Glen Campbell "Witchita Lineman" solo

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Ran across this video last night. The interview is good, but the performance of "Wichita Lineman" is outstanding. Glen alone on guitar. What stunned me was how he played an amazing guitar solo in the middle, but with no band backing him up, so you can really hear him play, and the audience is totally silent. You can see the joy on his face as he plays it. Great stuff!

"Witchita Lineman" starts at 8:50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGicA5rd4vg

walrus

crank

Reaction score
Thanks for this. I have been thinking about trying this song and this vid is not only a great version it is a great tutorial as well.

parker_knoll

Reaction score
great video. do you think it's really true that he played guitar on "all the Beach Boys stuff"?

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Glen was essentially a "Beach Boy" touring with them for years and also, as part of the Wrecking Crew played on many of their records as well as recordings by Bobby Darin, Ricky Nelson, Dean Martin, Nat King Cole, The Monkees, Nancy Sinatra, Merle Haggard, Jan and Dean, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra and Phil Spector. I don't know about "all" but I'm sure he's there playing on a whole bunch of their stuff. He toured with the Beach Boys from 1964 to 1965.

walrus, thanks for this. What a great song and an amazing artist!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
crank, I learned a nice version of this song - but one not as complex as what he's doing on this video! It's really a great song to play. I'd love to work out some sort of solo like he does here, that really blew my mind.

walrus

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Glen was essentially a "Beach Boy" touring with them for years and also, as part of the Wrecking Crew played on many of their records as well as recordings by Bobby Darin, Ricky Nelson, Dean Martin, Nat King Cole, The Monkees, Nancy Sinatra, Merle Haggard, Jan and Dean, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra and Phil Spector. I don't know about "all" but I'm sure he's there playing on a whole bunch of their stuff. He toured with the Beach Boys from 1964 to 1965.

walrus, thanks for this. What a great song and an amazing artist!

wow, had no idea.

parker_knoll

Reaction score
checks out. here is in the uniform striped shirt:

beachboys.jpg

and here he is with Brian... playing bass

6a00d8341c630a53ef0168e71ef4dd970c-600wi

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
so Glen lived in same town in California?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
so Glen lived in same town in California?

Not in the sense I think you mean. They didn't "know each other" , he was born in Texas and moved to LA. It was from the Wrecking Crew connection when they hit the big time and started using Capitol's studios in early '63. Brian Wilson started calling in more highly skilled session musicians for his increasingly demanding arrangements.(see Wiki's Beach Boys page)
The Wrecking Crew was a loose association of session musicians who were so tight and dependable that they were basically "first call" for any session work in LA in the '60's heydey of the top 40 pop single.
That's why they're found on so many of 'em.
One notorious example is the Byrds' "Mr Tambourine Man". Legend has it that the only Byrd playing an instrument on that is McGuinn on the 12-string.
Quotes from that Wiki link:
"The record producers most often associated with the Wrecking Crew are: Phil Spector, who used the Crew to create his trademark "Wall of Sound"; and Beach Boys member and songwriter Brian Wilson, who used the Crew's talents on many of his mid-1960s productions including the songs "Good Vibrations", "California Girls", Pet Sounds..."
"Glen Campbell later achieved solo fame as a singer-guitarist in the 1960s and 1970s, and Leon Russell and Mac Rebennack (as Dr. John) both went on to be successful songwriters and had hit singles and albums."
From Wiki's Glen Campbell page:
In 1960, Campbell moved to Los Angeles to become a session musician
In 1962 Campbell signed with Capitol records.
From December 1964 to early March 1965, Campbell was a touring member of the Beach Boys, filling in for Brian Wilson.[9] He also played guitar on the group's Pet Sounds album, among other recordings. On tour, he played bass guitar and sang falsetto harmonies.
I got a suspicion you may be unaware of Brian's tragic and debilitating anxiety issues which were what caused him to "bow out" beginning with the early touring and which was how Glen came to fill in for him. (from the Wiki Beach Boys page)::
"By the end of the year, the stress of road travel, composing, producing and maintaining a high level of creativity became too much for Brian. On December 23, while on a flight from Los Angeles to Houston, he suffered a panic attack only hours after performing with the Beach Boys on the musical variety series Shindig!.[43] In January 1965, he announced his withdrawal from touring to concentrate entirely on songwriting and record production. For the rest of 1964 and into 1965, Glen Campbell served as Wilson's temporary replacement in concert, until his own career success pulled him from the group in April 1965."

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Whoa! He played on the Pet Sounds album. Well that is seminal. Awesome!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Posts like these stir up my envy on not being alive and old enough to remember the 60s and 70s. I always figure that would have been the best time to be like 15 to 25 years old....from like '63-'73...

alas.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
WW, if it is only music you are thinking about, the years you mention were transformational. But at the ages you want to be, the great music came with lots of baggage, particularly the likelihood you'd be listening to some of it in Vietnam...

walrus

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
WW, if it is only music you are thinking about, the years you mention were transformational. But at the ages you want to be, the great music came with lots of baggage, particularly the likelihood you'd be listening to some of it in Vietnam...

walrus

Good point Walrus. But what a time all around, the stories, the struggle, strife, successes.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Good point Walrus. But what a time all around, the stories, the struggle, strife, successes.
Why am I experiencing this sudden feeling of deja vu all over again?
Maybe it's 'cause I watched "Woodstock" with the girlfriend over the holiday, to try to give her a little insight about what was going on?
But still there's something else tugging at the periphery of my recollections...
I could swear we visited that topic with somebody recently...
I'll get back to you if I come up with anything.
In the meantime I think I'll go cue up "Riot on Sunset Strip"....:friendly_wink:

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Denny Tedesco, the son of one of the Wrecking Crew's guitarists, Tommy Tedesco, put together a wonderful film about his dad and the other musicians in The Wrecking Crew. It languished unseen until he put together a Kickstarter campaign to finally get the licensing rights to all of the music the Crew played on (I participated and got the book, DVD, and t-shirt). Once you hear the songs, you'll understand why it took so long - they're most of the biggest hits of the '60's.

Here's an old interview with wrecking crew drummer, Hal Blaine by Terri Gross on Fresh Air.

The film is in theatrical release, mostly at art cinemas, and the DVD is now available.

Highly, highly recommended.

Last edited:

parker_knoll

Reaction score
Denny Tedesco, the son of one of the Wrecking Crew's guitarists, Tommy Tedesco, put together a wonderful film about his dad and the other musicians in The Wrecking Crew. It languished unseen until he put together a Kickstarter campaign to finally get the licensing rights to all of the music the Crew played on (I participated and got the book, DVD, and t-shirt). Once you hear the songs, you'll understand why it took so long - they're most of the biggest hits of the '60's.

Here's an old interview with wrecking crew drummer, Hal Blaine by Terri Gross on Fresh Air.

The film is in theatrical release, mostly at art cinemas, and the DVD is now available.

Highly, highly recommended.

thank you, gonna watch this later

EDIT: found two versions, one from 2008, one from 2015. one may just be a re-release of the other, I'll be able to confirm that later