GB Twin Reverb...

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Interesting. Due to the trend of smaller wattage tube amps, it seems that craigslist is glutted with Fender Twins from all eras at reasonable prices. I loved the one I had with JBL E120s adding to its incredible close-to-100lb bulk. Uggh! I once hauled that thing up a NYC four-story walk up to prevent it from getting stolen. But man did it sound great!

There's gotta be a way to do something with all of the excess vintage Twins. I once saw an example where someone swapped a Twin chassis into a Bandmaster head cab and loaded it with two Neo 10" speakers. Brilliant!

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
craigslist is glutted with Fender Twins from all eras at reasonable prices.

Now, I have to learn about Fender Twins !

But I don't NEED an amp at all.

I could get a case of A.A.S. I'm glad the phrase is ACQUISITION and not SECURING or SCORING or something else like that.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ok, I just Wiki'd up and maybe Fender Twins are WAY more amps than I need. I don't like trying to carry my old late 70s Randall 2 X 10 combo amp and it doesn't weigh as much.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
You can trim down a Twin Reverb a bit by pulling two of the power tubes, installing the chassis in a "head" cabinet and routing it to a smaller/lighter 8 Ohm speaker cab. If something like a Pro Reverb is what you're after, this could be a reasonable alternative even with the additional cost of the cab(s) & speaker.

-Dave-

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
You can trim down a Twin Reverb a bit by pulling two of the power tubes, installing the chassis in a "head" cabinet and routing it to a smaller/lighter 8 Ohm speaker cab. If something like a Pro Reverb is what you're after, this could be a reasonable alternative even with the additional cost of the cab(s) & speaker.

-Dave-
That's what I'm saying! They really are far too powerful for most people's needs, however, an on-board attenuator, a new cab and lightweight speakers can result in the perfect all-rounder.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Considering how much they cost, that seems like a lot of work.
Yeah, you're probably right. I guess it's my reaction to seeing the skyrocketing prices of vintage Fender tube amps, while the twins are still affordable. Just hate to see these great amps not getting used.

guildman63

Reaction score
There has to be a way to make a 40lb amp that is comparable in tone to a twin. If so, it would have a home with me!

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
That's local to me. There are always a bunch of twins around here. If I didn't already have a couple of amp projects on the bench, I might be tempted to make a portable Fender Twin Mini Beast!