TRIC Deluxe Multifit Case for CE-100...

guildman63

Reaction score
This case was mentioned on the jazzguitar forum for use with an ES-175, which is a little deeper than a Hoboken CE-100. Does anyone have any experience with this case for a vintage CE-100? It's interesting in that not only is it light like a gig bag, but it provides thermal protection as well, which is helpful when going out in the cold winter or hot summer. And it's only $99!

zizala

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
I once had a Godin 5th Avenue that I kept out in CO for my visits to family.

It had that TRIC case and I believe it would fit a CE-100 nicely.
I don't have it anymore but I remember the the 5th avenue as being 16" but a bit thinner bodied than an ES-125, so it might actually be perfect.
Thats a good idea....I'd forgotten about those.

guildman63

Reaction score
Ziz,

Was your Tric case well made and durable? Most reviews I read were good, but the one knock was that the hinges were fragile and prone to giving out. Only one site mentioned that, but so let me know what you think.

zizala

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
I'd say it well made.......it was one of the first ones when the Godin arch tops were introduced so don't know if they've evolved the design since.
It had a high density foam material on the outside and molded plastic interior with suspension supports.
Very light.....I'd say the foam exterior could easily accumulate dings and dents but protect the guitar inside well.
I didn't have it long enough to have noticed any weakness in the hinges.

That said.....no CE-100 to try in that case at the time but I'm fairly sure t would fit....don't hold me to it!

guildman63

Reaction score
I ordered one today, so I'll let you know. My CE is 2 3/4" deep at the rim, and 3.5 (with harp) / 4.0 (with Guildsby). I think it will fit well, and the thermal protection will be great in the winter. Also, it will allow me to preserve that near-mint original case. :peaceful:

Last edited:

guildman63

Reaction score
The case arrived this morning. I only had time for a quick fit test, and initial indications are that it fits like a glove! There isn't much space on either side of the tuners, but the guitar doesn't move at all in any direction, so it should be just fine. With a harp instead of the Guildsby there will be about 1/2" of space on top, but that is easily remedied with a piece of foam if I have any concerns, which I am not expecting. Pictures and a better assessment will follow tonight or tomorrow.

guildman63

Reaction score
Okay, the pictures and full assessment are in!

Velcro closure for the handles seems sturdy, as does the zipper. The zipper maintains a secure seal between the top and body of the case, and the cover itself should be able to withstand plenty of use, and a little abuse.

The pocket on the front is big enough from top to bottom and side to side, but it has virtually no depth to it. It will handle a thin book or a handful of sheets of paper, and not much more.

As you can see, there is little room to spare beside the headstock and tuners, but there is little to no wiggle of the guitar, so I am calling it an efficient use of space. The hinges are made of plastic, and as such "may" be prone to the effects of stress over time, but we shall see. The good news, from what I have found online, is that they are relatively easy to replace if necessary, and I am not a high stress user, so I am not concerned.

Zero wiggle room at the upper bout, and what can't be seen from this photo is what amounts to a cutout for the neck heel, so that the guitar fits securely.

Zero wiggle room at the lower bout as well. There is not a cutout for the strap button, and that would not be a bad update, but as securely as the guitar fits it shouldn't be an issue. And for the only real issue I have with this case, notice the strap that secures the top of the case to the body, and then notice the protruding tongue just below it that fits into the groove on the top to create a thermal seal. The strap is outside of the tongue, and when closing the case that strap gets folded across the tongue and onto the guitar. As the case closes that strap gets wedged between the tongue and groove thereby slightly compromising the seal at that location. Over time what effect will that have on the overall seal? It would be nice if there was a way to attach the strap to the inside of the tongue and groove so that it does not interfere with the seal.

Here you can see the accommodation for the neck heel.

D rings for the back straps seem sturdy enough.

The inner storage compartment is very spacious.

So there it is. Ultimately, this appears to be a very good option for an ES-175 or CE-100.