Check out this X-170...

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I used to have one just like it. Some of those X170s are really very pretty. Very nice guitar but I need a Guildsby. :)

_B0Z4360-Crop_800.jpg

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
She's coming home!

Nice!

When I had mine I was taking lessons from a Jazz guy who begged me not to sell it, but he couldn't buy it and I'm no jazz guy. :)

I've owned many Guilds, and there's always been something about the X170s that I've loved. They're solid like a Guild should be, where my Gretsch always sort of felt a little bit fragile. Playability was through the roof, too.

I think you're going to be a happy guy!

guildman63

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the year of this guitar. Either way I'm tempted to put Seth Lovers in. I'll see how the stock pups sound once it arrives. I have had a few X-170's over the years, and believe it or not I tend to prefer the newer pickups in this model. That said, each guitar is different.

guildman63

Reaction score
I'm SO glad you bought it! My foot was beginning to twITch as my wallet was trying to get out . . . :emmersed:

Just helpin' out a brother!

Regarding pickups, I heard some samples this morning of the Lindy Fralin PurePAF pups, and they also sound great. Does anyone have any thoughts on how they compare to the Seth Lovers? Both seem to be designed to provide a classic 50's PAF tone, so they are probably quite similar. The Lindy Fralin P-92 hum cancelling single coils also sound great, but I have the single coil thing covered.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I've never played a guitar with the Fralins installed. But I have tried out sets of the Seth Lovers, Lollar low-wind Imperials and Bare Knuckle Mules in the same guitar (a '90s thinline Telecaster, routed for HBs). The owner went with the Lovers as they were the meatiest sounding of the three and she wanted more thump from the guitar. I prefered the Imperials as they had the tightest low end and best high-end clarity. The Mules were the second choice for both of us…they were less mid-forward than the Lovers but with most of the Imperials' chime.

PAFs themselves vary so much that rather than going after "that sound," which is in fact a range of sounds, it's IMO best to just follow your own ears. This can take time and $$ depending on how particular you may be. ;)

-Dave-

guildman63

Reaction score
I had a guitar with Seth Lovers, and I like them very much. I was hoping someone here would have experience with the SL and Pure PAF pups to tell me how the two compare.

MikeMcA1

Reaction score
That guitar is a beauty. Here's hoping you like the pickups that are in there but changes are fun too. Seth Lovers seem to work for a large majority of players that change to them. Enjoy!

Last edited:

guildman63

Reaction score
That guitar needs vintage HB1s! :)

I think I have settled on Fralin Pure PAF's when the time comes, but one never knows what will ultimately wind up under the hood. I plan to keep the original SD's at first as I have liked those on this model in the past.

guildman63

Reaction score
She arrived today, and aside from needing an overall cleaning and new strings I can barely find any faults with it. The body has maybe one pin-sized mark, but had I not inspected it very carefully I would have never seen it. Aside from that the body looks nearly brand new. Once the frets are polished and the guitar cleaned it should be a fantastic guitar. More details will follow once I get to plug it in tonight.