Late 90's X-170 with Seth Lovers...

guildman63

Reaction score
On Saturday I got this back from having Seth Lovers installed, and I couldn't be happier. I had a chance to use it tonight with my group, and the clarity of these pups was incredible! I did not dislike the original SD-1's, but these Seth Lovers are perfect for this guitar. And as you can see the original rings remain. My tech made adaptors out of brass and drilled three holes in each. The bass side of each pickup was anchored to the center hole, and then the outer holes were compatible with the original two screws for each pickup.

Please pardon the photos. I took these pictures at night in my living room, which had limited lighting. I used my wife's new photo editing software (Affinity) to adjust various levels and colors, and I am still learning how to use that software.

Guildadelphia

Reaction score
Glad to hear you like the Seths. Have a set in my Edwards LP and I love them. Your're the second person I'm aware of on the LTG who put a pair in an X-170 this year and likes them. An excellent upgrade from the stock Fender 'buckers.

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Yeah, good choice. I like the Lovers…they have good midrange punch for folks accustomed to that from HBs, while the lack of potting and relatively low wind give the treble some welcome air. Enjoy 'em!

-Dave-

DThomasC

Reaction score
And, if you're putting them in a Guild with three height adjustment screws, try tilting them a little so the pole screws are closer to the strings. If you play around with it you can dial in more single coil clarity at the expense of HB meat. Of course that's true of any HB, even HB-1's, but I think the Seth Lovers work especially well tilted slightly.

rg2002

Reaction score
Glad to hear you like the Seths. Have a set in my Edwards LP and I love them. Your're the second person I'm aware of on the LTG who put a pair in an X-170 this year and likes them. An excellent upgrade from the stock Fender 'buckers.

Yep I like 'em in mine. :)

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
And, if you're putting them in a Guild with three height adjustment screws, try tilting them a little so the pole screws are closer to the strings. If you play around with it you can dial in more single coil clarity at the expense of HB meat.

Yep, I discovered this accidentally with the DiMarzios (not the original pickups but made for the three-screw Guild config) in my Nightbird. Being mostly a single-coil guy, IMO more clarity is good. :)

-Dave-

planetguy

Reaction score
? The answer is in the title and and became the major subject of the thread. Maybe I don't understand the question...

in the "archtops/hollowbodies"the thread title simply says:

Late 90's X-170 with Seth Lovers...

and when i click the link for the thread and i'm directed there....that's the same title that shows. no model number.

thanks.

Last edited:

planetguy

Reaction score
AHHHH. So, "Seth Lover" is the model and not the brand!

They're made by Seymour Duncan and Seth Lover is the model...gottit. thanks for the clarification.

guildman63

Reaction score
I played at a local jazz club Sunday and used my X-170. After our set one of our horn players commented that my guitar sounded so clear, and was very good.

ArchtopAnimal

Reaction score
On Saturday I got this back from having Seth Lovers installed, and I couldn't be happier. I had a chance to use it tonight with my group, and the clarity of these pups was incredible! I did not dislike the original SD-1's, but these Seth Lovers are perfect for this guitar. And as you can see the original rings remain. My tech made adaptors out of brass and drilled three holes in each. The bass side of each pickup was anchored to the center hole, and then the outer holes were compatible with the original two screws for each pickup.

Please pardon the photos. I took these pictures at night in my living room, which had limited lighting. I used my wife's new photo editing software (Affinity) to adjust various levels and colors, and I am still learning how to use that software.

That's a really nice job with the holes . They're nice pickups too . Did your guy replace those ceramic disc caps with something decent ? I re-drilled a centre one for my Wolfetone Dr Vintage :

guildman63

Reaction score
No drilling or cutting was done. The pickup rings are the original rings. For each pickup my luthier took a small piece of brass in which he put three holes. The new pickup was anchored to the center hole, and the two outer holes simulated the holes on the original pickup. The new Seth Lover pickups now adjust exactly as the original pickups did. At any time I can have the original pickups reinstalled with no signs that anything was ever done.

With the exception of the actual pickups, everything, including the pickup screws, is completely original.

Last edited: