Hoboken and Westerly bridges on D-50's – rosewood or ebony?

nielDa

Reaction score
Hoboken and Westerly bridges on D-50's – rosewood or ebony?

Does anyone know the "timeline" for Guild using rosewood and/or ebony for D-50 bridges? My 1971 D-50 came with a rosewood bridge, which I think was typical. But I'm asking because in photos I've seen recently of 1970, 71 and 72 D-50's, some bridges are rosewood, others are either ebony or very dark rosewood, hard to tell. Similar question with pickguards - tortoise or black? Just curious if, during those years, Guild was consistent or if those parts varied, if they just used what was available.

Last edited:

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
IIRC, the D-50 had rosewood bridges until ~74, then switched to ebony sometime that year. My '76 has an ebony bridge, and I don't think I have seen an original rosewood bridge on any D-50s after '74. I think the time line is in the fine print in the margin of the D-50 page in Hans' book.

Reaction score
I have several F-50 guitars from the 70s and the earlier ones have Rosewood (1971) and my 1975 has an Ebony bridge. If Guild followed the same timeline for D-50 guitars, I would say 1974-1975 is a good place to look for that change.

nielDa

Reaction score
Thanks. I've been looking at photos of D50's from various years. With lighter-color rosewood bridges in the photos, it's easy to identify. With the blackish-looking bridges, it's either ebony, dark rosewood, or bad lighting. However, finding some good photos, the switch to ebony around 1974 looks right.