Broken Truss Rod

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking for another guild to replace my son's 1987 Acoustic Guild that was damaged beyond repair. He is in Long Term Care in a State Hospital in VA. He is a prolific songwriter. The Hospital allowed him to have a guitar and a cheap recorder in his room. Unfortunately an incident occurred and the guitar was shattered and thrown away. My son is in a very difficult situation and his heart is now broken. We are a "Guild family" and I have been desperately trying to find another Guild to replace it with. Obviously...I am looking for a playable guild guitar with good action, that is relatively inexpensive. I found one ....but it has a broken truss rod. Just wondering if that can be replaced or if it has to be replaced? I have not committed to the guitar yet. I cannot afford to pay much for another guitar. Just wondering if anyone out there might have some advice. Sincerely, Raymann

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi, sorry to hear that on several levels. :-(

You would probably have to have the fingerboard removed to replace the trussrod. It depends on where the break is, of course. We can snoop around for a deal if you tell us what your budget is. The used gear website at Guitar Center is a good place to start.

Neal

Reaction score
Raymann, sorry to hear about your son's troubles. If I can be of assistance, I would be happy to help (I live in Charlottesville).

Do you know what model Guild was destroyed? Or at least something about its size, shape, etc? It would be nice to find something close to what he had.

There are super good deals out there on D-25's specifically. Something of around the same vintage can often be found in good playing shape for around $500, which is probably less than you will pay to buy a broken guitar and have the truss rod replaced.

Neal

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Raymann, welcome to LTG. I'm sorry to hear your story, but you came to the right place. Yes, you should skip this one with the broken TR and look for another. As Neal asked, do you know what model your son's guitar is/was? The body style and materials are important to decide on before you start the hunt.