG, jaytee32.

If you buy one of the new Westerly Collection models, you might be the first on this forum to do so.

I just looked on that bax-shop website, & it appears they have the correct pictures for the natural top D-140, but the sunburst D-140 pictures actually show an OM-140.

At first glance, I like the Chesterfield inlay on the Westerly Collection D-140 headstock, but prefer the pickguard shown on Guild's website for the GAD D-140. Maybe someone else can describe other differences between old & new.

Reaction score
Well, if I want to be the first, I'll need to wait a while. I just checked back at the site, and now they say they can deliver in 8 to 9 weeks (yesterday it said 3-4 days).

Thanks for the welcome wishes. Too bad there's not much info out there on these guitars, and nobody seems to carry much guild out this way anymore.

Neal

Reaction score
Jaytee, I owned a D-140 for a while a few years back when I was just getting back into playing. It was a sweet player. My luthier, in particular, liked it a lot.

That guitar allowed me to play more, and get decent enough to buy a few more Guilds.

Neal

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
WELCOME TO LTG, JayTee!
The one that speaks to YOU is the one to get.

OK, tell us more about yourself, as I notice this is a first post. You're spending Euros so there's a clue of sorts. :friendly_wink:

Enjoy your time here,
Joe

Reaction score
Thanks Joe and others for the welcome. I had already found the ISSU link, thanks ... as you said, not much real information there.

About what I'm looking for: a good-sounding all-solid dreadnought. I have a Takamine P1NC (their "NEX" model which is sort of a grand auditorium) I usually play out with, and it's fine in a full band setting, but the more sparse the setting the less fine it sounds. Buddy of mine and I are starting up a two-guitar project which is real sparse. I suspect part of it is that the Tak has no power once it's unplugged, and that becomes apparent in the amplified sound when you start removing things like drums and piano.

What I probably really want is the Sunburst D-55 that Deana Carter's been playing recently ;-) but lacking that kind of cash, I'm looking at the GAD models. I really do want a Sunburst too, just like the look of it, and I'd like to try a mahogany model, my "good" acoustic (Eastman AC422, Grand Auditorium model) has rosewood back and sides. Anyway the idea would be to install some aftermarket pickup in the new Guild (I am interested in the McIntyre Feather) as USTs start to also sound less fine with less instruments.

The other option is to install something in the Eastman, although it's not a dread and it's kind of my at-home guitar and set up extremely low action for fingerstyle, not what we'd be playing.

About me: American living in NL (for a long time now) ... my roots are in North Carolina. My main guitars right now are that Tak, a real nice Telecaster, and the Eastman AC422. Play out with a group of musicians weekly, and have three or so "projects" per year.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey folks no spec details but I figure the same between Gad and the new big W
Here's some info from Córdoba looks good for some and same O'l for GAD replacement line .

Hi Ray,

Thank you for your interest in Guild's Westerly Collection!

You are correct on both counts; these will be replacing the GAD series and continue to be built in our dependable factory located in China.

Some of the models we plan to make right here in Oxnard, CA very soon are: M-20, D-20, F-55 and F-512 to name a few! Keep your eyes open for when they will available to check out at a local dealer.

Have a great day and thanks for choosing Guild!

Edit ;

So I asked about a competitive home model not knowing about the
Above models costs and asked about Westerly specs response as follows.

Hi Ray,

Yes, basically the Westerly series is an expansion of the GAD series. We just simplified the naming system, added a few new models, and made small improvements, like adding the popular "Chesterfield" logo on the headstock, etc.

As far as a competitive line built here in the USA, the M-20 and D-20 will be priced at about $1400, and as far as some of the other models, we are doing everything we can to make them more affordable without compromising the integrity of the guitar.

Hope this helps!

Yes it does . I've kind of felt Córdoba will look after the guild line they make great classical guitars . It certainly is good news since dealers have been very wishy washy about bringing Guild back to store selves

Im glad they moved away from the word GAD LOL

OK play well friends

Last edited:

dreamics

Reaction score
"Some of the models we plan to make right here in Oxnard, CA very soon are: M-20, D-20, F-55 and F-512 to name a few! Keep your eyes open for when they will available to check out at a local dealer."

I wonder if F-55 will be a renaming of the F-50R (consistent with the D-55) or if it will be a new model...

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I wonder if F-55 will be a renaming of the F-50R (consistent with the D-55) or if it will be a new model...

I think they've already said that the F55 is simply a renamed F50. They're going to a new naming convention, apparently. Models with numbers ending in 0 will be low-bling: models with numbers ending in 5 will be higher-bling. At least that's what I recall from post-NAMM discussions.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I think they've already said that the F55 is simply a renamed F50. They're going to a new naming convention, apparently. Models with numbers ending in 0 will be low-bling: models with numbers ending in 5 will be higher-bling. At least that's what I recall from post-NAMM discussions.
That's how I recall it, although thinking about it, it is kinda funny that they kept the classic "M20" model number (which was, after all, originally called the "Economy M20"), but have to rename the D25 and F50 to fit the new numbering scheme.
I did forget about the F512, though. Several folks will be glad to see those.
BTW Dreamics, bear in mind the F50 is maple as opposed to F50r.
Can't seem to find the thread Jeff mentioned to verify whether Cordoba's re-doing it in maple or rosewood.

Watasha

Reaction score
Hey folks no spec details but I figure the same between Gad and the new big W
Here's some info from Córdoba looks good for some and same O'l for GAD replacement line .

Hi Ray,

Thank you for your interest in Guild's Westerly Collection!

You are correct on both counts; these will be replacing the GAD series and continue to be built in our dependable factory located in China.

Some of the models we plan to make right here in Oxnard, CA very soon are: M-20, D-20, F-55 and F-512 to name a few! Keep your eyes open for when they will available to check out at a local dealer.

Have a great day and thanks for choosing Guild!

Edit ;

So I asked about a competitive home model not knowing about the
Above models costs and asked about Westerly specs response as follows.

Hi Ray,

Yes, basically the Westerly series is an expansion of the GAD series. We just simplified the naming system, added a few new models, and made small improvements, like adding the popular "Chesterfield" logo on the headstock, etc.

As far as a competitive line built here in the USA, the M-20 and D-20 will be priced at about $1400, and as far as some of the other models, we are doing everything we can to make them more affordable without compromising the integrity of the guitar.

Hope this helps!

Yes it does . I've kind of felt Córdoba will look after the guild line they make great classical guitars . It certainly is good news since dealers have been very wishy washy about bringing Guild back to store selves

Im glad they moved away from the word GAD LOL

OK play well friends ��

Interesting that they didn't mention the D55 specifically. You would think that the flagship (& best selling) USA built guitar would be at the forefront of USA production. Interesting...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Interesting that they didn't mention the D55 specifically. You would think that the flagship (& best selling) USA built guitar would be at the forefront of USA production. Interesting...
I'm betting they've got good reason to believe that market is saturated for the time being.
Possibly they're still seeing unsold New Hartford inventory around?
Also, they're probably gonna get better cash flow and just plain market awareness from moving more of the lower-priced models (M20 and D20) early on.

geoguy

Reaction score
Personally, I suspect they're busy re-designing the D55 with a 1.75-inch nut . . . :applouse:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Can't seem to find the thread Jeff mentioned to verify whether Cordoba's re-doing it in maple or rosewood.
Here you are (courtesy of txbumper57 who had posted this earlier). The F-55 is the new name for the rosewood version, previously called F-50R. And there is a arched back F-55M coming, the maple version as mentioned below. (so vice versa from F-50 and F-50R). I would have called the maple version maybe a F-45. The strangest change will be the renaming of the arched back F-412 in F-512M ! Why not leaving the maple versions in the "4" range? (F-45 and F-412 maybe) Well, it's Guild tradition to change part numbers!
And yes, the D-55 will be part of the offering as well as it shows.
I think the "Available Spring, 2015" will be more "later in 2015"...

FHUHgw.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I think the "Available Spring, 2015" will be more "later in 2015"...
[/IMG]
Ralf
Thank You Ralf!
JuSt to be sure I didn't miss something, I did check Guild's website to see if any of the new modesl were up yet, but didn't see 'em? I assumed it was because they didn't want to show anything they couldn't deliver yet.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

Remembering stories about start up operations at other Guild plants, I suspect they want to "debug" the production line, associated processes and the factory in general on something "simpler", so I would expect the Flagship would not be the first model produced, but it is high on someone's plans. It may also be that the NH produced D55's are still available to fill orders.

Reaction score
Somehow my reply to the gentleman asking for more information about me and what I was looking for, has gotten buried amongst the non-GAD and non-Westerly information posted later. I think what happened is that I'm being moderated (SOP for newcomers?) but instead of letting my post show up with the *approved* date determining its posting order, it showed up with the *original post date* which was about a day earlier. Suggestion to the mod to fix this, otherwise newcomers' posts can easily get lost in popular threads; it's assumed that new material will show up at the end :)

For reference I've included that post again here below.

J "hoping that I'm not moderated anymore or you other guys are temporarily talked out" T

Thanks Joe and others for the welcome. I had already found the ISSU link, thanks ... as you said, not much real information there.

About what I'm looking for: a good-sounding all-solid dreadnought. I have a Takamine P1NC (their "NEX" model which is sort of a grand auditorium) I usually play out with, and it's fine in a full band setting, but the more sparse the setting the less fine it sounds. Buddy of mine and I are starting up a two-guitar project which is real sparse. I suspect part of it is that the Tak has no power once it's unplugged, and that becomes apparent in the amplified sound when you start removing things like drums and piano.

What I probably really want is the Sunburst D-55 that Deana Carter's been playing recently ;-) but lacking that kind of cash, I'm looking at the GAD models. I really do want a Sunburst too, just like the look of it, and I'd like to try a mahogany model, my "good" acoustic (Eastman AC422, Grand Auditorium model) has rosewood back and sides. Anyway the idea would be to install some aftermarket pickup in the new Guild (I am interested in the McIntyre Feather) as USTs start to also sound less fine with less instruments.

The other option is to install something in the Eastman, although it's not a dread and it's kind of my at-home guitar and set up extremely low action for fingerstyle, not what we'd be playing.

About me: American living in NL (for a long time now) ... my roots are in North Carolina. My main guitars right now are that Tak, a real nice Telecaster, and the Eastman AC422. Play out with a group of musicians weekly, and have three or so "projects" per year.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
The first five posts or so are moderated. One to go :) I am reasonably certain that there is no setting that will add a post to a thread based on the approval time rather than the posting time. If anyone knows otherwise and can give specific techie to techie type instructions PM them to me or another moderator.

However there are many many people who seem to be incapable of reading any posts in the thread, new or not. but just react. I learned not to be frustrated when someone asks a question that was answered two posts above theirs, although if the information is important I may get snarky.

Last edited: