Check out this X-170...

guildman63

Reaction score
I had a chance to play this guitar last night and this morning, and I forgot how nice these guitars sound. The neck is very comfortable, and straight as an arrow. The tone is fairly warm, but with very good note separation and a bit of an airy quality to it that would be expected from a thicker archtop (only 2.5" depth on this one). Playing through my Fender George Benson HRD it does everything well from clean jazz to aggressive blues. For $1200 - $1500 this guitar is a bargain. I hope they remain a relative secret so that the price remains low.

guildman63

Reaction score
My X-170 is at the shop awaiting new pups...Seth Lovers! I know those Guild purists among us are vomiting in their mouths that I didn't choose HB-1's, but the Seth Lovers sounded great in my GSR Starfire, and were used in the GSR X-500 as well. I am sure they will work great in this X-170. Best of all, there will be no cutting or drilling of any kind! My tech will make two adapters, one for each pup to allow the single bass-side screw on the Seth Lover to be compatible with the two screws on the original rings. Each adapter will have three holes. The center hole will attach to the Seth Lover, then the original two holes can control the pickup height. Totally reversible without a trace!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
My X-170 is at the shop awaiting new pups...Seth Lovers! I know those Guild purists among us are vomiting in their mouths that I didn't choose HB-1's, but the Seth Lovers sounded great in my GSR Starfire, and were used in the GSR X-500 as well. I am sure they will work great in this X-170. Best of all, there will be no cutting or drilling of any kind! My tech will make two adapters, one for each pup to allow the single bass-side screw on the Seth Lover to be compatible with the two screws on the original rings. Each adapter will have three holes. The center hole will attach to the Seth Lover, then the original two holes can control the pickup height. Totally reversible without a trace!

Kudos for the idea of keeping the rings stock.

Guild shipped with similar adapters for years. Here's a pic of a Fender HB1 pic in a Guild HB1 ring through the use of an adapter.

GuildFender-HB1-Adapted.jpg

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh, and I had a Bluesbird with Seth Lovers and they were fantastic pickups!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
TV Jones offers adapters to mount their English mount Filtertrons (regular Humbucker Mount) into a Blacktop mounting ring. I am not absolutely sure but they look like the same spread that is on the Original HB1's and SD-1's. I think they are $5 for the little adapter. Look like the duncan ones above. Here is the link.

https://store.tvjones.com/dual-screw-mount-adaptor-p148.aspx

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Subtle! :crazy:

My middle name... I tend to make my point quicker as I get older.
The realization of time's pace I'm sure. As David once said "a man of few words".

With that said, and despite a well anchored bias for HB1's, I have no doubt the "Lovers" will make a great sounding guitar, and eagerly await David's feedback. :peach:

Last edited:

Guildadelphia

Reaction score
As a "drop in" option, Duncan Seth Lovers are about as good as it gets IMO. Lower output, no mud, very articulate....a much more accurate representation of vintage PAFs as opposed to most of the high output, muddy, metal orientated 'buckers out there. Seths came stock in my ESP/Edwards Les Paul clone and they restored my faith in PAF type 'buckers.

guildman63

Reaction score
The Seth Lovers are in, and they sound fantastic! Very clear, great separation, and well balanced (with some tweaking of the pole piece height). An updated picture will follow later.

guildman63

Reaction score
The official word on the exact production year came down from the top. It's from 1998, in case anyone besides me cares. :cool-new: